How do you get cancer and why is it always the nicest people?

Drink diet soda
Eat poorly
use sugar substitutes for everything
smoke cigarettes
don't exercise
microwave EVERYTHING
take your flu vaccine EVERY YEAR

all nice ways to break your body down and make it easy for cancer cells to grow...

my dad passed away from cancer last thursday, it is a terrible thing. especially to see someone you know and love suffer.

Originally Posted by devildog1776

Drink diet soda
Eat poorly
smoke cigarettes
don't exercise
microwave EVERYTHING

all nice ways to break your body down and make it easy for cancer cells to grow...
Not exactly. Scientists are linking EVERYTHING to cancer, and the truth is, it does not discriminate. Every single day, people with great health habits are diagnosed with some kind of cancer. People who were the perfect picture of health are succumbing to this disease as I type.
smh.gif
Just sad.

Originally Posted by keepzdasneakz

Originally Posted by HyphySole

I loved my mom, and cancer took her life. Not a day that goes by that I dont think of her
frown.gif
 I've lost 2 close family members to cancer as well.
lost my mother last summer, Breast cancer diagnosed 10 yrs ago, Tamoxifen did nothing, spread to the liver & lungs.  Cancer is a monster.

You guys are morons.
It isn't always the "nicest" people.   Bad people die too you know.

Cancer is largely genetic, but in many cases cancer also needs another "trigger", such as smoking or 

radiation for it to occur.  One-two punch.

My brother died of cancer.

19 year old D-I baseball player... one of the most athletic, healthiest kid I knew.

smh.gif

Drink diet soda
Eat poorly
smoke cigarettes
don't exercise
microwave EVERYTHING

I'm gonna stop using the microwave as much. 

Originally Posted by raptors29

Drink diet soda
Eat poorly
smoke cigarettes
don't exercise
microwave EVERYTHING

Because some random on the internet says it gives you cancer?  
You do realized he also said that getting the flu vaccine every year gives you cancer.

eyes.gif
eyes.gif

Topics like this bother me a lot. My mom had breast cancer and beat it. Two years after, she goes to the doctor and they found it again. She's fighting everyday of her life and she's the strongest person I know.

Originally Posted by raptors29

Drink diet soda
Eat poorly
smoke cigarettes
don't exercise
microwave EVERYTHING

Microwaving your food doesn't give you cancer does it? I thought it was STANDING IN FRONT of a microwave that causes cancers.

All the things you mentioned are risk factors for cancer but cancer can also be due to random events such as mutations in seemingly healthy individuals.....look at Lance Armstrong. Cancer may also be due to genetic factors(breast cancer) and viral infections (HPV and cervical cancer).

There's no connection- correlation or causation. Anyone can get it, and that's the sad part.

Originally Posted by Savraj1

There's no connection- correlation or causation. Anyone can get it, and that's the sad part.
The air we breathe can potentially cause cancer. Oxygen (yes oxygen), causes cancer in the form of free radicals leading to genetic mutations. Our body has a defense mechanism that neutralizes reactive forms of oxygen but like everything else in our body it isn't perfect..

Originally Posted by BallRN23

It is NOT genetic guys. It IS lifestyle.
[sarcasm]yea that makes a lot of sense[/sarcasm]

so i was living some rugged %## lifestyle at the age of 18 months when i got cancer and that's why i got it?  please stop...

to say it's NOT genetics is crazy...it can be both.

Originally Posted by BallRN23

It is NOT genetic guys. It IS lifestyle.

[h1]BRCA1[/h1][table][tr][td][table][tr][td]edit[/td][/tr][/table][table][tr][th=""]Breast cancer 1, early onset[/th][/tr][tr][td]
PDB rendering based on 1jm7.[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Available structures[/th][/tr][tr][td]1jm7, 1jnx, 1n5o, 1oqa, 1t15, 1t29, 1t2u, 1t2v, 1y98[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Identifiers[/th][/tr][tr][th=""]Symbols[/th][td]BRCA1; BRCAI; BRCC1; IRIS; PSCP; RNF53[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]External IDs[/th][td]OMIM113705 MGI104537 HomoloGene5276 GeneCards: BRCA1 Gene[/td][/tr][tr][td][table][tr][th=""][show]Gene ontology[/th][/tr][tr][th=""]Molecular function[/th][td] molecular_function
DNA binding
damaged DNA binding
transcription coactivator activity
ubiquitin-protein ligase activity
protein binding
zinc ion binding
tubulin binding
enzyme binding
metal ion binding
androgen receptor binding
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Cellular component[/th][td] ubiquitin ligase complex
condensed chromosome
cellular_component
intracellular
nucleus
cytoplasm
gamma-tubulin ring complex
BRCA1-BARD1 complex
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Biological process[/th][td] cell cycle checkpoint
DNA replication
DNA repair
regulation of transcription from RNA polymerase II promoter
regulation of transcription from RNA polymerase III promoter
fatty acid biosynthetic process
DNA damage response, signal transduction by p53 class mediator resulting in transcription of p21 class mediator
cell cycle
chromosome segregation
centrosome cycle
DNA damage response, signal transduction resulting in induction of apoptosis
dosage compensation, by inactivation of X chromosome
negative regulation of transcription
protein ubiquitination
androgen receptor signaling pathway
positive regulation of protein ubiquitination
regulation of cell proliferation
regulation of apoptosis
negative regulation of fatty acid biosynthetic process
positive regulation of DNA repair
negative regulation of progression through cell cycle
positive regulation of transcription, DNA-dependent
negative regulation of centriole replication
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][tr][th=""]RNA expression pattern[/th][/tr][tr][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]More reference expression data[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Orthologs[/th][/tr][tr][th=""]Species[/th][td]Human[/td][td]Mouse[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Entrez[/th][td]672[/td][td]12189[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Ensembl[/th][td]ENSG00000012048[/td][td]ENSMUSG00000017146[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]UniProt[/th][td]P38398[/td][td]Q3UMS5[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]RefSeq (mRNA)[/th][td]NM_007294[/td][td]NM_009764[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]RefSeq (protein)[/th][td]NP_009225[/td][td]NP_033894[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]Location (UCSC)[/th][td]Chr 17:
38.45 - 38.53 Mb
[/td][td]Chr 11:
101.31 - 101.37 Mb
[/td][td]
[/td][/tr][tr][th=""]PubMed search[/th][td][1][/td][td][2][/td][td]
[/td][/tr][/table][/td][/tr][tr][td]

