How many people here play an instrument?

Just out of curiosity, how many people here have played/still playing an instrument? I started out with the trumpet when I was smaller and played in the bandfrom elementary school until middle school. Stopped that to play football. Now I just have a mini trumpet that I play around with. Been playing guitar too forabout 2 years and some change. Rockin' with a Martin OMC-Aura that my uncle gave to me because his son decide to not go the music route and focused more onother things. Such a dope guitar. I'm learning piano right now been going at it for about 3 months now. I used my midi for a good month
laugh.gif
before I decided to pick up a keyboard (M-Audio Sono ProKeys, which acts as mynew Midi as well) and I'm really liking it. Sorry if this sounds like a list but I just wanted to see if anyone else here plays anything and if they haveany good stories to why they decided to start playing their instruments. Me, I just started playing because I love music so much and I wanted to learneverything possible about it. No history of family playing anything except my uncle and my dad can play the ukelele
laugh.gif

Also, anyone here have any recommendations to a good electric for jazz? I'm gonna go my spot and try out some but I wanna have other people's opinions.There's some things I won't be able to figure by jamming on it for a little while.

I played saxophone in elementary school. Moms basically forced me to, I was so happy when I stopped playing towards the begining of middle school. Funny thingis, I've spent the last five years of my life seriously regretting that decisison.
laugh.gif

I might try and pick up piano one of these days, or maybe drums.

I play Sax and Piano well enough to teach. Luckily its one of those recession proof jobs.

I played the trumpet for a while. Quit playing once I got to that weird teenager age. Now, I wish I still had that trumpet.

play the piano for about two years... and just started the guitar...

def. avg for piano...and waaayyyy below average at guitar

I played the drums for a while.......and I can use turntables like nobody's business....

played the piano from ages 5-18...stopped then. i got pretty good, i won some competitions and got some money/awards from it. i still play a little, buti'm trying to get into making beats now, and then maybe resuming my classical piano stuff again after i get out of college.

Also, anyone here have any recommendations to a good electric for jazz?
You cannot go wrong with a nice strat for jazz or blues. Actually, that guitar is just extremely versatile, it can do it all really. There'sa lot of different versions, i'm not sure if one is better suited for jazz than another, but hit up a music store and see what you think.

Or better yet - find out what some of your favorite jazz musicians setups are and try those out too.

I play guitar a little bit - been playing self-taught for maybe 5 years now, but nowhere near as good as I want to be - just don't have enough time toreally get better quickly right now.

I played the trumpet. I got put on it, I think(cant recall). I wanted to play the drums, but Ramel shut that down with his audition.

Acoustic Guitar(4years), Piano(10), Percussion(if you include band -
glasses.gif
, Alto Sax ( 2 1/2)

edit - working on playing the violin(4months)

I had wondered this recently too, glad somebody brought it up.

I play a bit of everything: guitar, mandolin, banjo, and a little drums.

Yeah, I'm white
grin.gif

OP, archtops and hollow bodies are the way to go for a serious jazz guitar. But if you want something to be a great all around guitar for lots of styles, youcan't go wrong with a Epiphone Sheraton or a Telecaster
pimp.gif

Used to play trumpet in middle school and guitar in high school. Stopped playing both a minute ago though.

You cannot go wrong with a nice strat for jazz or blues. Actually, that guitar is just extremely versatile, it can do it all really. There's a lot of different versions, i'm not sure if one is better suited for jazz than another, but hit up a music store and see what you think.
I was thinking about going that route. The first thing I thought of was a Strat, just gotta go try the many kinds.

OP, archtops and hollow bodies are the way to go for a serious jazz guitar. But if you want something to be a great all around guitar for lots of styles, you can't go wrong with a Epiphone Sheraton or a Telecaster
pimp.gif
I actually tried out a Gibson Custom ES-335 and I really liked it. I have a pretty good budget ($2000ish max, forgot the exact figure) so I'mpretty open to suggestions. I'm actually gonna go out and try some of the new Artist Sig. Strats. Gonna try out the Stevie and John Mayer one. Is there abig difference between a Telecaster and a Stratocaster? Never picked up a Tele before.

almost got the Holophonor on lock
grin.gif

but yea, guitar. i mess around with the bass guitar sometimes.
tryna learn the keys.

Bought a guitar about a month ago to teach myself, but that aint working out so probably gonna start going for lessons as soon as the semesters over.

Back
Top Bottom