How much you dropping for that engagement ring?

Originally Posted by Kingtre

it's all relative...if you work at footaction and she works at auntie annes then you prob shouldn't be spending no 10k on a ring...on the other hand if you both are in the 100k range and both have other jewels/watches etc of value then 10k might seem low...at the end of the day the ring should be in line with your tastes and what you can afford

that rule of thumb nonsense is all marketing ...buy what you like and can afford....if she wants something for 40k and your holding $500 then its prob best to wait and save while u make sure yall are compatible....

Best post in this thread 
pimp.gif

Married 3+ years now, spent $5500... spend what you can, don't go into debt.

Go with a quality cut stone, first and foremost. You can always change the setting.

$40K sounds way overboard, to be honest. Even $10K is a lot...

10K??

You guys can pay retail...

Luckily I've been able to build relationships with people in the jewelry/diamond business.

diamonds and settings at cost...if and when that time comes
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by JayHood23

Go ahead and let them @%$%%+ say they want a $40k engagement ring. Once she gets it and ya'll eating Ramen noodles for the next 7 years she better not say a word and you can just tell her that her filet minon is on her finger
QFT
laugh.gif
Originally Posted by ThaT Dude173

10k?? Mine would not approve me dropping that much on a ring.
You got a keeper. Seems like she aint the materialistic type (assuming).

I'm lucky in the sense that by boy &business partner knows a custom jeweler/jewelry designer (not in the states) who works for a reputable jeweler. 
My woman has never made an issue over the price, and doesn't expect some 100k USD ring. 

But basically, I already met the dude regarding some other stuff I was doing at the time, and he basically said he'll charge be the base labour of what he does, and just above cost for the stones & metal (but obviously it won't come with the jewelry stores branding).  Luckily I have another friend who's in the diamond business, so I can basically check up whether the dude will be hustlin me or not on the price. 

My boy got something like below from the same connect without the eternity band (and obviously a smaller centre stone) for about 3k USD, it was supposed to cost him close to 10k USD had be bought it through a store. Had it independently appraised and all.

However I'm looking to get a watered down version of something like this (while spending about 8k-9kUSD through my connect)

ENGAGEMENT_SIDE.jpg

17140_325072878759_721983759_4748440_7473483_n_595.jpg

My sisters' is similar design wise except it has to two stones on either side of the main stone.

I swear these last few days on Niketalk has been so surreal.
With post relating to college and other major things happening in real life.
Yesterday one of my best friends got engaged and the week before that another friend did as well .
With that said I wouldnt drop over 2k on an engagement ring.

The way I proposed to my girlfriend was romantic. I was giving her oral pleasure and pulled a ring out of her. Turns out it was a bad time of the month, I gave her a blood diamond.

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

The way I proposed to my girlfriend was romantic. I was giving her oral pleasure and pulled a ring out of her. Turns out it was a bad time of the month, I gave her a blood diamond.
indifferent.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by lobotomybeats

indifferent.gif

roll.gif

I JUST BOUGHT AN ENGAGEMENT RING. WENT WITH A 1 CT. LEO DIAMOND FROM KAY.

PAID $4200 CASH WITH THE ADDED WARRANTY. I TOLD MY GIRL STRAIGHT UP I WAS NOT GOING INTO DEBT OVER THE RING. SHE AGREED THAT WAS A WISE DECISION. MORE MONEY FOR A DOWN PAYMENT ON A HOUSE.

Originally Posted by CJDynasty

Are you are getting credit for these or are y'all pulling Randy Moss "Straight Cash"... I don't want debt from a ring so I'm going cash.
I PAID CASH.

CREDIT ON ENGAGEMENT RINGS IS FOR DUMMIES. SALES GUY KEPT TRYING TO GET ME TO GET CREDIT SO I COULD SPEND MORE THAN MY $4500 LIMIT.
grin.gif

paid a bit over 3k on my wifes ring. 1/2 ct solitaire, VVS2, H or G color. Platinum setting. Could have gotten a bigger/better one, but she wanted Tiffany's.

Would definitely recommend not spending 10k on an engagement ring, unless 1) you can pay cash and 2) your not gonna miss that 10k cash.

to OP: you need to drop that bimbo ASAP. A chick that expects something like that is a hole in the head, Something you don't want or need. I bet old girl doesn't even make 40k a yr.

I paid $2000. 10-15K for an engagement ring? That seems like a bit much, If you have the money, why not.

if you get a big engagement ring do you get a bigger wedding ring or trade the engagement ring in?

Originally Posted by ksteezy

this thread in the days of sillyputy would go in for about 50 pages....lol

you spend what you can afford dude.

/thread.
Buy something nice for her that fits your own budget.  You can always upgrade as your marriage/careers progress.

DC got a point though...

women may say this or that... but in all actuality...

they want to floss... they want to be seen...

to the outside world, the nominal value of the ring = how much the man loves his wife...

i dont agree w/ it... and i will not personally do anything that stupid...

but it is what it is...

Originally Posted by ksteezy

you spend what you can afford dude.

This is the correct answer sir. Putting a monetary value on your affection shows your foolishness

Originally Posted by mytmouse76

if you get a big engagement ring do you get a bigger wedding ring or trade the engagement ring in?

Pardon my ignorance, but I didn't even know this was an option. 
I always thought you buy an engagement, you match it with a wedding ring of the same quality. 

Then a few years later (3-5 pending) you should drop another ring (you don't need to go over the top here). 

Then 10 years  (you don't need to go over the top here)

20 (or 25)  (you don't need to go over the top here).

laugh.gif
not sure if srs but i'll bite

the engagement ring is the joint with the rock ...once you get married the "wedding band" is an additional band worn under the engagement ring - sometimes plain, sometimes they match or attach somehow, some flooded etc

I JUST BOUGHT AN ENGAGEMENT RING. WENT WITH A 1 CT. LEO DIAMOND FROM KAY.

PAID $4200 CASH WITH THE ADDED WARRANTY. I TOLD MY GIRL STRAIGHT UP I WAS NOT GOING INTO DEBT OVER THE RING. SHE AGREED THAT WAS A WISE DECISION. MORE MONEY FOR A DOWN PAYMENT ON A HOUSE.
not wise to go into debt but also prob not wise to mess with the big box retailers...you prob coulda got a better deal/quality bang for your buck dealing with independent jewelers or even somewhere like bluenile

Originally Posted by Kingtre

laugh.gif
not sure if srs but i'll bite

the engagement ring is the joint with the rock ...once you get married the "wedding band" is an adiditional band worn under the engagement ring - sometimes plain, sometimes they match or attach somehow, some flooded etc

very serious...
laugh.gif

i thought the man's ring was a band cuz its usually plain lol

thank you

Back
Top Bottom