How hard should PRO athletes take losses?

Discussion in 'Sports & Training' started by doublejs07, Mar 15, 2009.

1. doublejs07

doublejs07

Just curious....

I came across this quote from Wale (rapper) after he went to his first hockey game last night at the Verizon Center...

2. airjordan jb23

airjordan jb23

They should be affected by them, but not get to caught up in it. I say not get to caught up in it because they have to move on to the next game. If you look atthe NBA, you have multiple games a week, you have to learn to learn from losses & move on to the next game. Take the pros & cons from the loss, thenlook to fix it for the next one, but as a player I don't think they should take it to hard. Be affected by it, yes, but not to the extreme because theregames in the near future that you have to prepare for.

With going out after games, I don't see a problem with it. You have to understand that they have to live their lives. & during the long 82 game seasonfilled with practices, traveling, & games, you don't have all the time in the world to hang out. But at the same time, you have to be prepared &focused on the more important thing first, which is the games, & not what goes on after the games. If thats handled well & what you do doesn'taffect your play or the upcoming game, then that's fine I think.

3. daprescription

daprescription

I think the majority of the league doesn't really care. There's only that selected few that has their entire heart set on winning.

4. lifelessons

lifelessons

Josh Howard

dont compare him to those young bums

5. dajoka004

dajoka004

I've always been torn by this, in college sports too. I mean, if you lose, why are you at the bar just hours later, even after a road game? But I supposeeveryone needs those times to let lose. You just can't let it affect your play. There shouldn't be any partying the day before a game. And during theseason, there's no excuse to get hammered. You have the entire offseason to do that.

6. downtown43

downtown43

[​IMG]

= one of the bigger drunks on Maryland's campus, but he still comes to play on gameday so who knows... [​IMG]

7. trasoul82

trasoul82

I agree. I can't really say I blame them, as most people don't really take their work performance personally. There are the select few who will showpassion, but everyone is not there because of love. I'll use Wayman Tisdale as an example. Granted, he did play 12 seasons, but he could have played more.So why did he leave? So he could settle down in Oklahoma and work on his jazz music. He basically set himself up for the rest of his life and then turned tofocus on his passion.

Or take someone like Yao. An absolute freak of nature. Whether or not he is competitive or not, he'd be a fool to be chillin over in China overseeing thedaily operations of an internet cafe. I think at the end of the day the Job of NBA players is to justify ticket prices. If monetory goals are met, theneveryone is happy, including the fans (Otherwise, why would they keep paying?). You got groupies and you got millions. Party it up, I guess.

8. frankie valentino

frankie valentino

I think the ones that are truly affected by it are the ones who always magically seem to end up in the finals.

9. jakecuevas

jakecuevas

its there job.

they need to take it tough but not let them affect them for the next game.

10. vctry20

vctry20

I mean I don't know how hard they SHOULD take them. I don't think anybody should carry a loss over into another game on any level of sports.

IMO a lot athletes probably care about individual performances over Ws and Ls. Unless they're in the playoffs or finals.

In sports like basketball, I'll be a lot of the marquee players take losses hard because dudes like Kobe and Lebron can drop 30 every night, the money willalways be there, they will never be jobless as long as they can still hoop. So they want something bigger, they strive for more.

11. curious24

curious24

at that speed you have to care or you can easily be out....i mean i saw joe johnson play and dude is def trying 100% even though he has that contract.

12. jville819

jville819

13. prettyplaya

prettyplaya

whats up with this dude and his serious questions on nt all the time lol

14. doublejs07

doublejs07

I hear you....

in the case of the Wizards, what pisses me off the most is that these dudes 1/2 !$$ it on the court the majority of the time, but party without a care in theworld 30 minutes after the final whistle blows. Like I said before...I have no issue w. these guys going out and enjoying themselves....but @+@$, at least putsome effort in when actually doing your job

15. mister friendly

mister friendly

16. executive76

executive76

I would assume after a certain amount of losing you would get used to it...it really depends onhow you lose blowout vs last second heroics etc.

and reg. season vs playoffs/championships

17. stringer bell 32

stringer bell 32

I believe they should atleast seem upset over a loss but it irks me when fans expect all athletes to take every loss like its life and death.

There should be a good balance between caring and realizing you can't win them all

18. rpappy6

rpappy6

They should take the loss seriously, but not like it's the end of the world. It is only a game.

19. jville819

jville819

I think the fans care more about losing than the athletes. In no way am I saying that the players like to lose but I think fans expect players to act the sameway that they feel.

When you watch a rivalry game or something and your team loses it pisses fans off to see your team congratulating the opposing players or smiling as they walkoff the court/field. We want the players to be mad and cursing and not even going up to the other players.

20. johnnyredstorm

johnnyredstorm

Everybody handles losing differently.

21. dland24

dland24

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. blaxoid

blaxoid

I get furious when ever I lose, any game. I think only some players in the L feel like that, and the ones that do are the ones that improve the most from theexperiences they learn in losses etc.

Conditioning is definitely a part of it though.. them Wiz cats have lost so much they hardly care at all

23. shatterkneesinc

shatterkneesinc Banned

depends on the coaches reaction

if coach doesnt care, player wont care as well

24. de phx jose

de phx jose Banned

They should take it real serious, it's their damn job. I get mad when i lose a game of one-on-one or even just a game of Madden haha

25. tmukg21

tmukg21 Banned

theres 82 games ,160 i think in baseball

cry about every game? no. Your training level in the offseason determines how serious you will take it in the regular season

Kobe studies game film intensely but even he finds a way to pop bottles [​IMG]