How is Cam'ron not considered a Hip Hop Legend?

He has basically every credential that a Hip hop legend should have. Discography, Features, Group work, Longevity, Charisma, Ability to switch with the times.Cam'ron has it all. I here dudes mentioned as hip hop legends who i feel definitely haven't done as much work as Cam. Guys Like AZ, Raekwon &Ghost(not Wu Tang as a whole) Jadakiss, Bun. B, Mobb Deep, If these guys are considered "legends" how is cam not a "legend".

-Dude started Rapping in 1994 with children of the corn. With Notably Big L, and MurdaMase(who was spittin crazy back then) and held his own lyrically with any new rappers in NYC at the time. COTC was completely lyrically based and raw
sick.gif

- With the death of Big L and bloodshed COTC breaks up Cam & Ma$e go they seperate ways and gets solo contracts. Cam releases his first album Confessionsof Fire and goes gold without any real backing from a major label or artis. And completely creates Another Flow that is way different from his COTC Flow. HeDrops S.D.E in 2000 and once again goes gold while being on a bad label. Both albums were great albums, not classics, but i would say 3.5 & 4.0/5.0respectively.

- He becomes a Free Agent Starts up the diplomats Movement, Creates Yet Another Flow and tweeks his Image even more, and Creates one of the Biggest Buzz theindustry has saw. He signs to an already poppin Roca-Fella and Pretty much Goes Head To Head With Jay for dat "King Of NY" title.

- Parlays his individual Success into the Diplomats, which leads to a CLASSIC group album in Diplomatic Immunity. Not only that but DipSet controlled how much of hip hop dressed, Spoke, and theycreated an individual sound that nobody else has been able to duplicate. Dipset in all honesty is my Generations Wu Tang as Far as the impact they had on theHip Hop community.

- He has Worked With Every Great Hip Hop Artist of this Era Jay, Pun, jada, Mobb Deep, fabolous,etc and IMO has neva been outshined on any of these tracks. Hehas Went at Jay, Nas, 50.

- Label politics again pushes his album back. coming off about a 2-3 year hiatus he comes back and drops Purple Haze which is about a 4.5/5 and still manages to sell about 800k with lil promotion.

- After Haze he continues to push dipset and Helps Juelz & Jim Jones Have commercial success and continuing to destroy the Mixtape Scene. Once again takesabout 2 years off and comes back With yet another sound and drops his least impressive album killa season which i give a 3.0/5.0.

Now He takes a complete 2 year Hiatus... Noo Music, no videos, Actual Big foot like spottings and yet he comes back and haz a bigger buzz then most rappers whodrop music everyweek. The dude has literally Been in Rap 15 years, Has completely Switched his Flow and style 3 Seperate Times, and has managed to continuallydrop great music on both the mainstream and underground while remaining relevant in Today's Rap game.

The Only other Guys In NY who have managed to continue to drop Great material and actually be Relavent through a 10-15 year span has been Jay, Nas(Even he was headed to no mans land till ether),Jada, Busta, Ghostface, And Killa.

AZ, Mobb Deep, RAE, Meth, yes they may have had one or two albums that have been classics but they haven't been able to keep steady and drop consistentmaterial throughout the years

Originally Posted by youngjordan23

Guys Like AZ, Raekwon & Ghost(not Wu Tang as a whole) Jadakiss, Bun. B, Mobb Deep, If these guys are considered "legends" how is cam not a "legend".

Who the hell considers those guys legends? Ghost would be the only one up for consideration IMO.

Originally Posted by AKA Anthony

Guys Like AZ, Raekwon & Ghost(not Wu Tang as a whole) Jadakiss, Bun. B, Mobb Deep, If these guys are considered "legends" how is cam not a "legend".

Who the hell considers those guys legends? Ghost would be the only one up for consideration IMO.
indifferent.gif
log off

I agree with O.P. Most people can't get passed the way he dressed, his chosen rhyme scheme at certain times (all I hear is people refer to "GetEm' Girls when they want to hate), or the fact he always gets pushed back. You forgot to mention he's a beast when it comes to making diss tracks.

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

he is a legend... if jadakiss bum $@@ can b a legen cam is DEF a legend... dudes act like his first 2 albums dont exist... like he wasnt MURDERING clue tapes... like his fan base isnt one the most loyal... like he dont make good music...

from COC to his first 3 solo albums alone cam is a legend... %+$! you if u think otherwise...

IF Jada is a legend then yeh, Cam is a legend. But who the hell considers Jada a legend........? Been in the game 20 years and has 3 solo albums, I candivide...

^^

Fam u ask almost any rapper in the game and they will tell u that they believe Jada is a legend. Not the Fans, but his peers people that actually rap feel thatJada is a legend

Originally Posted by iHateTimeDotCom

he is a legend... if jadakiss bum $@@ can b a legen cam is DEF a legend... dudes act like his first 2 albums dont exist... like he wasnt MURDERING clue tapes... like his fan base isnt one the most loyal... like he dont make good music...

from COC to his first 3 solo albums alone cam is a legend... %+$! you if u think otherwise...

IF Jada is a legend then yeh, Cam is a legend. But who the hell considers Jada a legend........? Been in the game 20 years and has 3 solo albums, I can divide...
You just said Ghost would be a legend, over Bun B and Mobb Deep. I don't know about Jada but Cam will definitely go down in history.

With the exception of Jada, these guys are all legends. AZ and Raekwon are debatable but not by much.

OP, I actually think you constructed and argued your points pretty well. Is Cam a legend? No, but there's absolutely no denying his effect on hip hop andurban culture. However we can't start slapping every %%!#% who sticks out with the term legend, the word classic has already lost its value, lets notbastardize the meaning of being named a legend too.

When I think of LEGENDS, certain names stand out in my head. NaS, Jay, OutKast, Rakim, Premier, Pac, BIG, Em, etc... You telling me AZ, Rae, Jada, Bun and MobbDeep belong with those list of names? IDK, maybe I'm buggin...

Jada absolutely not. Bun, Mobb Deep, and Ghost absolutely. As I said Rae and AZ are debatable.

Also, if you're not fromt the south it can be real easy to front on Bun/UGK

Originally Posted by Mamaco

Jada absolutely not. Bun, Mobb Deep, and Ghost absolutely. As I said Rae and AZ are debatable.

Also, if you're not fromt the south it can be real easy to front on Bun/UGK

How is he not a legend?
Good Albums
Has remained Relevant
Great mixtapes
Has taken his momentum and put out 2 rappers that have gone platinum on their solo projects
Unique Flow
Cultural Icon
Propelled a his groups album to platinum status
Has destroyed Jay-Z, Nas, and 50 IMO
Put Harlem on the map

Seriously do we need more?

Back
Top Bottom