Location of the BRCA1 gene on chromosome 17.
[/td][/tr][/table]
BRCA1 (breast cancer 1, early onset) is a human tumor suppressor gene, which produces a protein, called breast cancer type 1 susceptibility protein. It is found in the cells of breast and other tissue, where it helps repair damaged DNA,and destroy the cell when DNA can't be repaired. If BRCA1 itself isdamaged, the damaged DNA can let the cell duplicate without control,and turn into a cancer.[sup][1][/sup][sup][2][/sup]

The proteinencoded by the BRCA1 gene combines with other tumor suppressors, DNAdamage sensors, and signal transducers to form a large multi-subunitprotein complex known as the BRCA1-associated genome surveillancecomplex (BASC).[sup][3][/sup] The BRCA1 protein associates with RNA polymerase II, and through the C-terminal domain, also interacts with histone deacetylase complexes. This protein thus plays a role in transcription, DNA repair of double-stranded breaks[sup][2][/sup]ubiquitination, transcriptional regulation as well as other functions.[sup][4][/sup]
[h2]Cause of retinoblastoma[/h2]
In children with the heritable genetic form of retinoblastoma there is a mutation on chromosome 13, called the RB1 gene.[sup][5][/sup] The genetic codes found in chromosomes control the way in which cells grow and develop within the body.[sup][6][/sup] If a portion of the code is missing or altered (mutation) a cancer may develop.

The defective RB1 gene can be inherited from either parent; in somechildren, however, the mutation occurs in the early stages of fetaldevelopment. It is unknown what causes the gene abnormality; it is mostlikely to be a random mistake during the copy process which occurs whena cell divides.

Genetic forms of retinoblastomas are more likely to be bilateral; in addition, they may be associated with pinealoblastoma (also known as trilateral retinoblastoma) with a dismal outcome.[sup][5][/sup] The genetic codes found in chromosomes control the way in which cells grow and develop within the body.[sup][7][/sup]

OK. I'm not trying to have a bunch of arguments on NT so as long as we're all mature it's all good. IMO, our cells (in the vast majority of people) are genetically equipped for healthy function.

It is MAINLY due to lifestyle/environment, there is a genetic component to it but not everyone with that gene will get the cancer. In other words, you are NOT doomed by your genetics. Look into epigenetics. How the expression of your genes is affected by environment is huge! What is happening now that we exercise less, eat more crap, pollute our environment more? More cancer, heart disease, stroke, metabolic and inflammatory conditions, etc. What are the top killers in society? Are they preventable and mainly associated with lifestyle? We are born to express health, if given the raw ingredients that are needed.

To the dude that had cancer at 18 months....first off, I'm glad you are here today to express your opinions. Secondly, there is no way that you can say environment was not a possible cause. For example, what you ate, what your mom ate, vaccinations, other stressors, etc. Come on, you can't really tell me that environment was not a factor, or how much of a factor it was vs genetics. Which one was more of a factor, genes or environment? Nobody really knows. I realize what I said, and maybe I should have prefaced it with "for the majority of people"....but oh well. How much do we really know?? Not much.

Anton, "Not all women who inherit a harmful BRCA1 or BRCA2 mutation will develop breast or ovarian cancer. " And, "According to estimates of lifetime risk, about 12.0 percent of women (120 out of 1,000) in the general population will develop breast cancer sometime during their lives compared with about 60 percent of women (600 out of 1,000) who have inherited a harmful mutation in BRCA1 or BRCA2 (4, 5). " These come straight from http://www.cancer.gov/can...ics/factsheet/Risk/BRCA.

So if 60% of people with the mutation(s) get breast cancer, there is 40% who don't. What would explain this? Environment could. What happened to the 12% of women who got breast cancer without inheriting the mutation(s)? The question is, could environment affect gene expression to help cause the mutations that you posted about? I think so.

And straight from the ACS: "But most breast cancer DNA changes happen in single breast cells during a woman's life rather than having been inherited. " http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_2_2X_What_causes_breast_cancer_5.asp.

To me, genes = cause of all problems is just dogma. Sure, there is a genetic component, but people don't acknowledge how much of a role environment plays. Hence, my "It is not genetics, it is lifestyle" reply. So IMO, yes BOTH genes and environment play a role, but for most people: healthy environment ----> healthy gene expression.

So despite the fact that if you carry the BRCA mutation you have a 60% chance of getting cancer, compared to 
a 12% chance if you don't, you're still going to say that it's primarily your environment that determines it?  

Back
Top Bottom