How much do you pay for your haircut? (IG barbers going crazy)

719Qh-4XtfL._SL1000_.jpg

$29.95

71kqA7s6NzL._SL1500_.jpg

$110

71NlH1Yb8gL._SL1500_.jpg

$55

SCS_LightsMirrorDark_WebsiteIMGs_1600x.jpg

$79.95

= $275
Having the hand-eye-coordination to work in reverse when cutting the back of your head = priceless

I think also you have to take into account the type of haircut you get that might cost the prices to raise.

Back in the early 2000's I was paying $10 for a cut with $2-$3 tip.

Then I started getting a chin strap beard like Jon B and it was $12 and $15 with tip.

Overtime I was getting money now and my gear was better so I was still paying $12 a cut but gave $20 this is in Jamaica Queens.

This went on for years until probably the 2010's and I had to switch barbers because my hood barber wasn't nice with doing my beard like that. Plus he became comfortable and was getting sloppy but knew I was always good for the $20.

After that I started hitting up the Dominican barbers as in NYC they were said to be the best, it's true they are. I was still paying $20 for a full cut with beard and all but started giving $25.

Overtime from 2012-15 to present as I switched out of different Dominican barbers, some couldn't return on a work visa, some moved to Florida, I was up to paying $25-$30 and giving $40. Been on that since but I know it's only going to go up.

I used to get a cut almost every week when I got a good paying job back in the day now it's like every 3-4 weeks if that. My cut is simple and varies from low ceaser to #2-5 up top and taper or now been getting low skin fade. Never had dreads but did braids once in like 98 probably and wasn't for me. Always had that NaS, old Jay-Z cut.

Edit - also not broke and more than good.

I gave myself a mid fade last week and now my hair grew back. If I went to the barber and dropped $40+ I would be hella tight.

Wahl seniors are more forgiving than the andis masters IMO. Plus they are heavy af

You're right. I taught myself on the Master so got used to them (no other frame of reference).

Heavy but not too bad with the guides. Might need to try the Senior if my Master ever dies on me.

Master is built like a tank - been 5 years and no signs of going out yet.

I do notice my home cuts don't last as long as my shop cuts too so maybe I need a closer gap.

You're right. I taught myself on the Master so got used to them (no other frame of reference).

Heavy but not too bad with the guides. Might need to try the Senior if my Master ever dies on me.

Master is built like a tank - been 5 years and no signs of going out yet.

I do notice my home cuts don't last as long as my shop cuts too so maybe I need a closer gap.
If you're doing fades, zero gapping is a must

I been paying 50 for a haircut since when the Pandemic hit. I have been going to my barber for over 20 years. When 2020 shut down hit, I thought about how many people that was being hurt by it. In Minnesota , the shop was closed for 2 months. Now my barber is married with kids, so his wife stepped up. He wasn't doing cuts on the low like some of them were doing and getting sick in the process and passing away. I said to myself, always give more you will receive more in the process. The most I ever paid was 80$ and it was emergency. And my barber cut my hair on his day off. Plus they ain't just barbers, they are everything else. Especially when you black...

Damn I pay $25 -30 from both my Dominican barbers one in Flatbush other in the Stuy by LG projects. Give a $5-10$ tip.

Y’all wildin with $20 tips and the cut cost $50. Highway robbery.

$50 tip included. But these waves not included:lol:

But yea I know I’m getting taxed nowadays :smh:
My main issue is if you’re gonna charge these prices then the work needs to back it up literally every single cut. No room for too much error.
also the barber needs to be punctual with appointments if they charging that much

My barber charges $40 and give him $20 tip. He’s my girls cousin and does a decent job. My last barber was charging me $25 but he kept pushing my line back so I had to move on.

$20 tip is crazy regardless if you got it like that. I know yall be looking out and stuff but damn. Maybe for Christmas or something, bless em even more for sure but for a regular cut most ill give is $5 or just round up ($23 round up to $30 thats fine) and thats not me being “cheap”. It just feels appropriate? Tf I look like giving a $20 tip on a $25 haircut though. :lol:

Buy a fish

Catch a fish

I do both.
yeah they option of going either route is valuable. there have been a number of times where the shop is closed. barber out of town etc etc

hard enough to find a good barber hut having a solid backup barber is almost impossible

yeah they option of going either route is valuable. there have been a number of times where the shop is closed. barber out of town etc etc

hard enough to find a good barber hut having a solid backup barber is almost impossible

Especially in the same shop.

The guilt of checking out the other barbers while getting a cut and wondering :lol:

Guess the shop I go to don’t care too much, I go to whoever’s chair is open. Helps that there’s only 2 regular barbers in the shop anyway and both give good cuts. Been going to the same shop for about 24 years now.

Back
Top Bottom