How far back in history do you go when arguing about sports?

This topic comes up all the time at work, and I want S&T's input:

Why do people bring titles/championships/etc. up from 10+ years ago when arguing about current teams?
There is no bonus given out before games if your team won a championship in the 90s. You don't get to start the game with 3 points for every chip you've won - so what's the point in bringing them up?

It's one thing if you argue something recent - but to say (as an example) "even though the Cowboys lost, they still have 5 rings!" makes you sound like an idiot.

YES, as a franchise, your team may have more championships than mine. HOWEVER, what does that have to do with the current product on the field? Just because your team WAS amazing doesn't mean that they'll all of a sudden get back to dominance. Times change, so why do people continue to hold onto stuff for so long?

laugh.gif
Damn, man. I was just messing.

I hate that too though.

I go back as far as the last game.

Never bring up championships in arguments, maybe if I'm trying to prove a point about history.

Never use the "Rings" argument. Most obnoxious, overrated element to sports. Hate it. has become so corny. For example, in the NFL Season thread, they were discussing if Reggie Bush is a bust & someone mentioned how he has a ring.
laugh.gif
indifferent.gif

State facts, current facts, & That's it.

Exactly, MBen. It's like the Chris Johnson argument I got into when I said he CURRENTLY wasn't a top 3 back, and people went crazy. It happens - dudes have down years. Does it mean that next year he'll bounce back? Of course it could happen, and he could rush for another 2k.

But right now, Chris Johnson is playing terrible and shouldn't be brought up with AP, Rice, Foster, and McCoy. *shrugs*

Unless the conversation is about franchises past/present or the team's legacy will I mention past championships. Even as a Yankees fan, the team's success in the past doesn't contribute to how the team is playing this season.

It's an easy reply if a fan can't admit "the team sucks right now", to refer back to the past makes people feel better about a team's current failures.

I go back as far as the majority of the team was together.. or at least the major figures.

I only go as far back as what I have witnessed with my own eyes and was able to coherently process. The whole "rings" argument is mute with me. What kills me is when some dumb $*@$ will claim a great player/team from the past isn't better than a great player/ team in the present. First of all there is absolutely no way to argue that. Era's are defined by the rules & talent that exsisted in them. There is nothing worse than the ******ed prisoner of the moment sports fan who continuously talks out of their %#+.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

There is nothing worse than the ******ed prisoner of the moment sports fan who continuously talks out of their %#+.

I don't know - the "clinging onto the past like a child with his blankie" sports fan is pretty terrible, too.

Prior to this year, the 49ers were abysmal for a looooong time. Crappy coaching, crappy play, etc., but you NEVER saw me running into threads, posting pictures of Joe Montana and claiming "LOL AT LEAST WE HAVE FIVE RINGS!" Unfortunately, there are people who do this, and they look like absolute idiots.

On the flip-side, the people who have already anointed LeBron as the GOAT and Aaron Rodgers as the best QB in history don't help matters.

I think that there's a happy medium, but it's hard to find these days. You have to learn to take lumps as a sports fan... there is no team that is on the top every single year.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

*cough cough* yankee fans *cough cough*

Yup.  You ever talk about hockey with a Red Wings fan that's not from Detroit/under 25?  Unbearable sometimes.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

*cough cough* yankee fans *cough cough*

Yup.  You ever talk about hockey with a Red Wings fan that's not from Detroit/under 25?  Unbearable sometimes.
How about hockey with Canadiens fans who have only lived during one of the 24 Stanley Cup wins and were infants when Montreal won that ONE Stanley Cup? Pathetic.
laugh.gif

i remember back around 07 or so i was going at it with phoenix suns fans when they had their little run as an elite team while the lakers were an average team.

after running their mouths about how the current suns were so great and the current lakers sucked (which they did at the time) feelings got hurt when i told them that they could have all the 62 win seasons and high seeds in the western conference that they want but if they don't win a title during that window that it means nothing.

the suns fans quickly got defensive talking about "you laker fans always live in the past and want to bring up titles"

not once in my argument did i mention laker titles or anything laker related at all, i just stated the fact that unless those suns teams won a title, they would be looked at as another good team that couldn't get over the hump and nothing more then that.

both extremes are bad to me.

the living in the past fans are annoying and the fans who disregard the past are just as bad. i've noticed fans of teams who've had a crappy past are the ones that tend to minimize the importance of titles and past success.

if were arguing stuff that's going on right now though, i'd say it's about a 1 year window at most to use in an argument for either side.

You didn't know? Sports has a fan problem. There is no other subject more accessible to an idiot than sports.

I only go as far back as what I have witnessed with my own eyes and was able to coherently process. 

This.
Dudes bringing up Championships that their teams won when they were 3 years old <*

Originally Posted by HankMoody

You didn't know? Sports has a fan problem. There is no other subject more accessible to an idiot than sports.

roll.gif
Absolutely love this. Will be using.

I think to forget and ignore history is foolish. That said, if you are going to two about it you should actually know it (e.g. I watch and read as much as I can about the Steelers of the 70s even though I want alive). Also a franchises history has nothing to do with the future out one if a game. Do people think it does?

I go as far back as I need to in order to make my point or make my case look better.

Originally Posted by University of Nike

There is nothing worse than the ******ed prisoner of the moment sports fan who continuously talks out of their %#+.

I don't know - the "clinging onto the past like a child with his blankie" sports fan is pretty terrible, too.
They both can go get #!*!%* imo.

I like that
laugh.gif

Tmay that's hilarious and a least honest. Seriously though rational discussions with sports are so hard to come by, makes me like sports less. I hate how fans are so biased and subjective in arguments and in their actions

Back
Top Bottom