I Been duped. Say What! FDA reviewing whether anti-bacterial soap is safe

superb

Banned
WASHINGTON (AP) — Federal health regulators are taking a look at the germ-killing ingredient that's found in an estimated 75 percent of anti-bacterial liquid soaps and body washes sold in the U.S.

The Food and Drug Administration wants to determine whether triclosan (TRY'-kloh-san) is safe and effective. The FDA's findings could have implications for a $1 billion industry that includes hundreds of anti-bacterial products from toothpaste to toys.

The review comes amid growing pressure from lawmakers, consumer advocates and others who are concerned about the safety of the chemical, which has been in U.S. households for more than 40 years. Recent studies have led scientists to worry that triclosan could increase the risk of infertility, early puberty and other hormone-related problems in humans.

Many chemicals used in everyday household products have never been formally approved by U.S. health regulators. That's because many germ-killing chemicals were developed decades ago before there were laws requiring scientific review of cleaning ingredients.

The FDA plans to deliver its findings this year.

This Tuesday, April 30, 2013, photo, shows Dawn Ultra antibacterial soap in a kitchen Tuesday in Chicago. Federal health regulators are deciding whether triclosan, the germ-killing ingredient found in an estimated 75 percent of anti-bacterial liquid soaps and body washes sold in the U.S. is harmful. The ruling, which will determine whether triclosan continues to be used in household cleaners, could have broader implications for a $1 billion industry that includes hundreds of anti-bacterial products from toothpaste to toys

man whatever happened to Laissez-faire in this country?

I'm actually glad the govt chooses to interfere in such matters. Big govt FTW. Big brother is always watching.

I certainly don't want government involved in all aspects of my life, but I am all for this. Anitbacterial soaps are not safe IMO as they help to create super bugs. Luckily for me, I knew a long time ago to avoid the antibacterial craze.

Maybe I'm not understanding the first 2 replies, but would you guys like CFCs or leaded paint to still be used? Am I misunderstanding you guys?

man whatever happened to Laissez-faire in this country?
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

Back
Top Bottom