How do you guys feel about prosecutors using rap lyrics in indictments?

I haven't seen a thread specifically talking about this topic. This is a particularly big topic in Atlanta where I currently live. The Atlanta DA used rap lyrics in their indictment of Young Thug, Gunna and the YSL crime syndicate

and now they are using rap lyrics in an indictment they handed out earlier this week.

What are your opinions on this tactic? Should prosecutors be able to use lyrics against artists? Does this infringe upon the free speech of these individuals?

Personally, I'm torn on the issue: on one hand, these individuals have the right to express themselves through music but on the other hand, if you are foolish enough to commit crimes and then rap about it afterwards I have very little sympathy for you. It's not as though rap lyrics are the only pieces of evidence prosecutors have.

We are also at the stage where prosecutors have been using lyrics to indict artists for many years so if you are continuing to fall right into their trap, at some point it's on you.

Last edited:
If she applied the same legal tactics to the white community, they will have her unseated the next day.
but since she isn't, she gets a green light from the white community. Whatever her personal agenda is I hope it backfires on her in the future.

Last edited:
I think it is a bit out of touch. Especially since hip-hop/rap is mostly a satirical, ironic, social commentary based form of music.

Basically, some sort of copping mechanism rappers use to deal with, or make light of their reality.

It would be strange to use it against someone in the court of law in my opinion. Or in any situation for that matter.

I am sure there are rare times where it is spot on though. And to your point, that is on them.

One part of my thinks it funny because dudes be gangster af on the track but as soon as they in the court, “Oh its all entertainment!”. Another part of me understands thats the beginning of a slippery slope. You know, something actually said metaphorically can suddenly be taken literally and cause all kinds of problems. Also, if they can use 15 year old rap lyrics, whats stopping courts from using 15 year old social media posts to prosecute innocent people. Because it feels like its more about closing the case than actual solving the crime.

EDIT: On a positive note, maybe this will curve folks away from spewing community damaging ignorance. Especially, the ones faking it.

Some of the those lyrics aren’t satire though… some of this lyrics are TRUE. So it’s either get you on evidence or the lyrics. Either way.

The problem is these dudes AIN’T creative lyrically. These guys be telling of themselves.

This is what happens when dudes really can’t rap or don’t have diverse subject matters.

These dudes post everything on social media, literally commit crimes and rap about it without being discreet or creative, they bring it on themselves

Young Thug literally rented a car that was used to commit a murder AND tried to put a hit on dude over a jail phone call. It gets no dumber than that.

Every precinct these days has a social media department, police departments have fake pages, gunshot towers, the ability to ping phones, modern criminals are just dumb as hell. THEN to literally dry snitch on themselves on wax, it’s laughable

Last edited:
No matter if some of it is true, creating a song is no different than writing a script for a movie.... how can you use that as evidence?

I remember about 10yrs ago up here they used this rappers music/videos as part of evidence in a murder trial. They said it proved the murder was committed to the benefit of a criminal organization.

No matter if some of it is true, creating a song is no different than writing a script for a movie.... how can you use that as evidence?

Bro, if the evidence is TRUE, what difference does it make? With or without the lyrics they’re still guilty :lol: :lol:.

Do you know how many movies are based on true stories? Look up the Son of Sam Law. A lot of protagonists in movies have already been convicted of crimes.

Look how many dudes in the mafia have been convicted of crimes.

“No matter If some is true” do you realize how silly that sounds? Even if SOME is true. “Some” can be substantial enough to get you convicted of a crime.

Like I said, young thug rented a car that was commissioned in a crime so, being that he’s a “street dude” he can’t lie and say that wasn’t the intent or he’d be labeled a snitch. AND, there’s jail recordings of him calling for a hit on YFN Lucci. If that ain’t as damning as it gets, IDK what to say

If she applied the same legal tactics to the white community, they will have her unseated the next day.
but since she isn't, she gets a green light from the white community. Whatever her personal agenda is I hope it backfires on her in the future.

What's the correlation here? :lol:

YSL and YFN aren't the "black community". If the feds took down a Mafia family you think the Italians collectively would be *****ing about the "italian community" being under attack? Why do we accept any and all **** **** as being apart of "our community"?

