How reliant are you on review sites?

Taking a break from looking for apartments, and I (again) realized how reliant I was on review sites. I'm sure everyone does this, especially for "big" ticket items like laptops and televisions, but I find myself doing research even on household products.

Anyone else find themselves going to review sites when shopping? Or do you just roll the dice and hope your purchases work out?

I go review sites for just about everything. Sneakers, movies, games, music, etc.

No sense in being an uninformed consumer, especially with the amount of information and reviews readily available these days.

Reviews are great... I like to visit forums if its a big item too.

For example if its a TV I'm looking at id head over to avsforum and see what people there say about it.  Or new camera equipment id go to photography-on-the-net

Similarly if I was looking for some shoes, I'd ask the appropriate forum on NT.

There's forums for just about anything full of great info from people who know what they're talking about more than joe schmo Bestbuy.com reviewer.

Too much information available for us not to use it.

I've read reviews on damn near everything I purchase. Hell, I remember reading the reviews on socks from the Sock It To Me store on amazon.

Yes... Socks. :stoneface:

Last edited:
Not too much. People tend to be quiet when they are content, vocal when they are angry. Mix that with the number that were just uninformed consumers that didn't do their research and bought the product for the wrong reasons, or just don't know how to use it. I still read them though, I've learned to pick out the relevant parts from the good and bad reviews.

Not too much. People tend to be quiet when they are content, vocal when they are angry. Mix that with the number that were just uninformed consumers that didn't do their research and bought the product for the wrong reasons, or just don't know how to use it. I still read them though, I've learned to pick out the relevant parts from the good and bad reviews.
Good point there too... People are much more likely to run to the review site with a negative experience than they are with a positive one.

reviews are def accurate but you gotta watch out for the "sponsored" reviews

where companies just pay people to leave positive reviews easy to spot though

if you look into that persons profile 

Reviews just made me rethink a purchase I was about to make today. Everything was superb except the reason I wanted to buy the item for. Since I came or the store all I been doing is reading reviews ...

Usually revert to Amazon & make sure they are "Verified Purchase" reviews. As for food & entertainment activities, I look at "ranked" reviewers posts...

I use review sites regularly to research companies I'm applying for, or confirm what I already think about a particular product, or to research new things I'm looking to try. I love review sites.

I'm in LA for mother's day weekend. The family went to mariachis reataurant in East LA in the mercadito. Food was delicious, but took an hour and a half to get to our table. Service was HORRIBLE. Gonna create a yelp account just to leave a bad review.

I do this a lot.

I rarely write reviews myself.

If it's a big ticket item that doesn't have a lot of reviews, I'll write one.

Last edited:
Mostly do it for electronics if a lot of being spent on it.

I feel like actual products are easier to review. Thus, I trust Amazon reviews greatly.

For restaurants, hotels, etc., I am kind of leery because people are very subjective and most good experiences are never publicized.

Reviews play a big role into whether or not I purchase a product. If someone else already made a mistake by buying it, why wouldn't I take their experience and apply it? I am weary of the butthurt customers and ill-informed reviewers, but they are pretty easy to identify

Well said completely agree with this point. I use them but don't completely rely on my decision to come from reviews

It weeds out a lot of crap. Other than that I'll just see for myself among the top 10 or so

Last edited:
Son...I read/watch reviews AFTER buying just to validate my awesome decision making.

That's next level sadness right there.

I'm a scumbag. I rely on reviews for my purchases but never actually review anything myself.

I'm in LA for mother's day weekend. The family went to mariachis reataurant in East LA in the mercadito. Food was delicious, but took an hour and a half to get to our table. Service was HORRIBLE. Gonna create a yelp account just to leave a bad review.

It was mothers day tho. Any decent restaurant is packed to the brim during mothers day weekend. Maybe they couldn't handle the extra volume.
I'd give them another shot before posting a negative review especially since the food was good.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom