How to Make an unprotected Left turn???

Discussion in 'General' started by 80jerryrice80, Feb 26, 2009.

1. 80jerryrice80

80jerryrice80

I got my third retake of my license test coming up, last chance, and I was wondering if anyone knows how to make a left turn at an unprotected intersectionlegally... Thnx

2. jp310

jp310

wait what? Can u give a situation? Maybe i can help u then

3. carlosdapaperboy

carlosdapaperboy

you should never make an unprotected left turn.....

4. fraij da 5 11

fraij da 5 11

5. rexanglorum

rexanglorum

Based on your name, avy and sig, I assume that you're living here in California.[​IMG]

If the arrow is green, you have the right off way.

If the arrow is red, you cannot even try to left left.

When you got a green light and no arrow, you are allowed to commit, go straight into the intersection and when there are no on coming cars and no pedestriansin the cross walk, go for it.

Just be shure to be super cautious and tentative when taking your test but after you pass the way it works in most California cities is you take it if you canthread that needle and if it is rush hour, two cars go on red per light.

6. youngpnoi

youngpnoi

When it's an unprotected light, let the cars oncoming cars go first and when it's safe and no cars or pedestrians around, complete the left turn.

7. touch money

touch money

[​IMG][​IMG]you cant drive

8. jp310

jp310

Yup. The on coming cars have the right away. 3 times tho[​IMG]

9. 80jerryrice80

80jerryrice80

Like i didn't google it before [​IMG]. I googled it like 3 times and looked at everything up to page 4.

10. bluexsneakerhead

bluexsneakerhead Banned

when the light is green and not a protected turn, make sure you signal so cars can know you're making your left turn. if there are oncoming cars makingtheir left turn on the opposite side of/aross the intersection, drive to the center of the intersection and stop until the car makes their turn. THEN whenthere are no cars around, make your left turn safely.

...hope you understood what i was saying [​IMG] good luck.

11. mangudai954

mangudai954

When I first started driving I didn't know this. Didn't understand why people were honking at me smh.

12. 80jerryrice80

80jerryrice80

I have been going into the middle of the intersection and waiting , but what if the worst case scenario arises and no one gives me the right of way and itturns red while im in the middle of the intersection???

13. badboyf0life420

badboyf0life420

just make sure when you do go forward a little bit while waiting to make a left turn.. make sure ... and i repeat make sure you dont turn yourwheel to the left ..

14. dendanskesimon

dendanskesimon Banned

lol hilarious

if it turns red, the cars will stop coming in that direction so you will have a chance to turn left before the light goes green in the other direction

15. 80jerryrice80

80jerryrice80

I know about not turning the wheel to the left, lol i read the drivers handbook. But again, how do I ensure that I don't get stuck in the intersection???

[​IMG] I would fail my drivers test if this happened to me

16. caobone

caobone

What you're gonna have to do is head out to the intersection, and let oncoming cars go, then proceed. You'll most likely have enough time so the lightwon't turn red.

17. rexanglorum

rexanglorum

As everyone else said, if you can't get an opening while the light is green, you clear the inresection as soon as the light is red and the on comingtraffic stops.

BTW, I am sure it is three in some places but where I live we normally have two when it is crowded. Officially, only one car is allowed to go per light butevery city has its own unofficial left turn rules.

18. donfratrachelli

donfratrachelli Banned

When we were in California this summer, it was almost all unprotected left turns, sucks. There aren't enough of them here in our city for it to be part ofour driving test. What is though that snags most people because it's an automatic fail though, is the left turn getting out into traffic. Most people dothe halfway thing where they cross the traffic going one way then chill sideways by the median until they can get in, which is incorrect. Also, the yellowlines for the turn are still in tact there so you have to make sure not to cross them when turning or that's an automatic fail, i.e you turn into the firstlane at more of a 90 degree angle than like "\" that.

19. digital022

digital022

Its so easy yet so many people fail at it, just like 4 way stop signs.

If you are stuck in the intersection at a red light, it would only be due to a car in the opposite direction running a red light. You can sense when traffic iscoming to a stop at the yellow. Also, be considerate of the cars behind you. Nothing worse than the clueless drivers that go one car per light, especially whenI'm eight cars back.[​IMG]

20. 80jerryrice80

80jerryrice80

on my license test I might just do that.

21. eight2one

eight2one

you guys make driving seem extremely hard!

22. powdbyrice

powdbyrice

hate the people that dont enter the intersection when the light is green and sit at the line.

23. step your game up

step your game up Banned

Rex is right.

And if you're stuck in the intersection waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear (while you have a green light, not arrow) and it turns red - make sureoncoming traffic has stopped for their red light (or stopping once they see yellow) then swiftly but calmly make the left as to get out of the intersection.Your green light will turn yellow, so prepare to turn but don't turn the wheel yet, and then when it is red and the intersection is clear, immediately makethe turn, sometimes the car behind you might try to squeeze in as well. Hope that makes sense...

24. jumpoffthegod

jumpoffthegod

How did you fail a drivers test 3 times?? [​IMG]

25. pacific

pacific

I'm lost.