How much do you spend a month?

Including rent (no mortgage for me) I spend about a little north of 5k a month in NYC. This includes rent - I live by myself, cable, cell phone, electric, health and dental insurance, commuting and some meds. The rest is grocery shopping or going out when I can.
Just curious as to see how other people are spending bc I feel like I spend a lot but, in the scheme of things, I know people spend on the same things I do.

I would like to hear how people save money on the "necessary things." All input is cool.

what's your rent and what boro?

i'm prob spending 3500-4000 a month and im trying to figure out on what exactly

will update with breakdown

My rent is provided through my work, so my breakdown is as follows (my goal is to spend under 600 a month, but fail usually)
-Groceries $200/month

-Utilities, including building maintenance fee's $200/month

-Cell phone, Wibro egg, internet, cable $100/month

-Social (eating restaurants, partying, amusements parks, etc) $150-500/month 

*The rest of my paycheck goes toward paying off student debt, credit card debt, and saving the rest.

Lemon is a good app to see what you are really spending your money on. Also good if you have to turn in an expense report.

Originally Posted by biff lawson

Manhattan-- Midtown East/Upper East Side (East 60s) my rent is around 2700.
I actually keep an excel spreadsheet to see what my costs are, if people are interested it is the following:

Rent: 2700

Phone:115

Subway:104 (used with pre-tax dollars)

Health Insurance: 200

Dental Insurance: 20

Prescriptions: 60 (used with pre-tax dollars)

Grocery: 150

Cleaning: 120

Laundry: 40

Electric: 60

Cable: 141

My building covers the cost of A/C, so my Con Edison bill is low. They also have a gym which in NYC is good for $50-100 depending on where you go. I'll eat out 2x a week with some friends, or go for drinks with some girls but, I really stopped drinking which has lowered a lot of my expenses.

Originally Posted by cap1229

Lemon is a good app to see what you are really spending your money on. Also good if you have to turn in an expense report.

I'm about to check this app out.. to see what's good..

Rent: $275
Healthcare: $80
Gas: $200
Food: $100
Useless crap: ~$100

TOTAL: ~$750/month

Chicago:

$1000 - rent/utilities
$55 - internet
$90 - phone
$220 - insurance
$47 - gym
$200 - groceries
$150-300 - misc stuff

Savings have gone way up since I cut down on drinking, and stopped buying so many shoes. Now I make myself sell off some if I want new ones.

815 rent
20 water
40 (on a high usage month) electric
30 internet
90 phone
100 credit cards
110 insurance (renters & car)
360 car
200 groceries

damnit. I make take home 5k monthly. I guess the rest is impulsive idiocy.

I need an accountant.

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

I actually keep an excel spreadsheet to see what my costs are, if people are interested it is the following:

My building covers the cost of A/C, so my Con Edison bill is low. They also have a gym which in NYC is good for $50-100 depending on where you go. I'll eat out 2x a week with some friends, or go for drinks with some girls but, I really stopped drinking which has lowered a lot of my expenses.
i goto NYSC they charge about $70 a month still working on my expenses...
damn at the rent i'm looking for a place in Harlem now dont wanna spend more than $1600 tho

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

Yikes. 
Move up to Da Heightz bro. 

how ya'll spend 200 a month on groceries? I spend like 150 every week on groceries and I eat out 5-10 times a week. I am failing at this food consuming game haha.

Maintenance: 800 (own the apt)
Health Insurance: 300
Socializing: around 600 (I'm an alcoholic. lol.)
Garage: 510
Car Insurance: 180
Amex: prob 1500
Gas: 500
Con Ed: 200

Total: 4590. Yeah that's about right.

No car payment though. Jeep is paid off.
smile.gif

Rent/Utilities/Cable - $1000
Gym- $50
Gas-$250
Groceries-$200 (much lower now that I don't buy a 24 pack of beer and bottle of henny every time
laugh.gif
)
Other expenses- $500ish (This is where I really need to cut down but I feel like it's someone bday or some big event every damn month
30t6p3b.gif
laugh.gif
)

question to those of you guys living in the more expensive Manhattan areas; what are your reasons for not moving a bit uptown or just over the bk bridge for a bit cheaper rent?
not hatin on ya lifestyles, you guys can obviously manage to live there, just curious to see ya personal preferences.

Originally Posted by datdude0903

question to those of you guys living in the more expensive Manhattan areas; what are your reasons for not moving a bit uptown or just over the bk bridge for a bit cheaper rent?
not hatin on ya lifestyles, you guys can obviously manage to live there, just curious to see ya personal preferences.
maybe the traveling issue?
btw how much is rent in Manhattan these days?

Back
Top Bottom