How hard is it to get into Grad School?

depends on the program, and depends on your relationship with the professors/admissions in your major if you're trying to get into the same institution as your undergraduate

depends where you want to go to school and for what program
medical, law, and mba programs are the toughest go get into in that order.
and obviously harvard, columbia, nyu, etc would be tougher to get into than other schools.

nerd.gif

all the ones ive looked at require a gpa of 3.0 and above but prefferably a 3.5 and up for the best chances. Some I have seen like University of Maryland College Park Grad School require 3 letters of recomendation.

I know if you go to a CSU you dont need to take the GRE to go to a CSU for grad school

Also, the last 60 units are the most important

same thing as undergrad, Good GPA, Admission test (Lsats, Mcat, ETC), and other extracurricular activities.

the only thing out of the ordinary would be business schools, the better school the more they look for work experience in the related field.

I was talking to my professor about this today. She is really helpful.

You MUST have above a 3.0 GPA, good GRE/GMAT/standardized test of your degree scores. Experience and letters of recommendations are a huge help too. Not only that, they look for people who they know will get the work done and come out on top. My professor told me that they've had an influx of overseas students applying with higher scores and has to chose them over people she recognizes. Just because they start liking someone isn't enough anymore. Schools want people who can pull in higher scores and more grant money and make the school more appealing. You have to be at your best. Sometimes you have to make sacrifices about where you want to attend.

That said, you should also look at what each school has to offer and what the professors have to offer. Do your research about what they look for and what they want out of the students.

Originally Posted by Scarface2k1

depends where you want to go to school and for what program
medical, law, and mba programs are the toughest go get into in that order.
and obviously harvard, columbia, nyu, etc would be tougher to get into than other schools.
Pretty much sums it up. Some grad programs are very easy to get into.

so what happens if you want to get a master but you barely got by to get your bachelors. will you be denied higher education?

You are scrutinized with a fine tooth comb. They look at your academics, letters, and scores to get a good feel for you.

Then they call you in to interview to confirm or deny their assumptions about you.

It's nothing like undergrad (if you didn't go to a top 10 school). You can't just get by.

I'm going to interview for my program in a few weeks and it is very crucial to me to get in, so I'm going to research day and night about my program. I don't want anything to hurt my chances.

Thanks for the responses NT fam, I know it was a pretty vague question. Just wondering because I may entertain the idea of it, but my GPA doesn't look so hot.

as far as getting an MBA, seems to me that if you don't have the greatest GPA, you can make it up with some solid work experience and a good GMAT score (more so the latter)...especially if you're trying to get into a top school...still going to be really tough to get into top schools because of the intense competition.

Back
Top Bottom