I’m starting to see why GM cars get the bad reputation that it gets.....

I like Toyota but their line up is super lack luster right now. tacoma has a turd for an engine and is a gas guzzler, they need a diesel option.

4runner has the good old engine but its still not great and I just don't like the current 4runner.

even if they brought the hillux here I'd be happy. I drive a lot and in 2021 I can't be getting 17mpg. give me a diesel.
Toyota likes to play it safe. They know their cars sell because of the reputation for being reliable.

The Korean companies know they don't have that so they usually take risks when it comes to design and they give you more tech features for less money

Toyota likes to play it safe. They know their cars sell because of the reputation for being reliable.

The Korean companies know they don't have that so they usually take risks when it comes to design and they give you more tech features for less money

yeah that’s their whole philosophy.

I mean I get it, I just wish we had some of their trucks here from other markets. I like everything about the Tacoma but the engine. If I could get a hilux I’d buy it new and it would probably be with me for 25 years.

Why is that?

In LA, rented a few cars. Had a Model X for a few days, a 430 GC, a Camry and eventually a Nissan Kicks. Kept downgrading as I wanted to spend less and less :lol:

Also was driving a 2020 Jeep Compass for a bit and by far it was the worst driving one. Felt super floaty on the highway, had to drive 2 handed for me to feel secure. The Kicks had absolutely no power but it was nice to whip around, actually enjoyed how it drove considering what it is. Wonder if its a Jeep thing, drove a Wrangler before and it just felt like a boat, never took it on the highway but I wonder if its also floaty feeling.

I remember flooring it just to get up to 30 mph, with the 2 lanes highway in Cancun and the need to pass trucks it was vastly underpowered. Loud road noise made the build quality feel like an unsafe vehicle to drive late at night in Mexico.

Last edited:
I like Toyota but their line up is super lack luster right now. tacoma has a turd for an engine and is a gas guzzler, they need a diesel option.

4runner has the good old engine but its still not great and I just don't like the current 4runner.

even if they brought the hillux here I'd be happy. I drive a lot and in 2021 I can't be getting 17mpg. give me a diesel.
Yeah Toyota’s are just boring. No reason to buy one besides for reliability iMO (exception being 4Runner or taco since the actually serve a purpose, even tho 99% don’t use them for that purpose).

New Toyota Land Cruiser Debuts with 409-HP 3.5L Twin-Turbo V-6
The new 300-series SUV is enticing but won't be making its way to the U.S. market in this form. We may get a version as the next Lexus LX.

toyota-land-cruiser-300-lineup-1623260206.jpg

toyota-land-cruiser-300-interior-1623260203.jpg

Big facts. Got a 2005 Corolla with 260K miles. It's now my beater. Thing is bulletproof and the AC is still ice cold.
A relative sold me one as a beater for like $1000. I drove it for about 2 years. The clicks stopped counting after 300,000km. I found a maintenance slip in it one day that said like 450,000 km. I sold it for $2000.

Older brother is giving me his old 2008 Chevy Impala as a gift. Not sure if anything is wrong with it, but can't be a free car.

Got to get the inspection taken care of and the title transfer before I can start driving it, but I'm excited.

I've only owned Ifninti's, and they have been absolutely amazing to me. Going to be hard but most likely my next car will be a Tesla :pimp:

Took it back and they finally noticed that it was indeed the AC evaporator and the AC compressor went out at just 31k miles on a 3 year old car..

So, now my car has been at the shop for almost a week now. If it wasn’t fir my extended warranty, it was going to cost me $3k-$4k to get both of those fixed since they have to take out my whole dashboard to get to my AC evaporator and I believe they would have take out the bumper to get to the AC compressor.

A fool and his money.

Thank Satan I'm mechanically inclined and enjoy working on cars.

So i’m actually a Chrysler/Dodge technician and I can tell you guys for a fact… Anything American between at least 2010-2018 is garbage.. Like almost all of it. Chryslers are pretty f***ing bad, but GMs are probably even worse. Ford is right there with em.

