Hypothetically Speaking, If Dumars Drafted Melo What Would Detroit Have Done?

Had a discussion with someone on this subject. Just interested in seeing what others have to say about it

Had a discussion with someone on this subject. Just interested in seeing what others have to say about it

He wouldn't have played. I don't think Larry Brown would've even played LeBron if they had the number 1 pick.

it could have stunted his growth. LB doesnt like to play rookies and melo might not have had the freedom as he did in denver.

i dont see how every nter saw melo's potential and star power and detriot didnt, one of the worst picks in history

Originally Posted by zichardruniga

i dont see how every nter saw melo's potential and star power and detriot didnt, one of the worst picks in history
the kid had just gotten's Boheim his first chip

I was @ the draft like u can't be serious ...

I don't believe that the Pistons would've won the 03-04 championship, because Melo couldn't do this:

040524_millerPrince_vmed_9p.widec.jpg

The 03-04 were about ultimate team chemistry, the closest team in the history of the league where you can say that every member of the starting 5 had an equal share in the winning of the championship. Not equal, but closer to equal than any starting 5 of any championship team ever. I think that Melo would've disrupted this chemistry.

I do believe that they could've won the 04-05 championship, when they lost to the Spurs in 7. They needed an individual to step up and no one showed up offensively for the Pistons in game 7. Melo could've been that guy. I also believe that they could've won the 05-06 championship with Melo as well. After that, it's anyone's guess. The Wallaces got old, or at least stopped being as productive and their interior defense was the key to the 04 championship and the deep finals run in 05. Melo wouldn't have been enough of a difference maker to keep the Pistons contenders with the decline of the Wallaces. But maybe some good free agents would've found the Pistons more lucrative after 2006 with Melo on the team and they could've built another contender team. But that's speculation.

Originally Posted by zichardruniga

Oh come on, like NT patented the idea of drafting Melo at #2. It was general hype.

It was also general hype that Marvin Williams should be drafted ahead of Chris Paul and Deron Williams, not to mention Danny Granger and David Lee. But if Atlanta decided to draft Granger or Lee instead of Marvin Williams that draft night, I wonder what these NTers would've reacted.

Some picks are steals, others are horrible. This was a horrible pick, but stop acting like you were dead certain that this would be a horrible pick right on the draft night. Darko had crazy hype back then, it's just that everyone forgot how much hype he got since he became a bench warmer right from the start and never really changed that status that much. But Darko had hype, and various sports site draft predictions were arguing whether he should be taken over Melo at #2, so it's not like noone else in the world thought of picking Darko over Melo. But in the end, the Pistons were the ones who had to make a decision, they made it and blew it.

Despite this, Joe D. is still a genius for trading Brickhouse for Hamilton, getting Billiups, getting a great steal in Prince as the 20 something pick in the 2002 draft, and getting Rasheed. Not to mention knowing that the only Piston worth keeping from those horrible post Grant Hill era 2000-01 Pistons was Ben Wallace. The man built a championship team pretty FROM SCRATCH in a span of 3 seasons. That's a way greater accomplishment than picking Darko at #2 is a blunder.

Darko had incredible hype back then. He was getting compared to a big, tough KG-Dirk hybrid. Kiki Vandeweghe (Nuggets GM at the time) even said if he had the #2, he would've taken Darko over Melo too.

They most likely wouldnt of got Sheed and won it.  You can think what ifs all you want but I will take the title.

On another note, Chauncey, Rip, and Melo could be 65 points a game.

The best part about getting Melo would be we would have never got Stuckey

maybe the Lakers wouldve won it in 2004 
mad.gif

ohwell.gif

anyways i think brown wouldve killed his confidence but motown was already a championship built team they had chemistry...the question is what if darko was never drafted by detroit and grown somewhere else?
nerd.gif

Detroit just didn't want to mess up their chemistry. We all know Brown doesn't like to play the rookies so Melo would probably not have got any PT... which would've stunted his growth in the league. Plus, they were set at SF with Prince at the time... again, team chemitry. They had their pieces in place. What I have the issue with though, is that they drafted a PF, why not go with Bosh at that point. He would've obviously turned out better in the long run. Thing is though, you can't predict that. Looking back, it just turned out to be a bad choice taking Darko.

Originally Posted by I NaSmatic I

Darko had incredible hype back then. He was getting compared to a big, tough KG-Dirk hybrid. Kiki Vandeweghe (Nuggets GM at the time) even said if he had the #2, he would've taken Darko over Melo too.
laugh.gif
 Whats that say about Kiki's dumb-*%# tho? 

This draft it wasn't anyones fault, you gotta remember, this is draft and it couldve gone ANY way...

lets say nuggets want melo so bad, they trade DET to jump over them? and melo becomes a bust in the L. Darko goes on top become a top 10 player? then what.....

at the draft and at that point and time it was thought that you couldn't go wrong either way, you had melo or darko...... you couldnt take melo cause you had prince, and big men usally take longer to come along, so you take Darko and let him learn on the bench and he develops, you gotta remember DET has had success with Okur and they figured the same would happen.....

just a bad break, its the Draft, it happens

Back
Top Bottom