****** kill me with all this free speech ****...and if you don't think these cases where lyrics are being examined is an attack on "art"...that shows that you REALLY aren't plugged in to what's happening out here. ****** are literally giving PLAY BY PLAYs of what they're actually doing. If they are STUPID enough to 1) commit crimes and 2) make art about those crimes in extreme detail why on EARTH should that be "protected"?

This is a local rapper who got his car flushed w/ 70+ rounds a couple months ago literally 60 yards across from me. Saw the entire aftermath. Just listen to 40 seconds of this song and tell me what YOU WOULD DO if you were law enforcement :lol: This ***** is literally giving a full rundown of real **** that is happening. These aren't fantasy "entertainment" raps.

What is art tho? If i kill you and go on Twitter and recite a poem called “I just murdered @jpzx” how is that not evidence. We gonna throw it out because I said it was a poem?

Dude doesn’t understand bro. I’m trying to explain it to him as best as I can but yeah… he’s oblivious:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I literally just told him that young thug ordered not one but TWO hits on his rivals and he talking about lyrics :lol:

finessence finessence talks about people like they're not in the thread... someone brought it up why can't we talk about it without you breaking fourth walls on some weird ****.

If you did it, I hope you get caught :lol: the song should ignite the investigation. I get what you guys are saying, if they did it and are dumb enough to talk about it, they deserve what's coming.

The “song” didn’t ignite the investigation…… the BODY did. There have been legitimate murders, people’s deaths…..

The song didn’t ignite it. The “songs” just made them boys look even sillier

Okay the body did, I'm saying who did it is strengthened by the song, and you need evidence. I get it, they did it, but if you released a song tomorrow that said you did something, and you didn't, they could prosecute you even if you didn't. Would that be the stupidest move in the world by you if you did or didn't? Yeah.

Okay the body did, I'm saying who did it is strengthened by the song, and you need evidence. I get it, they did it, but if you released a song tomorrow that said you did something, and you didn't, they could prosecute you even if you didn't. Would that be the stupidest move in the world by you if you did or didn't? Yeah.

If you didn’t do it, and they don’t have evidence, you just take it to trial and beat the case. Simple.

If you did commit the crime, you better take a plea or just face the music, or lose trial.

Alright, just trying to point out why it could be controversial and you just laid it out.

What's the correlation here? :lol:

YSL and YFN aren't the "black community". If the feds took down a Mafia family you think the Italians collectively would be *****ing about the "italian community" being under attack? Why do we accept any and all **** **** as being apart of "our community"?

****** kill me with all this free speech ****...and if you don't think these cases where lyrics are being examined is an attack on "art"...that shows that you REALLY aren't plugged in to what's happening out here. ****** are literally giving PLAY BY PLAYs of what they're actually doing. If they are STUPID enough to 1) commit crimes and 2) make art about those crimes in extreme detail why on EARTH should that be "protected"?

This is a local rapper who got his car flushed w/ 70+ rounds a couple months ago literally 60 yards across from me. Saw the entire aftermath. Just listen to 40 seconds of this song and tell me what YOU WOULD DO if you were law enforcement :lol: This ***** is literally giving a full rundown of real **** that is happening. These aren't fantasy "entertainment" raps.

True. This is very specific. But on the other end, they been using really generic rap bars in the indictments :lol:

“Me and my *****s hit licks” = 1 count indictment.

I think that is crazy. I could’ve sworn this topic got settled like a decade ago. Or maybe it was state by state?

I remember they tried to use Boosie lyrics in his case, and they threw it out.

But the ***** really said…”Marlo Mike up in the back seat, begging for a body”

And they threw that out surprisingly lol.

Edit****

They did use some of the lyrics in court. But he beat the case.

Last edited:
What is art tho? If i kill you and go on Twitter and recite a poem called “I just murdered @jpzx” how is that not evidence. We gonna throw it out because I said it was a poem?

243B5344-6A3D-4E97-A17B-E525CEE0985D.jpeg

I’m curious how things would’ve turned out for the Tupac killing had it happened during this decade. “Long kiss goodnight” by Biggie Smalls is filled with subliminals alluding to Pac after he was killed.

I’m curious how things would’ve turned out for the Tupac killing had it happened during this decade. “Long kiss goodnight” by Biggie Smalls is filled with subliminals alluding to Pac after he was killed.

If Biggie Smalls would have said "we paid for that contract killer who smoked Pac" in that song then that would be akin to what we're seeing today.

Back
Top Bottom