how do you store your sneakers (detailed discussion for very large collections) ...

I know this topic has probably been discussed many times but I wanted to start a fresh discussion on thisthat touched on the more detailed aspects of shoe storage, especially for very large sneaker collections.

For those of you who know me, I have been collecting many years, and my collection is now reaching about 750pairs. I live in an area where the weather is hot and humid, and for the past 2 years I have been storing my shoes in 2 units of air-conditioned (24/7)storage. Well that 2 units is also nearing its limit, as I am about 80% full ...

Well, back to the topic at hand. Despite storing in an 24/7 air-conditioned environment for the past 2years, I noticed that some of the shoes I had bought fresh in the past 2 years STILL YELLOWED. Frustrated, I bought a humidity meter and noticed that humiditystill ranged from 70% to about peak of 95% ...

And so, I'm looking for an alternative way to do this now.
  • For those of you with very large collections like mine, how do you store your shoes ?
  • Do you also have dedicated storage ? What do you do to maintain the temperature and humidity ?
  • I read somewhere that in general for collectibles, humidity should be between 35%-65%, and temperature at around 64 degrees ... is this true also for sneakers ? what optimum humidity and temperature should I be looking at ?
Please share! thanks!

eek.gif
what do you do for a living

You must really love your kicks. 750 is quite a bit. I keep my stacked on the side of my room. I'm hoping to get a showcase cabinet from Ikea next year.

Originally Posted by rillo561

JC! 750 pairs?!

well, this is a collection amassed since 1998. say, 750 pairs in 11 years, which is about 70 pairs per year, which is nothing compared to the number of pairsmost of you buy in a year ...

Originally Posted by scones

Originally Posted by rillo561

JC! 750 pairs?!

well, this is a collection amassed since 1998. say, 750 pairs in 11 years, which is about 70 pairs per year, which is nothing compared to the number of pairs most of you buy in a year ...
laugh.gif
i highly doubt most of us buy anywhere close to 70 pairsin a year, let alone more than 70

unlike everyone else on this board, i wear them. No point in buyin kicks if you never use em.

1znopab.jpg

why dont you donate the ones you dont wear? I highly doubt you need all those shoes.

Think of all the places you could travel to, all the things you could do with that money spent on sneakers that you don't even wear.
smh.gif

laugh.gif
here I'm thinkin he gon say somethin around the number of 100 or so, 750
eek.gif
, I tip my hat to u sir

I'm getting to that tipping point also. Granted, I'm only at a little over half of where your collection is, but I've found no better method thanto just make room in your house. I'm currently in the process of moving my shoes from walk-in closets to a spare bedroom. I've done the outdoor storagething temporarily, and it was no good.

Another 'known' NTer who used to have a collection closer to the size of yours also used your method, and had two storage units. I also have aco-worker who uses storage units. I haven't heard complaints from either, but like you, I didn't have the greatest experience. Had a couple pairsyellow that were not THAT old.

I would say to do what you can to make room INDOORS somewhere at your house. Your house will stay at a moderate temperature and won't ever get too humid.Assuming you don't live in like Hawaii or somewhere with a super humid climate.

It is, in fact, the humidity that kills them. Anyone remember the post of someone's '02 Blk/Red VII's that grew mildew/mold???
sick.gif

Originally Posted by NikeHolic23

I'm getting to that tipping point also. Granted, I'm only at a little over half of where your collection is, but I've found no better method than to just make room in your house. I'm currently in the process of moving my shoes from walk-in closets to a spare bedroom. I've done the outdoor storage thing temporarily, and it was no good.

Another 'known' NTer who used to have a collection closer to the size of yours also used your method, and had two storage units. I also have a co-worker who uses storage units. I haven't heard complaints from either, but like you, I didn't have the greatest experience. Had a couple pairs yellow that were not THAT old.

I would say to do what you can to make room INDOORS somewhere at your house. Your house will stay at a moderate temperature and won't ever get too humid. Assuming you don't live in like Hawaii or somewhere with a super humid climate.

It is, in fact, the humidity that kills them. Anyone remember the post of someone's '02 Blk/Red VII's that grew mildew/mold???
sick.gif

I thought those were Citrus VII's?

Originally Posted by Calypso Chanta

unlike everyone else on this board, i wear them. No point in buyin kicks if you never use em.

1znopab.jpg

why dont you donate the ones you dont wear? I highly doubt you need all those shoes.

Yup, I wear all my shoes too....I mean sure I wear some a lot more than others due to colors, but I wear my shoes. I'm down to about 40 pairs.

But scones, I don't know what to tell you, fam. I have a "shoe closet" and I just keep them all in the boxes. I don't put them inplastic/ziplocs or silica gel or nothin', just in the closet in the boxes. I live in Pittsburgh, so it gets hot and cold, so I don't know what type ofeffect that has on them....they don't fall apart tho, and they stay in good shape.

scones wrote:
my collection is now reaching about 750 pairs. I live in an area where the weather is hot and humid, and for the past 2 years I have been storing my shoes in 2 units of air-conditioned (24/7) storage.

for some reason Im slightly disturbed by this

Back
Top Bottom