How much harder is it now to go platinum?

how much harder is it now then it was back before downloading days

now it seems like very few do it now

It should be easier given all of the media outlets and promotional vehicles.

Most of it's poor management/marketing.

You just need 3 key factors. (for rap anyway)

1. Big catchy singles that get huge airplay.
2. Appeal to females, teeny boppers.
3. Hype/buzz; which comes from the first two, but not always.

Lil Wayne's C3 basically did all 3 to PERFECTION.

Going plat right now off being "good" ?
roll.gif
, good luck. Most 90's classics would barely go gold in this market. Goal went from making"good music" to "appeal to as many people as possible" in around '97.

Originally Posted by M16

roll.gif
, good luck. Most 90's classics would barely go gold in this market. Goal went from making "good music" to "appeal to as many people as possible" in around '97.

MEB comes through this time FTW
pimp.gif

its dang near impossible.i would say there is only a few music artists left that can go platinum in this economy right now.

Originally Posted by M16

roll.gif
, good luck. Most 90's classics would barely go gold in this market. Goal went from making "good music" to "appeal to as many people as possible" in around '97.

not necessarily

flo-rida or souljah boy arent close to platinum

but artists like ti and wayne, which albums were decent (carter 3 not as much), went big

people who buy records dont frequent on the internet like that these labels need to cut the internet ad budget and focus more on the street advertising likethey use too

Originally Posted by M16

roll.gif

NOT true. If it was that simple Flo-Rida's new album would've gone Diamond in one month.
-The Juice

The thing is TI and Wayne are still looked at as serious rappers. Flo-Rida and SB are not. Except for certain areas, neither dude has #3 down... who the hellis saying "Flo-Rida the greatest alive" "Soulja Boy GOAT"
roll.gif

Wayne actually has people everywhere seriously believing he's top_ , (rolling stone even rated C3 top 3 albums of 08... he won a damn grammy
laugh.gif
) hastons of female/teeny bopper fans, and hit singles. Trash like Lolipop was killing it.

Like... Flo Rida had only #1 down (nationally speaking) Bow Wow had only #2 down. Joe Budden right now has only #3 down (atleast on NT
laugh.gif
). You need thewhole package.

Nas's Untitled was better than all them dudes combined but still didn't go Plat, because it failed at mass appeal; no matter how good it was.

It just seems like ppl who like good hip hop stopped buying albums, like myself. I can't call it though but I know my pockets be empty when it comes to theretail.

The internet simply ruined album sales...it's as simple as that.
negative.

Labels being dumb and not embracing the internet ruined album sales. Not to mention poor quality albums *cough Jadakiss*

I wouldn't blame the internet.

You'd be surprised how many people don't know how to download an album off of the net (not using iTunes anyway). I've had to learn a few people onhow to use WinRAR

how can you not blame the internet???
take lil waynes carter 3 for example,when that one guy put it on datpiff it was downloaded more than 2million times! imagine if the internet wasnt around,hewould have went about 5times platinum.
come on now,if someone has the option to pay for an album or to download it for free what do you think they are goint to do?
INTERNET FD UP MUSIC SALES(and sucky music nowadays is a reason too)

There is independent vehicle websites for album purchasing so you can't blame record companies for that.

I'd blame the government for letting people download freely before them.

The upside is as an artist you do have major control of your sales, and demographic and type of music.

Originally Posted by frankthekingdtx

how can you not blame the internet???
take lil waynes carter 3 for example,when that one guy put it on datpiff it was downloaded more than 2million times! imagine if the internet wasnt around,he would have went about 5times platinum.
come on now,if someone has the option to pay for an album or to download it for free what do you think they are goint to do?
INTERNET FD UP MUSIC SALES(and sucky music nowadays is a reason too)

its artists responsibility to keep the album in safe hands.
of course its gets leaked but C3 got leaked in the middle of the recording process

of course, many artists are just randomly dropping albums these days without building the proper buzz.
A allhiphop article saying your album dropping in JUne is not proper buzz
grin.gif

How can anyone say its easier to go platinum now a days?
One of the most idiotic comments I've ever read on here.

^ "idiotic" is not the right word fam...there is not a term negative enough to describe these comments/claims...
laugh.gif
smh.gif
alien.gif

Originally Posted by eye see soles

It should be easier given all of the media outlets and promotional vehicles.

Most of it's poor management/marketing.
Easier? All the outlets you speak of means it's harder to go platinum. For decades, the only way you could hear an album was to buy it.That's it. You would NOT hear it otherwise. Now, you have to market yourself like crazy to even get people interested. The internet killed album sales. Thefilm industry lucked out in that people like the escapism they get from going to a theater, but the record industry is dead.

You know the game is messed up when the highest selling album of the year only went 3x platinum.

I remember back in the day the pop scene doing insane numbers....12, 13, 14 million just in the states.

I think the population as a whole has changed, our attention spans have grown shorter with the rise of technology.

That along with most artist today not being real artist, just fly-by-night get rich quick acts that might have a catchy hook or something.

Originally Posted by M16

roll.gif
Doesn't that go hand in hand...
grin.gif

nearly impossible to go platinum nowadays....

think about it like this...lil wayne is today's cultural icon and he's only sold 3 million...10 years or so ago Ma$e was JUST a rap superstar and hesold

over 4 million copies.

the internet and ipods killed CD's...there's really no reason to buy em. i rather pay for something i can't download..like a artist shirt or a rapconcert.

Back
Top Bottom