Human resources background check on education

Hey does anyone work in human resources that could tell me what they do for a background check? My close friend wants to know if human resources will do a background check on his education/degree. Excluding jobs like engineer,doctor lawyer obviously, does HR check your background and how do they do it? Lets say its a job that requires an undergrad or a two year course at a community college. Do they need to see a physical diploma or do they run it into a computer database that displays your educational background. He lives in Canada btw. 

laugh.gif

didn't somebody say they lied about having a degree on their resume in the unemployment thread? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

didn't somebody say they lied about having a degree on their resume in the unemployment thread? 
laugh.gif

this
laugh.gif

It all depends what kind of job you are going for.

Government positions do extensive background searches through the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and their security ivestigators.

Most private sector places use third party companies to check backgrounds like Firstpoint and such.  They are mailed a copy of your criminal/driving record, your residences, and educational history as well. 

Originally Posted by JesusShuttlesworth34

It all depends what kind of job you are going for.

Government positions do extensive background searches through the Office of Personnel Management (OPM) and their security ivestigators.

Most private sector places use third party companies to check backgrounds like Firstpoint and such.  They are mailed a copy of your criminal/driving record, your residences, and educational history as well. 
Not government more along the lines of lets say a car dealership or car rental place etc if you get my drift.

You hear of people getting fake diplomas and playing doctor. Now while this is the extreme end of lying, they still get away with it and they're dealing with peoples lives. He wants something less. Question is how r these fellas getting away with being a doctor through a check? must mean that for a lower job you can definately get away with it.

usually companies hire a 3rd party to perform a background check. In regards to education verification, every accredited school has an automated system where companies can check your degree by your SSN.

It depends on the company and the position your applying for. One company I worked for we just did reference checks, and got people to sign background check authorization forms. If it was an entry level position, we never actually did the background check. My current company we just ask for transcripts of your college course work.

Originally Posted by ridingonlorenzos

Hey does anyone work in human resources that could tell me what they do for a background check? My close friend wants to know if human resources will do a background check on his education/degree. Excluding jobs like engineer,doctor lawyer obviously, does HR check your background and how do they do it? Lets say its a job that requires an undergrad or a two year course at a community college. Do they need to see a physical diploma or do they run it into a computer database that displays your educational background. He lives in Canada btw. 
Not sure about Canadian laws, but I suspect the whole purpose is to see if you can LIE LOLZ. JK.

Don't lie, because it will just tumble itself and create a downward spiral for yourself.  Companies have the resources and will do checks.  I've never had to show my physical diploma.

Man just keep it real. You don't want to be caught in one of those awkward moments when they find out you lieing

Three things. Depends on the industry the job is in, the qualifications required for it, and the actual company. Some companies like the one I work for ensures that before stepping foot into the building of employment we have three reference checks done, copies of transcripts and a copy of their security/criminal check. For higher level positions, some sort of documented confirmation from the candidate is usually needed.

Thing is, for your situation I dont think many car dealerships would go that far into detail. There is a possibility that they will ask for documentation of classes youve completed, but to see an actual diploma might be a stretch. My guess would be that its not involved, but never say never.

In Canada here though I dont know many companies that go directly to the education institution to confirm degree/diploma confirmation. But who knows, maybe I could be wayyyyyy out of it.

Originally Posted by Lalph Rauren

smhhh i was wondering if you lie to land an internship has anyone tried this?

If you're a college junior, a lot of firms will take their summer interns and offer full-time employment upon a successful stint. It just seems like you're asking for more trouble down the road if you end up with an offer.

Related story with much more at stake of course...
http://www.reuters.com/ar...nt-idUSBRE8421CG20120503

any one know about warrants or suspended licenses?

i got a ticket a couple years ago... it turned into a warrant...

now i dont know if i should say something when they ask on this background check or just let it ride...

Originally Posted by SCtrojan

Originally Posted by Lalph Rauren

smhhh i was wondering if you lie to land an internship has anyone tried this?

If you're a college junior, a lot of firms will take their summer interns and offer full-time employment upon a successful stint. It just seems like you're asking for more trouble down the road if you end up with an offer.

Related story with much more at stake of course...
http://www.reuters.com/ar...nt-idUSBRE8421CG20120503
Not about my education nor GPA, but I did put down a position I didn't have within an organization I worked for.

Back
Top Bottom