How much debt are you in? What are you doing to get out of it?

almost 2k on the cc. and a couple of thousand for student loans. thank god for public universities. work a 2nd job this summer.

More than i'd like to admit.
smh.gif

To get out of it... i'm trollin' on NT instead of bein' outside living my life.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by nnarum

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

23 Grand from student loans. I'm tryin' to pay about $1,000/month so I can get that done in two years. It's crazy that I could do that, but I'll live tight for 2 years to get that crap paid off.

It sucks to think about it, but you'd think that once you get that paid off real quick like that wouldn't my credit rating or something be crazy good?
That's my plan too... I just hope I don't get burned out trying to do so much so quickly... But I just can't stand owing money... It's even worse when you think about how much work it is going to be to do that too... Yeesh.

I feel ya...The other thing too is that getting it paid off quickly you don't have to worry about years of interest accumulation.

i owed 6gs to Citicard. but since they were desperate they settled for 2gs. Now im debt free.

5k car 19k student loan

5k CC
smh.gif
.. thank goodness it will be gone soon ... but i should have never let it get that high ...

23 Grand from student loans. I'm tryin' to pay about $1,000/month so I can get that done in two years. It's crazy that I could do that, but I'll live tight for 2 years to get that crap paid off.

It sucks to think about it, but you'd think that once you get that paid off real quick like that wouldn't my credit rating or something be crazy good?
That's my plan too... I just hope I don't get burned out trying to do so much so quickly... But I just can't stand owing money... It's even worse when you think about how much work it is going to be to do that too... Yeesh.

I feel ya...The other thing too is that getting it paid off quickly you don't have to worry about years of interest accumulation.
don't just send in $1000 every month...make sure that you pay the minimum payment for each month...and then the extra that is left over isapplied ONLY towards the principle.

Student loans and cars have been paid off.

0.00 on all my CC's too!

Living 100% independent FTW! Hoooray!

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

don't just send in $1000 every month...make sure that you pay the minimum payment for each month...and then the extra that is left over is applied ONLY towards the principle.

What exactly you mean dirty? I don't just pay a lump sum of $1000 when I pay. I pay the minimum, then wait a few days for my balance to show that I'mpaid up to a certain month then I deposit the minimum again...So as it stands right now...I'm all paid up until August.

Kind of like that?

no...quite the opposite.
you don't want to do that...

lets take an example.

say you owe 40K...
your min payment for the month is say $200, but you can afford to pay $1,000 - an $800 difference
yearly... you're going to pay $12,000...no matter what.

I'm not sure how your particular %tages are calculated...but I'll use someone I know personally how they said their loans payments are factored: 5% ofevery payment is applied to the interest and 95% to the principle
so in essence.. you're paying $950 towards the principle every month.
that's $11,400 yearly

now.. do it the way I suggested.
make the min payment $200 per month
95% of that is $190...so that's $2,280 yearly
ADD to that $800 leftover that directly applied to the principle monthy ($800 x 12 = 9,600) and that's $11,880 yearly

compare the two...and you have a difference of $480... that's almost half a month's payment you saved just by maximizing your payment schedule.

..The math is probably slightly more complicated...as I didn't factor in daily interest rate...but the concept is sound. Pay down the principlefaster...which is what the interest rate is based on... and you'll end up paying less over the course of the loan.

Back
Top Bottom