How to obtain a security clearance?

Long story short, I'm unemployed and roughly half of the jobs I look for online require some type of security clearance.    Any idea of what would be the best way of getting sponsored by any type of company in the DMV?   I'm willing to start from the bottom, yet again, but am finding trouble finding any job that will serve as a stepping-stone.    Thanks!

Having and maintaining a clean record is crucial.  You have to start somewhere and some clearances are not transferable to other agencies.  Armed security for Govt sites and even janitorial work at Govt sites offer clearances.

All depends what kind of work you do.....other jobs like contracts, IT, administrative require clearances as well.   

just apply for the desired job. in most cases they pay for your clearance based on experience and placement.

when i graduated college i started working for DoD and they paid for my security clearance.

Good luck bro!

Originally Posted by space jam XI

Long story short, I'm unemployed and roughly half of the jobs I look for online require some type of security clearance.    Any idea of what would be the best way of getting sponsored by any type of company in the DMV?   I'm willing to start from the bottom, yet again, but am finding trouble finding any job that will serve as a stepping-stone.    Thanks!

Paying for a clearance out of pocket is expensive as heck. What type of work you looking for? i work for DOD also and my company paid for my secret clearance.  Do you have a degree?

Originally Posted by iCan

just apply for the desired job. in most cases they pay for your clearance based on experience and placement.

when i graduated college i started working for DoD and they paid for my security clearance.

Good luck bro!
A government agency or company has to sponsor you for a clearance. You can't really just get one on your own.

Good luck though, having a clearance in our area is good.. you'll almost always have a job/job opportunity.

Thats what I meant... having the company sponsor or pay for your clearance should your pre requisites check out good.

Yeah, I have a bachelor's degree in management
ohwell.gif
. I guess the problem I'm having is finding that initial job that will help me get sponsored. It isn't the background check that I'm worried about, it's actually getting a foot in the door.

For people who already have a clearance, did you get your job through networking around here or simply apply online to 32423423 places? I've tried the big contractors (Caci, Booz, Northrop, etc...) to no no avail. I appreciate all the help.

Try accenture or vistronix

i worked at both. accenture paid for my clearance. i had a bba as well in mgmt.

Im in the process of getting one now...may not get it tho
30t6p3b.gif

You need a clean record, good credit and you can't have any relation to any illegal immigrants

Me my man always saying a Security Clearance > College Degree in this area

I thought about joining the Air Force Reserve at one point JUST for the clearance.. but when I found out Id have to do bootcamp in TX for 3 months.. I quickly said bump that...

Originally Posted by bigtomgetsgwap

30t6p3b.gif

You need a clean record, good credit and you can't have any relation to any illegal immigrants

Definitely the truth.

Solewoman - Thanks!   It's very helpful info.

Originally Posted by bigtomgetsgwap

30t6p3b.gif

You really dont need good credit to get a secret clearance. They gon ask you about your student loans. tell them they are default and you are going to start paying on them at a certain time. It will work.

ohwell.gif
. I guess the problem I'm having is finding that initial job that will help me get sponsored. It isn't the background check that I'm worried about, it's actually getting a foot in the door.

For people who already have a clearance, did you get your job through networking around here or simply apply online to 32423423 places? I've tried the big contractors (Caci, Booz, Northrop, etc...) to no no avail. I appreciate all the help.

I got my through my job. I had a great plug. My Cousin was LDCR and a department head. She basically skipped through all the application found mine, call me in for an interview and a day later. I got hired. The navy paid for my security clearance and everything. I get job offers all the time. I recently started working for the army because they was offering 15,000 more than my job i had with the navy.

Originally Posted by SportsJunkie

ohwell.gif

I got my through my job. I had a great plug. My Cousin was LDCR and a department head. She basically skipped through all the application found mine, call me in for an interview and a day later. I got hired. The navy paid for my security clearance and everything. I get job offers all the time. I recently started working for the army because they was offering 15,000 more than my job i had with the navy.

what do you do op?

Originally Posted by jthagreat

ohwell.gif

what do you do op?

System Anaylst

You really dont need good credit to get a secret clearance.
You do need decent credit tho...

You also have to have something stating that you're paying on whatever it is (loan etc.)

You can't just go in there flinging BS around

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by SoleFood06

You also have to have something stating that you're paying on whatever it is (loan etc.)

laugh.gif

Dude my credit is shot to death. My clearnce got approve. The only thing i put down was i deferred on my student loans. The catch is being honest.

FWIW
I know some dudes who humbled themselves and looked for janitorial jobs just for the clearance
once the clearance was granted, they took that along with their degree and opted for other opportunities

You have to have a sponsor for a USG clearance, you can't have it done yourself.

I don't know what exactly you or others in this thread are looking for, but, like with any other job, networking or having an in some place is the best way to go. You have to get hired and then they will put in for your clearance. Depending on the job and clearance level, they might be able to issue you an interim clearance so you can start work right away. In other cases, you have to wait until it goes through. It is not unusual for high clearances to take well over a year to process. To that point, the closer you can get to the clearances used in the intelligence community--TS/SCI with a full scope poly--the more marketable you will be and the higher salary you can command. These agencies need technical and management professionals as well as logistic and facilities support staffs, all cleared, so there are lots of jobs. My last tip would be to look directly with the government in addition to the contractors. While it is true that many agencies contract out a lot of the more blue collar tasks, they still have large numbers of staff employees doing countless numbers of things. Most government jobs are listed on USAJobs, but you can also look directly on the website of any agency you might be interested in as well, and I would recommend that.

Originally Posted by DATDUDEFROMVA

FWIW
I know some dudes who humbled themselves and looked for janitorial jobs just for the clearance
once the clearance was granted, they took that along with their degree and opted for other opportunities

Wow, that's something I would actually consider.    I didn't even know that was a possibility.

Everybody else, thanks for the tips and suggestions.   I truly appreciate all of the help.

Originally Posted by DATDUDEFROMVA

FWIW

Wow, that's something I would actually consider.    I didn't even know that was a possibility.

Everybody else, thanks for the tips and suggestions.   I truly appreciate all of the help.
If that's a route you want to take, check out Aecom and USIS.

Check out SAIC in Columbia. They gave me a clearance even though they knew I was only gonna' be there for a couple of months.

Originally Posted by SoleFood06

laugh.gif

Dude my credit is shot to death. My clearnce got approve. The only thing i put down was i deferred on my student loans. The catch is being honest.

You're a rare case then. Either that or your credit isn't as "shot to death" as you're putting it. 

Back
Top Bottom