I can't swim vol. Never had a pool

truth-serum

Banned
:lol: So how hard will it be to learn how to swim as an adult? In my mid 20s btw. I'm not afraid of being submerged in water. Been taking lessons but I get tired quick cuz I dont kick from the hips. What suggestions would you guys give for a guy learning how to swim and realistically how long will it take me to learn how to swim? Tryna learn before summer is over

Last edited:
First things first, step your hip game up. bad form will have you catch a cramp in the water and that won't end well. Learn how to tread water first, then lay flat on your back to float. Have someone in the pool with you too so they have your back.

I learned in less than one semester in 7th grade during middle school swim class. Felt like I was learning late even back then.

It's like riding a bike, when you get you get it and you never forget.

Edit: And stop wasting your money on lessons.

Last edited:
your mind will be your biggest enemy when it comes to learning..

you have to learn how to relax.. I swam competitively growing up and through high school.. a lot like running track.. you have to be able to relax, limit useless/hindering movements and think efficiency.. then you can use tempo 

watch this video.. you want to be nice and easy.. relax.. and dont fight against yourself.. it will take time to build up the comfort.. but this is what you're going for:

here is another video.. just notice the limited body movement.. everything is aligned.. head remains still (other than when breathing).. and you rotate your shoulders and body with every stroke reducing drag while your non-pulling hand is in the recovery phase.. and constant continuous easy kick:

Last edited:
are we talking micheal phelps-style swimming or treading water ? i can tread water all day (well for a few mins) but my swimming game is awful...

i can get from one side of the pool to the other but it won't look good

Reactions: Ube
You know how i learned? By drowning. I saved my own life when i was a kid, and now i can doggy paddle.

R.I.P. OP

Nah but seriously, it shouldnt be that hard to learn as an adult as long as you are not afraid of the water and have decent coordination.

But what if Oh Pee doesn't know how to ride a bike?
Then...
RsFoDxa.gif

It boggles my mind that an adult man doesn't know how to swim.

Swimming is a mandatory class in all elementary schools here and in highschool as well.

It'll probably take you a while to learn as an adult but like someone else said once you can do it you never forget.

Try to float first (lie on your back in the water) and then you can start working on the various swimming techniques.

Standard swimming is a very simple technique once you get it down, you just have to stay relaxed and coordinated.

Once you get your floating down you've already made a major step. Then just practice the techniques and you'll be good.

You should definitely be able to swim decently within a few weeks I think.

Swimming is a very healthy form of exercise as well so it's very much worth learning.

Last edited:
U got that melanin in u huh OP? :lol: But forreal, I'm the same way, 2 or 3 kicks and I'm exhausted. I can't float to save my life either.

How else can I learn without lessons?

Repped for the vids :smokin
your mind will be your biggest enemy when it comes to learning..

you have to learn how to relax.. I swam competitively growing up and through high school.. a lot like running track.. you have to be able to relax, limit useless/hindering movements and think efficiency.. then you can use tempo 

watch this video.. you want to be nice and easy.. relax.. and dont fight against yourself.. it will take time to build up the comfort.. but this is what you're going for:

here is another video.. just notice the limited body movement.. everything is aligned.. head remains still (other than when breathing).. and you rotate your shoulders and body with every stroke reducing drag while your non-pulling hand is in the recovery phase.. and constant continuous easy kick:

Learn how to float first. Lying on your back and just staying still.

Once you master floating than start floating the other way on your stomach with your head in the water. Do this for a good hour and be comfortable holding and blowing out your breathe underwater, putting your head up, take a deep breathe and repeat. Then after being comfortable start learning the doggy paddle and you're on your way.

Last piece of advice... RELAX. If your body is tense, it will weigh you down.

Last edited:
It's ok opie, I dun know how to swam either. No pools in da hood = no swimming lessons.

My grandmother's place has a pool. Is it possible to learn how to swim by watching YouTube videos? There was that one NTr that learned how to ride a motorcycle through YouTube so swimming should be easier, right?

I don't get how someone can't swim. IMO it's like not being able to run, like wtf?
Look children, here we have a perfect example of a false equivalency. Please, no pictures.
How else can I learn without lessons?

By teaching yourself? It's what I did. Different swimming techniques someone can teach.

However, the feel for swimming can't be taught, no matter how much money you pay. It's a waste of money.

I taught my self. Honestly swimming is common sense. The only people I have seen struggle are the ones that are scared. Just relax and know your body is full of air so you don't need to exert yourself

I started swimming when I was 8 and swam competitively for 10 years.

1.) Relax. Calm down. Water doesn't work against you in a pool.

2.) Learn how to tread water first.

3.) You can really learn all the 4 strokes through YouTube videos. I recommend starting with freestyle, then back, breast, and finally fly.

4.) Do not doggie paddle. It actually makes you more tired.

Last edited:
I'm 29
Just learned how the swim like 5 years ago
The trick is just to keep trying when u think ur sinking

Also don't get too concerned with learning to float first or tread water or whatever. I can't float at all but I can swim and tread water. I know people who can float and swim but can't tread water (makes no sense to me). Just keep practicing. And relax. Once you stop worrying about sinking, you'll swim. That's all it really boils down to.

Back
Top Bottom