I am taking the plunge into the new gaming systems, I need (PS3) help though....

Well, it is time for me to finally get a new system. I know a few people that have 360's, but I want to get a blu-ray, I have always liked my playstationsin the past, so I figured I would get a PS3. The problem is, I am reading up on the "new" 80GB that is sold, and it doesn't look nearly ascomplete as the 60GB that used to be sold. No backwards compatibility, less USB ports, etc. Should I go to ebay and other places and get a 60GB? Should Ijust deal with it an get the 80GB? Should I screw the PS3 and get a 360 and seperate blu-ray player? HELP NT?! Maybe I will end up continue playing my PS2and N64........
frown.gif

Oh, and Rockband 2 vs. GHWT? I was a huge Guitar Hero fan, but I love the Beatles and the fact they are going to Rockband really entices me....

One final thing, I could do a 40GB as well. I don't think I need a ton of space, the system will basically be used for movie watching, Rock Band, and thena few sports game and perhaps GTA

If you want and need the backwards compatibility, then shell out the money to get a 60gb. If you don't need it and only want it as a blue-ray player anddon't think your going to play the PS3 a lot then get a seperate blue-ray player. But i would get a 80gb since you already have a ps2 if you want to playps2 games

It also depends how you're going to watch the movies. If you download movies and transfer them then you would benefit from a larger hd. I would get the old80gb systems b/c those have a somewhat backwards compatibility without sacrificing alot of hd space.

or is it regular dvd quality?
nerd.gif
i'm clueless, and yes i know ps3 is ablueray player (obviously), but some more info on their movies would be appreciated

Do you really need backwards compatability? If so, are they mainstream games, or obscure ones?

And I would be shocked if you ever need more than 2 USB ports... I use 1 for my fan and 1 for a headset. Unplug your headset to charge controllers or insert aUSB drive.

Backwards compatability isn't that big of a deal. I still have my PS2, so really that isn't an issue..... I wasn't sure about the ports, but I justread some reviews complaining about them. I won't even use a headset (do I have to?), so I should have one open.....

with regards to the blu ray on the PS3, it will play regular DVDs, correct? I feel so dumb, I usually am pretty good and up to date with electronics, but thisis one area I have lacked

Originally Posted by dmxfury

Backwards compatability isn't that big of a deal. I still have my PS2, so really that isn't an issue..... I wasn't sure about the ports, but I just read some reviews complaining about them. I won't even use a headset (do I have to?), so I should have one open.....
I just personally prefer a USB headset over Bluetooth. And you don;t need a headset, but it helps communicate in online games, as well as in chator Home.

80's have some Backwards compatability, just not the 95% that 60's have.

it will play regular DVDs, correct?
Yup. I believe it upscales them as well. (makes them a bit clearer)... I could be wrong about that, though.

Originally Posted by dmxfury

with regards to the blu ray on the PS3, it will play regular DVDs, correct? I feel so dumb, I usually am pretty good and up to date with electronics, but this is one area I have lacked
Yeah it does play regular dvds, in fact I watch more regular dvds than blu-rays cause I have more dvds.

the PS3 is an upconverting DVD player, as well as a Blu-Ray player. (makes your 480p DVD's into 1080p)

in regards to the USB, the only time you'll need more than 2 is if you play Rock Band or Guitar Hero, but using a USB hub will solve that issue.

to the previous poster, the movies that you download from the Playstation store are HD movies.

Originally Posted by osubass1

the PS3 is an upconverting DVD player, as well as a Blu-Ray player. (makes your 480p DVD's into 1080p)

in regards to the USB, the only time you'll need more than 2 is if you play Rock Band or Guitar Hero, but using a USB hub will solve that issue.

to the previous poster, the movies that you download from the Playstation store are HD movies.
ok, cool ...thanks

say i download a blu ray rip from piratebay or from a torrent, and transfer them to my ps3 VIA a usb drive. would i be able to stream/watch them on my ps3?

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

say i download a blu ray rip from piratebay or from a torrent, and transfer them to my ps3 VIA a usb drive. would i be able to stream/watch them on my ps3?

You can't watch them directly as the PS3 doesn't support the .mkv container (which is what most blu-ray rips are). You have to convert them. Look upsome articles online.

60Gb is ur best value. U can always get a usb external for extra storage space. The 20gb sucks imo.

Another option is to stream them directly from you computer. You can use something like TVersity. It can transcode the video on the fly.

I have been a ps3 owner since Feb of this year, and for x'mas, decided to get an xbox 360. I can honestly say that I just may return it. Don't getme wrong but everything about it sucks.
-track record of crashes (with older consoles) is insane.
-you have to pay for every little thing. biggest thing is the dumb gold subscription..ps3 is free online play.
-no built in wifi, if you want wireless, shell out another 90 bucks for the wireless adapter.
-router issues- you have to open ports on the router you're using in order for the new xbox experience and downloads to work properly.
-you have to pay for every little thing, there is a "nominal fee" for every thing.
-wireless headset looks like it came out of an 80's cartoon.

i'll keep it for the sake of getting a good deal. 251.44 shipped from dell.

Go to SlickDeals.net for some good pricing/promotions for the PS3.

The PS3 DVD player is great, whether you're playing BR or reg DVDs. I LOVE the fact that the PS3(as is the 360 w/wifi) is able play movies that arewirelessly streamed from my Mac. Plus, since the files are encoded as h264, they look damn close to BR/HD.

Originally Posted by acp7399

I have been a ps3 owner since Feb of this year, and for x'mas, decided to get an xbox 360. I can honestly say that I just may return it. Don't get me wrong but everything about it sucks.
-track record of crashes (with older consoles) is insane.
-you have to pay for every little thing. biggest thing is the dumb gold subscription..ps3 is free online play.
-no built in wifi, if you want wireless, shell out another 90 bucks for the wireless adapter.
-router issues- you have to open ports on the router you're using in order for the new xbox experience and downloads to work properly.
-you have to pay for every little thing, there is a "nominal fee" for every thing.
-wireless headset looks like it came out of an 80's cartoon.

i'll keep it for the sake of getting a good deal. 251.44 shipped from dell.
so ps3 is better than x-box?
nerd.gif
i don't have eitherthat's why i'm asking

Originally Posted by TheTruthHurts74

The PS3 DVD player is great, whether you're playing BR or reg DVDs. I LOVE the fact that the PS3(as is the 360 w/wifi) is able play movies that are wirelessly streamed from my Mac. Plus, since the files are encoded as h264, they look damn close to BR/HD.
how do u do that?

Originally Posted by aubstuh86

Originally Posted by TheTruthHurts74

The PS3 DVD player is great, whether you're playing BR or reg DVDs. I LOVE the fact that the PS3(as is the 360 w/wifi) is able play movies that are wirelessly streamed from my Mac. Plus, since the files are encoded as h264, they look damn close to BR/HD.
how do u do that?
nerd.gif
I'd like to know the same thing. I wanna stream moviesin 1080p to my 360 from my mac

I didn't think about the wireless. I have wireless here at the house. Huge for Sony there.....

Back
Top Bottom