huggy lowdown is on tom joyner? somebody give me a late pass

i rarely listen to the radio. the exception being huggy lowdown on the tired @ss donnie simpson show in the morning. however, for the past year or so, i've been going to work one hour later, allowing me to sleep in an hour later, therefore, causing me to miss huggy lowdown.

so, my girl and i were on our way to the movies this past weekend. she turns on 102.3 (i think that's the station) and there's an advertisement for huggy on the tom joyner morning show. i was like, "what tha ---?!? when did that happen???"

definitely a smart move from a business perspective. tom's syndicated and what not. huge move! however, what i liked about huggy is that he told jokes that only a DC resident would get. dumb stuff like "donnie, i'm standing outside of the MADNESS shop on georgia ave, in the middle of a rainstorm, wearing my terry cloth rain coat!" stuff like that had me :rofl:
roll.gif
!

so, was there beef with his departure? is he as funny as he was on donnie's show (i know "funny" is relative to the individual, but you know what i'm saying)? are his jokes sort of nationwide now, or does he still tell "DC jokes?" does the donnie simpson show suck even more now that huggy's gone? donnie simpson has to be the corniest morning host in radio history. in fact, as much as i despise elliott in the morning (DC101) i would probably listen to him over donnie.

clue this old man in please.....
SUPREME BOX CAPS, SWEATSHIRT AND UNDEFEATED T-SHIRTS FOR SALE

He's still corny....no matter what show he's on. I'll admit, here and there...I chuckle...but not generally.
Sig check...
EVERYDAY PPLE
IN EVERYDAY WE TRUST
www.everydaypple.com
LIKE. OR LOVE.

I usually listen to the Junkies or Mike & Mike on my morning commute....I can't stand to listen to Donnie Simpson banter on about his golf game or American Idol. He'd prolly have to leave under his own terms because of the headlock he has WPGC & the DC urea in....he can do what he wants....

Somebody told me was trying to renegiotate his contract and they were not meeting his expectation. Donnie really wanted him to stay but the powers that be were not trying to give up that cheese. Therefore Donnie give Huggy has blessing to move on to bigger and better things. All hearsay.
STOCKS & BONDS
TEES COMING SOON

I miss listenin to the Junks....

I REALLY miss bangin a few of the Junkettes...
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++​
Gratuitus For Sale Plug: DS & VNDS Size 10.5 & 11XII's XIII's V's XIX XIX SEs 2K3s 2K4s VC's​

"S.Faith,"

Huggy is getting his dow, with now a national audience. And he hasn't sacraficed much, but his stage name @ 95.5.

He still uses DC slang to the fullest. He got on Da Brat and Coolio this morning. Funny stuff.

Dream Team of MD/DC/VA - We are RESPECTED for a reason...
'TeePeso,' 'Destination Kicks,' DCShoeDon,' 'JaywhYeNeX,' 'Importking,' 'DCshoechick,' 'Scott Scotch,' 'rudolph1996,' '7hillz,' 'MyTSharp'​

Quote:
an opinion can't be stated? he sucks, plain and simple. however it's not a 'fact'. just one man's opinion (mine) and i stand behind it. i don't care if i'm the minority on this.

Team
DC/MD/VA
Cough up a lung..Where Im From!!
O.G. Member #5​

i chose not to expand upon my opinion of d.s. because this was a thread about huggy. however, since you choose to concentrate on that one part,i'll explain. again, this is MY opinion.

donnie needs to figure out who his target demographic is. is it the youth? it can't be when, in his 'hip voice' he uses tired cliches such as 'you go girl,' 'you so crazy,' and 'word up, my brother.' hence, why i said he's corny. he tries to appeal to the youth by playing pre-selected, standard, top 40 rap tunes and stating 'that's my jam.' donnie, spends countless minutes talking about ridiculous reality t.v. shows, when, again in my opinion, he could be focusing on other topics to appeal to the youth.

is his target demographic buppies (black urban professionals)? could be, especially when he'll, in the same show, go into a diatribe about how out of touch he is with today's youth, crack some lame joke about his son, d.j., and then talk about his golf game or how his wife is making him re-caulk their bathtub or something or other.

you see, donnie's show, in my opinion, has no focus, is boring and makes a futile attempt to appeal to everyone. chris paul, donnie's 'sidekick,' however, is a million times more witty, charasmatic, and maintains the ability to appeal to a broader audience. chris consistently steps up to the late when donnie's on vacation. i would cringe when donnie would call in from his vacation spot to inject his dry humor into chris' otherwise brilliant running of the morning show.

i'd really like to know who donnie's real audience is. i've never met anyone, besides yourself, that actually likes him. i think his days on the radio should come to a close. that could be why he's grooming his son d.j. as a morning show host.

i hope that more in depth response gives you some insight as to why i think donnie's a terrible morning show host. now, can we get back to my questions about huggy lowdown, the former highlight of the donnie simpson morning show?
SUPREME BOX CAPS, SWEATSHIRT AND UNDEFEATED T-SHIRTS FOR SALE

Quote:
donnie needs to figure out who his target demographic is. is it the youth? it can't be when, in his 'hip voice' he uses tired cliches such as 'you go girl,' 'you so crazy,' and 'word up, my brother.' hence, why i said he's corny.

Donnie already knows who his target market is, the majority of people that Donnie attracts and listens to his show happen to be of the older generation. Mostly because those same individuals have been following Donnie since his earlier days on BET. I happen to be of the younger demographic, but Donnie comes off as "not to forced" to me and just runs his show the way he likes in and out of segments. He's not screaming and hollering all over the mic like some of these over show hosts, real smooth. Of course some of the music on his show is going to appeal to some of the youngins only because of the station he works for, but that's to be expected. He not in charge of the music and really doesn't have that must of a sayso in the matter cause its already programmed by the station manager.

Quote:
chris paul, donnie's 'sidekick,' however, is a million times more witty, charasmatic, and maintains the ability to appeal to a broader audience. chris consistently steps up to the late when donnie's on vacation.

You like Chris Paul?? Man, more power to you then, if anything they need to dump Chris Paul, with his garbage ******** songs and wack jokes, I'm surprised he has even lasted this long. That's why I didn't even notice huggy lowdown being gone, I hardly ever cared for his skits, with his constant whining of "Donnie.........Donnie.....bruh", real corny to me.

Quote:
i'd really like to know who donnie's real audience is. i've never met anyone, besides yourself, that actually likes him. i think his days on the radio should come to a close.

Team
DC/MD/VA
Cough up a lung..Where Im From!!
O.G. Member #5​

Yeah Huggy did move on over to the Tom Joyner, from the times that I did hear him he still talks about some local DC spots. Chris Paul came up with the whole character and wrote all of the material that was used on the show. So really Chris Paul is still getting paid too, off the "Celebrity Snitch" formerly known as "Huggy Lowdown". Donnie is definitely fading on the morning show gig, but I cant stand to listen to the Steve Harvey morning show either............
"I make this look good, you wasn't rocking it right!"
"They say its easier to find Bin Laden than the Mikes that I got on!"

Donnie S. is wack, matter fact huggy and C.Ps songs were the only thing about that crappy morning show i liked.....Now the kane show when they do war of theroses that is funny......Im not lame enuf to like donnie in the morning u gotta get up......Rip david hanes

Back
Top Bottom