How to improve my vocabulary? Poor memory over here.

NT scholars,

How can I improve my memory? I tried to expand my vocab for years now. Some words stick, others seems always to fly away. I would look up the same words days later. Like I memorize it, then I forget it! Damn this brain inability.

I'm over here reading a dictionary
smh.gif

Btw, I'm 20, if it matters.. although it shouldn't

reading the dictionary helps a little, but just reading a wealth of material can increase your vocabulary exponentially.

Just read more. Whenever you come across a word you don't know, look it up. Then try to incorporate the word into your everyday vernacular.

word a day toilet paper??

Im sure you've tried to learn one word a day and use it throughout the day.

Try and come up with a visual reference for the definitions. The more descriptive the better. Trying to memorize something off of repetition alone is the worst way to learn something.

Write the word, part of speech, and definition

Synonyms and antonyms

Then make up your own sentence using that word..

Good luck.. It helps

Try associating words with something. For instance, whenever I learn a word I use it in a sentence so I remember the context in which I used the word.

I'll use the Merriam-Webster online word of the day as an example

tantalize - to tease or torment by or as if by presenting something desirable to the view but continually keeping it out of reach

Now, who tantalizes others? How about an older brother? Okay, How about MY older brother, Kevin.

Kevin mercilessly tantalized me by repeatedly holding out the ball only to snatch it back at the last second.

Now I'll associate tantalize and the ball example with my older brother Kevin and remember what tantalize means.

You probably already know what tantalize means but try this with others. I hope this helps.

I'm also assuming you've tried learning a new word daily. I remember looking at a list of magazines that are recommended for students studying for the SAT (I'll come back and post the list if I can find it) and Sports Illustrated was ranked pretty high. It has some of the best writing in journalism, and you're probably interested in the content and can understand any new words in a sports context. The subscription is expensive (I bum the previous week's issue from my dad when I'm in town), but I'm sure your local library orders it.

read books and if you don't recognize a word, take the time to look it up

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

read books and if you don't recognize a word, take the time to look it up
This.  The school I went to from grades 7-12 required us to read about 4-5 books over the summer, and we would incorporate them into our course work throughout the year.  
Anytime we came across a word that we didn't know, we were supposed to write it down on a flash card, and find the definition.  Then every week throughout the year we would have vocabulary tests based on the words that every student gave from their list.  This will probably go a long way in helping expand your vocabulary.  To take it a step further, once you have defined whatever word it is you didn't know, look up both a synonym and an antonym for that word.  This can be tedious, including the time spent reading, but it definitely helps.

I work with a girl who is pretty much ******ed when it comes to anything science/math related, but she is pretty well spoken, and tosses out big words here and there (epiphany, copacetic, etc.).  When copacetic came from this girl's mouth I kind of just tilted my head and said, "huh?"  It's weird hearing knowledge from people who otherwise present themselves as kind of dumb.

As everyone has said reading but also watch Televison programming where proper and articulate speech is the norm. Watching the CNN's and C-SPAN's will give you a good idea on how to present articulate dialogue in a conversational manner. It's also good to get out and speak to people, not just your boys 'round the way, but those you might meet at social events, at school, etc. You learn a lot from hearing others and then trying to replicate it on your own.

If you're going to read, try not to read "trash" reading. You're not going to get much vocabulary help from Twilight
laugh.gif
. The more you read, the more you'll come across unfamiliar words. Like others suggested, take the time to look them up. For the most part, these same words will probably appear in other texts, which will help build your vocabulary and strengthen your understanding of the text.

Read and I've started writing letters to people as of late, mostly females haha! It's something different and it helps build your vocabulary, it's also helped me cut down on texting and all of that junk that's poisoning the minds of the youth and dumbing them down. I saw that new phone where you drag the letters or some crap. Dude in the commercial had MAD spelling errors but people only care about how fast you can text. SMH.

Back
Top Bottom