How to Make an unprotected Left turn???

I got my third retake of my license test coming up, last chance, and I was wondering if anyone knows how to make a left turn at an unprotected intersectionlegally... Thnx

Based on your name, avy and sig, I assume that you're living here in California.
laugh.gif

If the arrow is green, you have the right off way.

If the arrow is red, you cannot even try to left left.

When you got a green light and no arrow, you are allowed to commit, go straight into the intersection and when there are no on coming cars and no pedestriansin the cross walk, go for it.

Just be shure to be super cautious and tentative when taking your test but after you pass the way it works in most California cities is you take it if you canthread that needle and if it is rush hour, two cars go on red per light.

When it's an unprotected light, let the cars oncoming cars go first and when it's safe and no cars or pedestrians around, complete the left turn.

Originally Posted by Rexanglorum

Based on your name, avy and sig, I assume that you're living here in California.
laugh.gif

When you got a green light and no arrow, you are allowed to commit, go straight into the intersection and when there are no on coming cars and no pedestrians in the cross walk, go for it.

Just be shure to be super cautious and tentative when taking your test but after you pass the way it works in most California cities is you take it if you can thread that needle and if it is rush hour, two cars go on red per light.
Yup. The on coming cars have the right away. 3 times tho
eyes.gif

when the light is green and not a protected turn, make sure you signal so cars can know you're making your left turn. if there are oncoming cars makingtheir left turn on the opposite side of/aross the intersection, drive to the center of the intersection and stop until the car makes their turn. THEN whenthere are no cars around, make your left turn safely.

...hope you understood what i was saying
laugh.gif
good luck.

When I first started driving I didn't know this. Didn't understand why people were honking at me smh.

laugh.gif

When you got a green light and no arrow, you are allowed to commit, go straight into the intersection and when there are no on coming cars and no pedestrians in the cross walk, go for it.

Just be shure to be super cautious and tentative when taking your test but after you pass the way it works in most California cities is you take it if you can thread that needle and if it is rush hour, two cars go on red per light.

I have been going into the middle of the intersection and waiting , but what if the worst case scenario arises and no one gives me the right of way and itturns red while im in the middle of the intersection???

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

laugh.gif

I have been going into the middle of the intersection and waiting , but what if the worst case scenario arises and no one gives me the right of way and it turns red while im in the middle of the intersection???
just make sure when you do go forward a little bit while waiting to make a left turn.. make sure ... and i repeat make sure you dont turn yourwheel to the left ..

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

When I first started driving I didn't know this. Didn't understand why people were honking at me smh.
lol hilarious

if it turns red, the cars will stop coming in that direction so you will have a chance to turn left before the light goes green in the other direction

Originally Posted by badboyf0life420

Originally Posted by 80JerryRice80

laugh.gif

I have been going into the middle of the intersection and waiting , but what if the worst case scenario arises and no one gives me the right of way and it turns red while im in the middle of the intersection???
just make sure when you do go forward a little bit while waiting to make a left turn.. make sure ... and i repeat make sure you dont turn your wheel to the left ..

I know about not turning the wheel to the left, lol i read the drivers handbook. But again, how do I ensure that I don't get stuck in the intersection???
Originally Posted by dendanskesimon

Originally Posted by Mangudai954

lol hilarious

if it turns red, the cars will stop coming in that direction so you will have a chance to turn left before the light goes green in the other direction

laugh.gif
I would fail my drivers test if this happened to me

What you're gonna have to do is head out to the intersection, and let oncoming cars go, then proceed. You'll most likely have enough time so the lightwon't turn red.

As everyone else said, if you can't get an opening while the light is green, you clear the inresection as soon as the light is red and the on comingtraffic stops.

BTW, I am sure it is three in some places but where I live we normally have two when it is crowded. Officially, only one car is allowed to go per light butevery city has its own unofficial left turn rules.

When we were in California this summer, it was almost all unprotected left turns, sucks. There aren't enough of them here in our city for it to be part ofour driving test. What is though that snags most people because it's an automatic fail though, is the left turn getting out into traffic. Most people dothe halfway thing where they cross the traffic going one way then chill sideways by the median until they can get in, which is incorrect. Also, the yellowlines for the turn are still in tact there so you have to make sure not to cross them when turning or that's an automatic fail, i.e you turn into the firstlane at more of a 90 degree angle than like "\" that.

Its so easy yet so many people fail at it, just like 4 way stop signs.

If you are stuck in the intersection at a red light, it would only be due to a car in the opposite direction running a red light. You can sense when traffic iscoming to a stop at the yellow. Also, be considerate of the cars behind you. Nothing worse than the clueless drivers that go one car per light, especially whenI'm eight cars back.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by digital022

Its so easy yet so many people fail at it, just like 4 way stop signs.

If you are stuck in the intersection at a red light, it would only be due to a car in the opposite direction running a red light. You can sense when traffic is coming to a stop at the yellow. Also, be considerate of the cars behind you. Nothing worse than the clueless drivers that go one car per light, especially when I'm eight cars back.
mad.gif

on my license test I might just do that.

Rex is right.

And if you're stuck in the intersection waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear (while you have a green light, not arrow) and it turns red - make sureoncoming traffic has stopped for their red light (or stopping once they see yellow) then swiftly but calmly make the left as to get out of the intersection.Your green light will turn yellow, so prepare to turn but don't turn the wheel yet, and then when it is red and the intersection is clear, immediately makethe turn, sometimes the car behind you might try to squeeze in as well. Hope that makes sense...

Back
Top Bottom