How many in here rock heavy w/ BOTH Jay & NaS?

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

Originally Posted by LuketheJediKnight

Originally Posted by CripwalkinK

Fair point but his beat selection was always good before legit mainstream success (see Reasonable Doubt and Hard Knock Life). You listen to Can't Knock The Hustle today, then listen to anything on the Blueprint 3 today and it's almost hard to believe Jay wrote like that lol. At the same time, I know he's only making music to sell records but it'd be nice to see a few dope verses (which I think we saw on WTT with 'New Day' and maybe another one-two songs).

Jay doesn't just make music for NT though. You know how many people who would rather listen to BP3 than RD? They are definitely out there.Gotta at least respect Jay's willingness to appeal to that sector of music listeners, while still incorporating lyricism into his tracks.
I'm not denying that there are listeners who would listen to more mainstream music. I'm not hating on him for it either, I'm just being real, he's not as good of a lyricist today as he was now. Not taking anything away from his career though.

I know what you mean. Still, the hyper-lyrical hip-hop tracks doesn't sell or get as many spins in today's music environment - you gotta compromise somewhere. The best artists (Jay, Em, Ye, Drake etc.) who target the mainstream population are good at balancing mainstream appeal while maintaining the lyrical artform.

281x211.jpg

I'm more critical of Nas
I feel like he's dropped the ball more times than not.

but they're both legends.

Nas is probably my all time fav rap artist, but Jay-Z is in my top 10. A liked young Jay-z more than Nas but since 2000 my interest in Jay-z has waned

I got a lot of Jay material, all of the good stuff so it's a good amount despite my views on him the past decade so when I'm in the mood I am playing the classics and my other fav songs.

So with him and Nas I do rock with both heavy when it comes to playing their music. Still think Nas is better though.

I love them both but I've listened to Illmatic the most out of all their albums they've put out. 

Nas is the better rapper to me, but I prefer Jay over him. Don't really know why, but both are faves. Now that I think about it, I do think I
listen to Nas more now, cause Jay's flow/delivery has declined a pretty good amount. Nas has either been consistent, or gotten better. It's just
that he didn't always get the best production for his stuff.

Back
Top Bottom