How much sense would a camera on the iPad make?

balloonoboy

Banned
In my ongoing quest to weigh the pro and cons of this device, I pose this question to you, NT.

At first I was utterly appalled that such a device, with it's pick up-and-play nature, did not include a camera. Now, I'm starting to think it may be best that it doesn't.

If there were a front-facing camera and the device were in your lap, it would probably capture the underside of your chin and all of your nostril hairs. This is not the ideal position one would want to use a camera in, especially if they're video conferencing or talking to a loved one via skype.

I'm forced to question the strength of this argument since third parties could somehow come up with accessories that remedy this problem completely.

So, Apple may or may not be withholding a camera until the later generation. One wonders.

You say it like people dont iChat with their Macbook on their lap..

A camera on this thing would have made it awesome for iChat.

Selling an camera accessory by Apple makes it awesome for Apple.

A camera would have been
smokin.gif
for Skype

Son, I've been going back and forth with the pros and cons too, although my immediate reaction was pass. But you act like if it had a cam you can't tilt your head or just place the iPad in a direction so that the cam isn't pointing at your nostrils.

Cam def. would have made this device better, I'm sure 3rd party cam might become available via USB. To really sold me, change the O/S.

I'm interested, those seriously considering on purchasing for a useful purpose and not because YOU MUST HAVE all new gadgets, what's some of your pros vs cons (and do you own an iPhone/itouch).

its just a marketing technique...
this first release is not going to have a camera bcuz the second one probably will.
third one more features, and so on
so people that buy this one will buy the second one (at least a good percentage)
just like the 3Gs iphone with video. etc...
its all marketing and Apple does the best at it.
they know how people will react.

dont call it a laptop... laptops multitask...

that !!*+ is a damn joke... oversized mobile media device or some !!*+...

Originally Posted by DJMano34

this first release is not going to have a camera bcuz the second one probably will.
so people that buy this one will buy the second one (at least a good percentage)
i agree. people get suckerd in to buying the first generation, then they add/change one simple thing ( like a cam or the color etc) and people immediately "must have" the new thing. labtops just seem like a more logical choice, unless you got that kind of money to then more power to you

Originally Posted by MusicalExcellence

dont call it a laptop... laptops multitask...

that !!*+ is a damn joke... oversized mobile media device or some !!*+...
oversized ipod touch

Originally Posted by emiliano zapato

Originally Posted by DJMano34

i agree. people get suckerd in to buying the first generation, then they add/change one simple thing ( like a cam or the color etc) and people immediately "must have" the new thing. labtops just seem like a more logical choice, unless you got that kind of money to then more power to you

labtops though.

If the new iPhone has a forward facing camera that will make it capable for iChat, the iPad will still be useless. And even if the iPad has the capability to do conferences, you still might as well get a laptop so you can multitask. I just don't see the use of an iPad, unless it is insanely cheaper then a laptop.

Back
Top Bottom