I got it ... Corporate #@$^%

DAMBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB

78k is avg. and i see 94k too..... sheeshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What did you major in Ricky?

Pics of Ricky?
Need to see how hood you really are.

I'm happy for you bro, really I am. I see you stay spreading knowledge in TAY for some of these kids.

I will say this though... I'm not entirely happy about the message.
There's a lot of area between keeping it trill and being a cornball brotha.
It's never one or the other.

While I still blame you personally for yambs sweeping through Niketalk like a plague (and I think I turned off my computer when I first saw "mombs" :lol:), congratulations on your job and future success.

Enjoy it right now and I'm sure you'll continue to work hard and do better.

I've worked corporate for the last 5 years and this world is faker than ever. Not knocking how you got the job but I know so many people that got jobs for the dumbest reason. I know a guy that was an english major and became an underwriter all based on the fact that his brother is a top broker and they figure that relationship could spawn business. I know a girl that got hired soley cause the manager thought she'd work well with the other employee that seems to have an asian fetish. And yes, the dumb blonde with fake boobs always can get hired just cause.....they are blonde wth fake boobs.

Anyways.....I am sure you got hired for all the right reason but honestly getting into corporate life is not that hard. But don't think this is the end of your troubles cause corporate jobs can be the most political crap ever whether dealing with promotions, raises, getting respect like the next guy.

This thread makes me wanna get close my NT account, get out in the world and sign up for Everest classes. Get a major in art and do something with my life. Thank OP. You changed me life.

I'll be completing my BS degree in accounting in December and going back to get my masters so I can become a CPA. Stories like this make me wanna strive in harder man congrats :smokin

Good post. I think it's important to recognize that you can achieve success in the corporate world without sacrificing your true personality. That said, you have to be socially astute enough to understand when you need to tone down your personality and when to let it shine through.

Not being a black man, it's probably more difficult for me to comment on this aspect of the post, but I think you're assumption that white people don't feel any pressure in terms of adapting or sacrificing their personality isn't accurate. Sure, corporate culture has been, for the most part, shaped by older white males.

I call my friends bro, use plenty of slang, wear tanks and cutoff shirts whenever possible, and enjoy pounding microbrews and protein shakes, among other things. A lot of this isn't exactly congruous with traditional corporate culture. I've figured out how to navigate the corporate culture without sacrificing my personality. In short I think this is a challenge that pretty much everyone in our generation faces, though it may be a greater challenge for certain social groups.

I also want to commend you for getting into finance due to genuine interest in the field, rather than just the salary opportunities or acclaim offered by the field.

All "other" isn't the same. Depending on the industry, the culture to which you belong could very much be in line with that which is shared by a large chunk of the employees. But, even assuming it isn't, it is acceptably "other" because it is not seen as threatening. Your CEO's wife may or not be amused by the cast of Jersey Shore, but she wouldn't cross the street if she saw them approaching. The same could not be said for the Wu Tang Clan, in most cases.

Don't think the last two really play a part in the work atmosphere tho. Distancing yourself from friends? Not unless you all work together. Changing your music tastes? Not unless you plan on bumping it for everyone in the office...Deciding to act mature in the workplace doesn't necessarily mean "switching gears". It just means you keep work as work, and your life separate. 

My thoughts as well. I have coworkers with whom I am close who know a little or a lot about who I really am at my core. But, in most cases, there really is no need to overshare - revealing subjective preferences not relevant to work itself often just gives others an excuse to either like or dislike you. I've worked at my organization for about 7 years, and over time, you reveal more of your personality as your reputation as a professional gets further solidified and respected up the chain. But, the point is some things (your appearance) are relevant and you have no choice about it. But, other things about who you are really only become relevant if you make them relevant... for better or worse.

Ah...of course not...but there is nothing wrong with behaving in a professional manner in the office and being laid back when you back in the hood...you gotta learn to adopt....I'm happy for you bro, but appearances matter, the way you are perceived specially in corporate america matter ALOT and doesn't nessesarily have to do with race, piercings, tattoos, even facial hair can put you at a disadvantage when hooting for some of these jobs bro...at the end of the day people just wanna survive and make a $ don't be so harsh as to call out "cornball brother" when you see a black man switch up a role in his work environment.

Frankly, I'm not sure all of these things actually even matter in the heart of hearts of many of the people who make these decisions. But, the job market is so competitive nowadays, that folks are essentially looking for reasons to trim the stack of resumes of otherwise qualified applicants. The most mundane thing could be that reason. I had a discussion about this with somebody who works in HR the other day - essentially would a typo on a resume matter if the job in question was not necessarily of the editing, copy writing variety? Her answer was, that theoretically, it wouldn't/shouldn't, but if I have 20 more candidates who are equally qualified who don't have any typos, then I'm looking for ways to keep the pool manageable...

Last edited:
One of the best feelings working at corporate is having a manager that has your back 100% of the time. Goodluck OP

Congrats Fam! Recently made a similar moving from Detroit to LA to take a position with far better money. Worked corp back at home for a year and it was so-so but out here no complaints. Same age as you as well at 23, 24 in Nov. Dont make as much as you do but once I make it to senior level I will be real close but again congrats!

My boy has dreads and he worked in Google's headquarters for two summers. They wanted him as a full time. Now he's at IBM in their Corporate Development department. Looks matter, but if you're the genuine article then your skills will outweigh your looks by far.

Back
Top Bottom