How often do you donate/get rid of shoes?

As the title suggest, how often do y’all get rid of kicks for new ones? For the past two years, I’ve been getting rid of a shoe every time I buy one to curb the addiction and not grow my collection anymore. Been collecting for 10 yrs, and as I simply my life and wardrobe, I notice I don’t wear many of the kicks I have anyways (some of the wild colors).

I have worn all of my shoes though with the exception of like maybe two or three of that. I have about 70-80 pairs and I feel like this is too much now, thankfully Nike has been raising the price of all their models lately which helps with me not buying lol. As I've gotten older, my goal isn't to have some gigantic collection and own every shoe imaginable anymore. I've actually been happy seeing some of my 6-8 Year old shoes finally cracking and sole’s separating from the amount of wear I put in them, as getting rid of those are much easier than donating ones that are in good condition. I feel like I’m too lazy to do the eBay thing to sell my used shoes either and typically drop them at the donation box for the homeless to scoop up and wear. How do you all get rid of shoes?

i would like to sell mines but im too lazy for all that and i can't deal with sneaker dorks.
what i've done more often than not is gift them to unsuspecting nephews and kids of friends etc etc.
it makes the money i wasted on the sneakers feel a little better cause it's dope to give stuff out to people that would cherish them more.

i'm going on a work mission trip to tanzania soon and this reminds me it would be dope to give some cold kicks out there.
went to vietnam for a similar thing and seeing a kid rocking eggplant foams in third world conditions felt better than me copping any shoe for myself.

i would like to sell mines but im too lazy for all that and i can't deal with sneaker dorks.
what i've done more often than not is gift them to unsuspecting nephews and kids of friends etc etc.
it makes the money i wasted on the sneakers feel a little better cause it's dope to give stuff out to people that would cherish them more.

i'm going on a work mission trip to tanzania soon and this reminds me it would be dope to give some cold kicks out there.
went to vietnam for a similar thing and seeing a kid rocking eggplant foams in third world conditions felt better than me copping any shoe for myself.
Thank you for your reply! I used to give them to my brother and younger cousin but they have their own money now and don’t take them as much as they used to, and any friends that I do have don’t have my size! I was looking into that let go app and might start utilizing that, but I’m in that same boat as you where it feels better when I know who gets them, rather than taking them to goodwill just for them to resell them. The money is already wasted on the shoes so it shouldn’t be a big deal if I just give them away and thank god I don’t waste as much money as I used to on shoes (although this year has been pretty bad in my opinion), but it’s still hard for me nonetheless. And it’s not like Im just trying to clear out space to buy more shoes because I am so much more picky nowadays and don’t cop shoes just for the hell of it. And major, major respect for giving out shoes like that man, I know there is probably no better feeling than helping someone out like that. I almost hate that I live on cali, in LA of all places. The access to so many shoes is kind of bad for me to be honest lol. The environment here is too good for consumerism

It used to be so easy to just throw some stuff on Ebay and get rid of it. Even worn stuff you could clean them up and get a few bucks for.

The game has changed so much now. Re-selling is tough. I wear all my stuff to the bone and whatever I have left will go to my kids.

I haven't sold anything in over 10 years.

I’ve been either gifting to my roommate or brother since all of us wear a 13.

It’s been to the point now that I don’t even wear 1/4th my collection on a yearly basis so why not get rid of them.

I usually go through my stuff and give always clothes/shoes once a month or every other month to my nephew or another family member. The older I get the more I realize most of them stuff I purchase be mad unnecessary and cutting back in 2023 most definitely.

Given a few pairs away to the local Goodwill/charity over the years, but the shoes I buy I tend to wear out or keep in good condition. There are probably 3-4 pairs I could do without right now though.

At this point once a week I take a look at my closet including sneakers and donate 10-15 items. It's a thing for me this year, I will be doing this until I get down to clothes that I love.

I am in the process of selling the majority of what I have left that I don't want to keep. I photographed about 130 pairs that I want gone (which is about 85% of my collection). I will put my Google Album in an ad on Craigslist for anyone to see what's available (older Jordan Retros, Nike retros, Reebok retros, Fila retros & Ewing retros. Most are never worn or worn only a few times. I plan on putting the prices low, just to get something for them whatever I can get. Some as low as $50 or so.

Whatever doesn't work, then I'll send a message to the local sneaker shop to see if they will take whatever I have left for a small amount per shoe (enough for them to still make a profit if they want to). Then, some shoes, I'll just either donate in one of those metal shoe collection bins, or maybe, take a few pairs to something like Plato's Closet. I also found out that posting replies to photos of shoes I have for sale actually works. Sold a DS pair of Nike Pro Streak Max retros because one person saw my reply, stating I had a pair for sale. So that works and I may try it for some more. But these all need to go as I'm done with collecting for the most part.

Back
Top Bottom