HURRY UP AND BUY! ...the thread about stereotypes and preconceived notions...

I assume anyone that sags (to the point where their pants are almost below their knees) or dresses in a certain way is up to no good. *kanye shrug*

Profiling, stereotypes, and preconceived notions are a way of life.... we all do it. My question to NT is what assumptions do you make about people you don't know... whether it be in regards to the opposite sex, people of different races/religions, the region a person is from, etc etc....

Please, let's try to have a mature conversation. The thread is not intended to offend anyone or single out particular groups of people. Again, we ALL deal with this in our daily lives and I think it'll be interesting to see which things are universally accepted and which aren't...

examples....

- How do you feel about 'stop and frisk'?

- Do you assume people with tattoos have no chance in corporate America? Would you hire them?

- Does a person's choice of clothing speak reason enough to treat them a certain way?

- Are all women the same -- birds of a feather and not to be trusted?

- Do New Yorkers act like they're superior to other regions?

- Are southerners slow?

Again, we can have a discussion and not be disrespectful to others.
Sure, I'll go.

1) The 4th Amendment.

2) It depends on where and what kind. Anything you can't see with a shirt obviously doesn't matter, visible ones can lessen your chances depending on who's interviewing you. Obviously, you're not gonna get that paid Apple internship with a weed leaf tatted on your neck.

3) As long as your clothes are clean, in decent repair, covering all the appropriate areas and not patently ridiculous (jean-print leggings with pictures of pockets, shirts with spiked shoulders, a cape, jean shorts and Timbs, etc.) it doesn't really matter to me. For the most part, I don't believe in the validity of status costumes.

EDIT: Indeed, uniforms are uniforms, including that of a comfort girl.

4) All women are not the same, but a lot of them remind me of each other. Very few can be truly trusted. That's people in general tho.

5) Yes they do. I went to Morgan for my year of college and New Yorkers were some of the most annoying people there, constantly talking about how great everything was and how there were candy coated raindrops and ****. I oft wondered why the **** they would ever leave the holy city and move to lowly Baltimore on purpose, but I digress.

6) Southerners definitely move at a slower pace than East Coast folk. It's a cultural thing.

Last edited:
The bait is strong in this one.....NT monthly decoy account for population control.

Regarding the tattoos, if I was a hiring manager in the corporate world, if a tattoo is visible then no I would probably not hire them unless the next best is significantly worse. J have nothing against tattoos but if a client comes in it might not be a good idea to have tats showing
what field are you in?

one of our directors has two full sleeves, wears Jordans, and a backwards hat daily....

he's a white male in his late 40's to early 50's i'm guessing....

i think as seen in the last two election, we're shifting into a more open-minded attitude on a lot of things...

As a New Yorker I do feel that many of us (can't exclude myself from this one) for a multitude of reasons feel we are superior.

And yes, I would say in the NYC area there is a prevalent stereotype that southerners are slow and/or backward (especially when it comes to political choices and social issues).

Not saying it's right, just saying what is.
reason like?

via the internet, it always seems like NY'ers want to take credit for every trend known to man....  and being more "street smart" than the next region. i get that NY is one of the most populated areas in the country, but so is Los Angeles and all they seem to take credit for is weed and gangs...
Reasons like:

Large amount of diversity

Capital of the world

"You can make it here, you can make it anywhere" mentality

NY Yankees (if you're into baseball)

The fact it's the place they were born

Wealth of the city

Opportunity

...these are the ones that came to mind

The bait is strong in this one.....NT monthly decoy account for population control.
I haven't been around that long to know what that means...

.... I reiterated the disclaimer to try to keep it civil and not say some wild **** like "**** those ******** always taking down my property value"

What do you hope to gain by this thread? You're asking us to post what stereotypes we have about other people

Last edited:
Reasons like:

Large amount of diversity

Capital of the world

"You can make it here, you can make it anywhere" mentality

NY Yankees (if you're into baseball)

The fact it's the place they were born

Wealth of the city

Opportunity

...these are the ones that came to mind
IMO, most of the same could be said for Boston, Chicago, and Los Angeles but I've never heard anyone reply "I'm from LA..." to validate their opinion on something lol...

when it comes to fashion, NY is the self-titled champion but i think SF is heavily underrated...

What do you hope to gain by this thread? You're asking us to post what stereotypes we have about other people
what was the point of the Draya thread or the tread about Lil Wayne standing on the American flag?

im not asking to simply post stereotypes, but discuss assumptions that seem to be universally accepted and why ppl feel they're valid

Not sure why but I assume almost all gay people are good with money. I've yet to meet a gay person who was broke. they always seem to have this **** in order. :lol:

Back
Top Bottom