It really sucks because I love Chryslers vehicles too, but they are finicky and if you don’t keep up with maintenance and repairs they will start failing after 4-5 years. A little maintenance on a Dodge goes a LONG way. Change all of your fluids at the owners manual intervals. Find a good dealership or repair facility for when things do inevitably need fixed.

The difference between a good and bad repair facility cannot be understated. A bad mechanic who doesn’t know how to properly diagnose something can cost you literal thousands of dollars by repairing the wrong thing, or screwing up something in the repair process. I see it EVERY WEEK at work, someone brings a car in that has been repaired at another facility, spent way too much money fixing it, only to have it still not repaired and the shop won’t refund them. These new cars are so complicated that most people who fixed cars 10-20 years ago, are no longer intelligent enough to do the job. That’s the sad truth. That nice old guy whose been fixing cars for 40 years and seems honest? Ya, he probably doesn’t know jack s*** about modern electrical systems and isn’t qualified to do much beyond changing brakes and tires. Sad reality of it.

If you want something reliable Toyota and Honda are the way to go unfortunately.. It’s really not even close..

Also don’t buy any GM vehicles with a 3.6 V6 or an Ecotec 4 cylinder, total garbage. Honestly the mid to late 2010s GM vehicles are probably the most failure prone vehicles i’ve ever seen, soooo many failed engines and timing chains it’s just ridiculous. My uncles wife drives a 2016 Traverse and just had to put an engine in it with 110,000 miles, cost like $4000.. And that is by no means uncommon at all, I’ve seen it a hundred times. Most of the GM products that are 4-5 years old that we take in on trade have issues, many of them serious issues like timing chains rattling, failed turbochargers, leaks, transmission problems etc…

No matter what you drive, USE SYNTHETIC OIL AND DO NOT GO OVER THE SERVICE INTERVAL.. It is the single easiest way to increase your engines operating life. Especially on certain GM engines, if you don’t keep up with the oil changes they will fail prematurely.

REPEAT: USE SYNTHETIC OIL AND HAVE IT CHANGED WHEN THE DASH TELLS YOU TO!!!!

If you want something reliable Toyota and Honda are the way to go unfortunately.. It’s really not even close..

Also don’t buy any GM vehicles with a 3.6 V6 or an Ecotec 4 cylinder, total garbage. Honestly the mid to late 2010s GM vehicles are probably the most failure prone vehicles i’ve ever seen, soooo many failed engines and timing chains it’s just ridiculous. My uncles wife drives a 2016 Traverse and just had to put an engine in it with 110,000 miles, cost like $4000.. And that is by no means uncommon at all, I’ve seen it a hundred times. Most of the GM products that are 4-5 years old that we take in on trade have issues, many of them serious issues like timing chains rattling, failed turbochargers, leaks, transmission problems etc…

No matter what you drive, USE SYNTHETIC OIL AND DO NOT GO OVER THE SERVICE INTERVAL.. It is the single easiest way to increase your engines operating life. Especially on certain GM engines, if you don’t keep up with the oil changes they will fail prematurely.

preciate you for the insight. I tell people all the time, my biggest regret is not getting into cars and learning about them. Thats an amazing skill/trade to possess. Cuz I be at these mechanics mercy....:smh:

What is your take on Nissan? Reliable/good?

I change my oil way before the car tells me too. Every 3k miles like clockwork.

Grew up in Michigan where most my fam worked for the big 3/4 and have youthful fondness of American cars. With that said, anything from ford, Chrysler, GM, Cadillac, etc made 2000 and after are pure crap. The only exception is the truck divisions and maybe Buick.

I always compare a 15 year old Toyota, Honda, etc.. to their American counterparts while on the road and it’s a night and day difference how they look and perform.

American automakers are literally the section 8, subprime, welfare option of the auto industry and it’s sad. Greed won.

Back
Top Bottom