How much do you spend a month?

House payment - 750
Phone bill - 100 (Canada has the highest cell phone bills in the world, terrible)
Car insurance - 114
Gas for car - 100
Gas/electricity - 100
Water - Don't know yet just filled up my pool and I'm scared to find out.
Gym - 40
Groceries - 250
Other (going out, social events, ect..) - 400ish

I make a little over 100K a year so trying to keep costs down. Looking to buy a new car too haven't figured out what yet. Don't really want a car payment but I'm afraid my 2001 Honda CR-V isn't going to last much longer haha.

Rent 805
Gym 35
Internet/Cable 150
Phone 90
Car 324
Util 50
Lights 90
Insurance 210
Food 200

30t6p3b.gif

I gotta re-evaluate what I'm doing here.

Been so much more conscious with my money since getting my own place.  Was always spending every dime I made on kicks or clothes, dont drink or smoke so it was always material stuff
30t6p3b.gif

550 rent + 30 extra for my dog

150 groceries/month

100 gas

150-200 restaurants, etc..

35 cable

40 heat/AC

car paid off
happy.gif

I was actually going to start a thread to ask a question about this topic. I just started a job 2 months ago making 43k/year, and after taxes, insurance, metro fare etc are deducted my net pay is $2550/ month. I've been living at home for a year (but was not employed until last December) and am looking to move out soon. By June 1, when I'd be moving out, I'll have $6500 in the bank. There are a couple places available right now only a short walk from where I work, both would cost me around $1250-$1300/month. Is that a feasible amount for me to pay given my salary? Here's my projected expenses:

+2675 -Salary ($125 extra for no longer having metrofare deducted since I can walk to work)
-1250 - Rent
-300 - Food (I think I could cut this down TREMENDOUSLY if I wanted. We have lunch and learns at work 2x a week, and I am technically allowed a free dinner if I work 12 hours in a day, which I've done every day for the past month or so).
-150 - Utilities
-450 - Loan payments
-40 - Phone
-30 - Prescription

That leaves me $455 left over to save with that projection. My parents think it should be a priority for me to get a car but I don't see the point in being saddled with a car payment since I currently metro to work and if I moved into this place would be able to walk to work, the grocery store, etc. With gas being as expensive as it is and having little need to drive most of the time I think it would be kind of a waste. I'd rather spend a little more on rent and have zero commute to work, be closer in to the city and within walking distance of entertainment etc than to spend that money on a car that I'll have to drive for 20+ mins to access all those things.

I live in a house owned by my parents, so I save a great deal on rent.
- 10 phone
- 100 utilities
- 150-200 food

These are my main expensesw besides artists supplies, I pretty much put the rest into my savings.

I am enjoying the living at home discount
laugh.gif

I work in a chemistry lab, so as you can imagine my expendable income is not very high

Phone: $40
Gas : $120
sick.gif
this may seem low to some of you, but I consider this very high.
Food: $200 this is on fast food and random late night gas station trips alone. I have made it a priority to cut this down to $100

sick.gif
 at yalls expenses
this just made me realize how its all the same, my base pay might be low compared to a civilian but all of it is expendable income so its the same @%$

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

you guys are paying WAYYYY TOO MUCH for a gym membership
not every gym is the same.  i dont belong to a fitness gym because i have a fitness center inside my community (that i guess i technically pay for through my HOA fees).  my gym membership is for martial arts.  $160/mo is on the high side but that seems to be the going rate in my part of town.  plus, the level of instruction is top notch considering most of our instructors are very high level practitioners and several of them are world champions (Fabricio Werdum for instance).

Rough breakdown, not including variables like eating/drinking out:
Rent: $650 

Gas: $200-250 (I'm getting a bike again if gas hits $5 a gallon)

Car Insurance: $150

Electricity: $40-50

Phone: $110

DirecTv: $25

Internet: $25

Groceries: $200-400 (Fluctuates depending on how much I eat out 
eyes.gif
)

Other bills: $250-300

Savings: $500-750

@$+# adds up quick,
30t6p3b.gif

I use Mint.com, might start Lemon since it captures receipts on the spot.  Prior to this year, I was saving $1k plus a month, but I've scaled it down a bit.  I have a roommate so it minimizes my expenses somewhat.

Originally Posted by 5am6oody72

I was actually going to start a thread to ask a question about this topic. I just started a job 2 months ago making 43k/year, and after taxes, insurance, metro fare etc are deducted my net pay is $2550/ month. I've been living at home for a year (but was not employed until last December) and am looking to move out soon. By June 1, when I'd be moving out, I'll have $6500 in the bank. There are a couple places available right now only a short walk from where I work, both would cost me around $1250-$1300/month. Is that a feasible amount for me to pay given my salary? Here's my projected expenses:

+2675 -Salary ($125 extra for no longer having metrofare deducted since I can walk to work)
-1250 - Rent
-300 - Food (I think I could cut this down TREMENDOUSLY if I wanted. We have lunch and learns at work 2x a week, and I am technically allowed a free dinner if I work 12 hours in a day, which I've done every day for the past month or so).
-150 - Utilities
-450 - Loan payments
-40 - Phone
-30 - Prescription

That leaves me $455 left over to save with that projection. My parents think it should be a priority for me to get a car but I don't see the point in being saddled with a car payment since I currently metro to work and if I moved into this place would be able to walk to work, the grocery store, etc. With gas being as expensive as it is and having little need to drive most of the time I think it would be kind of a waste. I'd rather spend a little more on rent and have zero commute to work, be closer in to the city and within walking distance of entertainment etc than to spend that money on a car that I'll have to drive for 20+ mins to access all those things.

First start with the money you have saved up...the landlord is going to want one month's rent up first + a security deposit which is either half of the month's rent or one full month's rent.
I always have at least 3-4 months salary before taxes saved up in a savings account for a rainy day. You should always have a little financial security. I also keep a little cash on me in case for some reason my ATM/CC cards are not working.

With almost 500$ left over each month, you should be good. I would def. pay off any loans before doing any crazy purchases, down the line you will want to buy a house, a car etc. and getting rid of any loans can only help rates. Besides the compounding interest on the loan is nuts.

Just stay concious on how you spend your money.

Not talking about anything but Nike shoes, I spent so far this month $1,700.00+ and that was just retail prices. No eBay no second hand sales.
YES I HAVE A PROBLEM! LOL(and that was a bummed laugh)

Including rent, cable, cell, mobile gas, gas, electricity, water and food. Probably around $1700

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom