How much informationg can the Brain hold in gigabytes?

we'll never know

personally...I say it's unlimited in storage

it's the recall ability that is limited.

well that depends..memories are stored chemically as proteins or what not (not sure, never studied bio) and that means there has to be a physical limit

I don't know but I read that the human brain can hold about 100 trillion facts in a lifetime.

I don't remember where I read it, but someone's best guess at quantifying it was 40 petabytes.

^ The average NT'er
smile.gif

Originally Posted by gregorio1

I don't remember where I read it, but someone's best guess at quantifying it was 40 petabytes.

That's what I saw in the discovery channel one day. They said it was only an estimate though.

can you even name every single file in the windows folder
laugh.gif
hard drive> brain but seriously you its not possible to put them in the same class. its like asking which can calculate 574574839374 * 4845836383faster

Originally Posted by vandalshark

can you even name every single file in the windows folder
laugh.gif
hard drive > brain but seriously you its not possible to put them in the same class. its like asking which can calculate 574574839374 * 4845836383 faster

Google:
[h2][size=+1]574 574 839 374 * 4 845 836 383 = 2.78429566 × 10[sup]21[/sup][/size][/h2]

First, the ability to store memories is not infinite unless you believe there is a non-physical aspect of your brain that has infiinite storage.

Second, you could theoretically quantify the number. The only problem is that the brain is constantly changing and also the brain doesn't store things inthe standard way. Everything is distributed and plastic and recall itself would change things.

mind is infinite, universe is mental, watch your thoughts and be careful on some click click wu tang the W tip

The real "geek" move would be to ask in what manner is the information stored and/or formatted. Is there a certain level of compression? Is theinformation being stored in plain text? Also, the assumption is that it would have to be stored in some sort of database since the information would beregularly be recalled and/or queried. If that's the case, is there an additional indexing database that keeps track of where each bit of information isstored? Does each section of the brain contain it's own database? Do the left and right sides server as a active/passive failover pair? Or do are they inan active/active cluster, each running their own fucntions but still have the ability to failover to one another in the event of a hardware fault.

There's just so much to ask before one can answer this question.

Back
Top Bottom