How long is too long for your best friend to live with you?

best friend....lost their job, now they need a place to crash.......don't have no money to help out with rent or bills.....

how long is too long for them to stay there? how long would you give them to get back on their feet?

I say 3 to 4 months is reasonable in my case, best friend or not I need my space.......They should be grinding from the time they hit my home far as looking for work, and I'd even help them....no way I'm going to have them all up on my couch eating out of my frig when I come home from work and ask "so what's new today far as jobs?" and they hitting me with the
grin.gif
while eating a bag of my doritos.

anything past 3 months really and I'd get pretty tired and frustrated that they can't find ANYTHING!

what's your opinion?

I think there was a true life episode on this, it was the "i hate my roommate" one or something like that. The situation you just described happened exactly the same way on the episode.

I'd help them move in with family if they had anyone close in the area. Something like that could ruin a friendship.

Originally Posted by JayHood23

I'd help them move in with family if they had anyone close in the area. Something like that could ruin a friendship.
i'm sure if they had family that they messed with, they wouldn't be knocking on your door.

Originally Posted by Dmvbatman

What's your opinion?

3 months is reasonable, BUT atleast ask him to do some things around the house. 
Cleaning, cooking, taking out the trash, etc... 

Also, you should mention that if he doesn't get a job by the 6th week he needs to get out.

He needs to show some type of appreciation and some motivation to get a job.

Not just some bum on the couch, eating your Doritos or playing PS3 all day.

Dmvbatman wrote:
I say 3 to 4 months is reasonable in my case, best friend or not I need my space.......They should be grinding from the time they hit my home far as looking for work, and I'd even help them....no way I'm going to have them all up on my couch eating out of my frig when I come home from work and ask "so what's new today far as jobs?" and they hitting me with the
grin.gif

Blatant disrespect like that should not be tolerated. 

If he thinks it's a joke, start writing down the food, utilities and other expenses he is using, including his share of the rent.  Explicitly tell him that when he gets a job that is what he is going to owe you. 

Taking people in only causes probs imo.. unless theyll be homeless or something, id rather not, but having someone there especially not pulling their weight, gets old REAL fast...

Originally Posted by MrYoungMoney

What's your opinion?

3 months is reasonable, BUT atleast ask him to do some things around the house. 
Cleaning, cooking, taking out the trash, etc... 

Also, you should mention that if he doesn't get a job by the 6th week he needs to get out.

He needs to show some type of appreciation and some motivation to get a job.

Not just some bum on the couch, eating your Doritos or playing PS3 all day.
so true

Thats a bad situation to begin with. That could honestly end a great friendship IMO. I would say that if they are genuinely looking to better themselves, then you can give them as much time as they need. But in your case, that friend just sounds like a bum. I will say this though, if they are crashing at my place and they dont have a way contribute anything to bills, you better believe that they will be keeping my place spotless and doing other things to help out

3mos would be it. theyd have to apply to a certain number of places a week and do the chores of the house.
hell, id even drive them to the interviews and stuff.

i think 4 months may be pushing it. unless they found a job earlier and wanted to stack $ while also helping with expenses around your house
although, for my best homie, i dunno. i might not have the heart to tell him to get out. especially if he really has nowhere to go.
your compassion will come back around sometime, at least thats what i believe

until they get a job. folks cant help it if they can't get a job. some people apply to a couple hundred jobs and get no love. as long as my dude is trying he got a place.

Originally Posted by TraPpStar

until they get a job. folks cant help it if they can't get a job. some people apply to a couple hundred jobs and get no love. as long as my dude is trying he got a place.

that's why i threw that extra month in there....which equals up to 4, cus i know it's hard out there now.....

and i said i would be helping them also, so it's extra work.....somebody is going to find SOMETHING between the both of us...

that's why i threw that extra month in there....which equals up to 4, cus i know it's hard out there now.....

and i said i would be helping them also, so it's extra work.....somebody is going to find SOMETHING between the both of us...
What type of experience/skills does he have?

i'm sure if they had family that they messed with, they wouldn't be knocking on your door.
Some people are too proud to ask family for help because they don't want their fam to think they are failing

if he's cleaning, taking out the trash etc. then he can stay as long as he wants. i don't have the heart to kick my boy out if he doesn't have anywhere to go.

Spoiler [+]
Unless he's just being a bum sitting on the couch all day.

As long as he is truly looking for a job (getting interviews, filling out applications, etc.) and does his part to maintain the crib, he can stay as long as he needs to.

best friend....lost their job, now they need a place to crash.......don't have no money to help out with rent or bills.....

how long is too long for them to stay there? how long would you give them to get back on their feet?

grin.gif

anything past 3 months really and I'd get pretty tired and frustrated that they can't find ANYTHING!

what's your opinion?
I would do pretty much anything for my best friends and would let them live at my house for however long it took.  My best friends are pretty much family and they're honest and trustworthy so I could trust them to do the right thing no matter what.

Originally Posted by Winged Wheel

What type of experience/skills does he have?
that's a good question.........this also can play a key role in how quick they find a job..........

this is all hypothetical

Some people are too proud to ask family for help because they don't want their fam to think they are failing

yeah but when I made this question I didn't put the family into a"an option" it's just a "you're my friend, and you're the only one I have to go to" type of situation.

Originally Posted by TheRaygunZ

grin.gif

what's your opinion?
I would do pretty much anything for my best friends and would let them live at my house for however long it took.  My best friends are pretty much family and they're honest and trustworthy so I could trust them to do the right thing no matter what.
This, key word being BEST. If they're just a friend I can see 3-4 months being max.

Originally Posted by MastaMind033

As long as he is truly looking for a job (getting interviews, filling out applications, etc.) and does his part to maintain the crib, he can stay as long as he needs to.
but that's another thing though, you also could have that best friend that could be tanking on "interviews" on purpose, just turning down stuff......but he's also trying to throw you off like he's "trying" to land a job.

wouldn't it be odd to see your best friend keep going on interviews and coming up "short?" for some reason? mind you this person is a hell of a speaker.

The best way of kicking out a best friend, without looking like the bad guy/friend, is by making out with them.
They'll be so uncomfortable with it, they'll leave by themselves.
If not, then let them pay rent with their bodies.
Profit.

There's only two true friends i would let move in with me, they could stay as long as they like because I know for a fact they would allow me to do the same and they would actively search for jobs.

Back
Top Bottom