How should you feel about “canceled” artists?

As the thread title implies, how should you feel about artists after they have “problematic” public issues such as a Chris brown/XXX beating on women, Kanye riding with trump, kelly smashing minors? Is it a case by case basis where you give your favorite artist a pass or just automatically canceled? Should the art be separated from the artist? Is it ok to still play their music you enjoyed before allegations or that’s supporting them thus their behavior? It’s a hot topic in music right know just asking.

1. Gotta cancel more than half the entertainment business. So many actors and artists are out of here if you’re concerned with their personal lives.

2. I don’t think I’ve ever stopped listening to anyone because of what they do. I stopped listening to new Kanye cause his music been trash since 2011-2012 but I still play some of his old ****.

3. Listening to their music doesn’t mean you agree with their lifestyle or what they do in private.

You can bump/listen or ignore/cancel whoever and whatever you want. I just dont think its cool to impose your stance on individuals who either feel opposite or could overall care less on a macro level since in most situations none of that **** affects our day to day.

It's funny how tons of people online will be posting stuff like "___ IS CANCELLED 2019" or whatever, but the same artist will drop a new single a week later and still get loads of plays and positive reactions from blogs... the general public has very little impact on artists careers, even if they're terrible human beings. outside of the music. this music industry only cares about money, so whatever so and so did will fly by, because someone is still making a dollar off their professional career. people turn their heads for good art, and they also turn their heads for controversial topics - together they make a killer combo for publicity and new media. almost as if being "cancelled" is now a good thing for artists, makes them relevant in way.

It's funny how tons of people online will be posting stuff like "___ IS CANCELLED 2019" or whatever, but the same artist will drop a new single a week later and still get loads of plays and positive reactions from blogs... the general public has very little impact on artists careers, even if they're terrible human beings. outside of the music. this music industry only cares about money, so whatever so and so did will fly by, because someone is still making a dollar off their professional career. people turn their heads for good art, and they also turn their heads for controversial topics - together they make a killer combo for publicity and new media. almost as if being "cancelled" is now a good thing for artists, makes them relevant in way.
Good post. And yes, in certain genres of music you get points for being a despicable person.

ive never given a **** about what artists have done. i just listen to the music, i dont know what most of these artists do nor care about their lives. there's a ton of songs whom i dont really even know who the artist is other than their stage name... i couldnt put a face to them.

since i have no attachment to the person, i can enjoy the music with a clear mind no matter what the artist has done. im judging their music, not praising or condoning their behavior or actions.

also,

i find it hypocritical that ppl wanna pick n choose which cause they wanna stand for. same white Politically Correct ppl who are like oh cancel xxxtentacion r kelly chris brown mike vick they beat women up kill animals this that the 3rd

be the same ones praising chief keef reciting Faneto and other drill artists who may or may not have killed other black people. how does that look? "smoke a tooka pack" tooka was just a little kid and got killed in chicago.

i don't think about these things when i listen to the music, but if i see you "CANCEL" one artist for something, im gonna look at u funny nd strange for not cancelling the other one... are u saying.. u'r not cool with women beating and animal killing, but u love it when it's blacks praising gunplay and killing other black youth?

if u keep energy for one, keep the same energy for all.

You can’t “cancel” an artist because they have questionable tendencies.

Michael Jackson would’ve got the allegation shutdown if that was the case.

As for R. Kelly. I’ll separate the art from the artist. Most our favorite celebs are ****bags. I’m a Kobe fan. He had serious allegations against him. Most Laker fans didn’t care if he went from the courtroom in Colorado to scoring 40 at Staples center the same day.

We like entertainers for the entertainment. Not for who they are. That sounds shallow but it’s true. Let them be held accountable for their actions. No sympathy here.

If he goes to jail he goes to jail. I like his music, not the person he is.

Robert Sylvester Kelly is innocent. Keep trying to cancel him. God got him!!
tenor.gif

Of the names you mentioned, outside of R. Kelly, they all whack or make whack music for the most part now (Kanye).

Not hard to avoid them.

Imma still bump Kellz though. Too many classics, too many great songs that have been a part of my life.

Of the names you mentioned, outside of R. Kelly, they all whack or make whack music for the most part now (Kanye).

Not hard to avoid them.

Imma still bump Kellz though. Too many classics, too many great songs that have been a part of my life.

When's the last time P Kelly made good music?

Back
Top Bottom