I got it ... Corporate #@$^%

Please dont ban me meth.. or lock the thread because the title... i'm writing this because i feel it needs to be said.

sup yall...

many of you all know i've been grinding left and right trying to get this position as a financial analyst.

Well, word came down last week that they were working on my official start date. and I got the news yesterday that I will be a Senior Financial Analyst for a major cell phone carrier in Dallas Texas.

Salary is still being discussed, but its definitely a a pay bump from what i've been working.

I got this job after my first year of graduate school... still have a year left

i have dreads. i pulled up to the office jammin J. Cole and Lil B. I have two 12s in the back of my trunk that bump. I'm not tatted up, but when i tell people, they're surprised. I like big booties. i play basketball. I refer to all of my homeboys as my "fambs". i'm not what most would consider a "cornball brother". I'll be 24 in august.

I'm saying that to talk to my brothers in here, and also anyone else that needs to hear it. Dont let any one tell you "you dont fit this mold or that mold" if you want to do something. I moved here from a small town and snatched an analyst position, with no experience. My undergrad isnt even in finance.

You dont have to change who you are. Be true to yourself. Work hard, be a generally good person. Dont let other roll over you.

Anyone that comes in your viscinity, you try your best to make sure they're a better person when they leave you.

Dont lie to these birds... keep it trill... let them know you playing the field. get as many yambs as possible and strap up... pull out too.

i'm not saying this for congratualations. i'm saying this cuz i know its possible. i'm proof.

:pimp:

Last edited:
Congrats...

Regardless of what OP said or what his experience shows, dont roll up to your place of work bumping chief Keef, calling your colleagues "My N___" and stroking around like you don't give a damb :lol: might have worked for him but it doesn't mean it'll work for you...being professional is not a matter of race bruh...

I needed to hear that this morning deadass. Congrats OP i'm really happy for you keep moving up that ladder my man. Your proof that no matter what you look like or what you listen to if you THAT ***** NOBODY can hold you back. That hustle and grind is undeniable and they saw that in you.

Last edited:
Dont lie to these birds... keep it trill... let them know you playing the field. get as many yambs as possible and strap up... pull out too.

pimp.gif
I tell my homies this all the time trying to keep schedules when girls can come and not come to they place lol, true don't ever let anyone tell you that you cant do something or half yourself, I never thought I could ever get a better job than at a warehouse now im in the medical field and I love it, OP IM IN DALLAS TX

Last edited:
Congrats...

Regardless of what OP said or what his experience shows, dont roll up to your place of work bumping chief Keef, calling your colleagues "My N___" and stroking around like you don't give a damb :lol: might have worked for him but it doesn't mean it'll work for you...being professional is not a matter of race bruh...
no... its not...

not sure if you know.. but as a black man... cats think they have to completely change who they are to get in where they want. white counteparts really dont have this feeling.

sorry famb, but it is what it is. i'm here to say you dont have to do that. i'm the same. of course, I dont go up to the Director of Finance and say "you got them reports, my *****? good ****, bro. keep it up"

but i see cats COMPLETELY switch gears. and you dont have to. you dont have to cut your hair, distance yourself from your friends, change your music, none of that.

:nthat:

What was your major for undergrad?

I'm doing accounting now but I'm kind of interested in finance.

And are you completing your MBA, if so will it be in Dallas?

But have you learned how to golf yet? :lol:

Last edited:
Good post. I think it's important to recognize that you can achieve success in the corporate world without sacrificing your true personality. That said, you have to be socially astute enough to understand when you need to tone down your personality and when to let it shine through.

Not being a black man, it's probably more difficult for me to comment on this aspect of the post, but I think you're assumption that white people don't feel any pressure in terms of adapting or sacrificing their personality isn't accurate. Sure, corporate culture has been, for the most part, shaped by older white males.

I call my friends bro, use plenty of slang, wear tanks and cutoff shirts whenever possible, and enjoy pounding microbrews and protein shakes, among other things. A lot of this isn't exactly congruous with traditional corporate culture. I've figured out how to navigate the corporate culture without sacrificing my personality. In short I think this is a challenge that pretty much everyone in our generation faces, though it may be a greater challenge for certain social groups.

I also want to commend you for getting into finance due to genuine interest in the field, rather than just the salary opportunities or acclaim offered by the field.

Last edited:
but i see cats COMPLETELY switch gears. and you dont have to. you dont have to cut your hair, distance yourself from your friends, change your music, none of that.
Don't think the last two really play a part in the work atmosphere tho. Distancing yourself from friends? Not unless you all work together. Changing your music tastes? Not unless you plan on bumping it for everyone in the office...Deciding to act mature in the workplace doesn't necessarily mean "switching gears". It just means you keep work as work, and your life separate. 

Congrats...

I'm sure he understands that, that's never something that should have to be explained to anyone.

I just don't talk about music at work anymore. When I first started and they were trying to get to know me they asked me what music I listen to, I answered truthfully and said I only listen to rap music. Then the looks and the sideways comments started rolling out "you can't spell crap without rap" etc etc. Didn't bother me in the slightest it's not like what's on my ipod directly affects their lives.

no... its not...

not sure if you know.. but as a black man... cats think they have to completely change who they are to get in where they want. white counteparts really dont have this feeling.

sorry famb, but it is what it is. i'm here to say you dont have to do that. i'm the same. of course, I dont go up to the Director of Finance and say "you got them reports, my *****? good ****, bro. keep it up"

Ah...of course not...but there is nothing wrong with behaving in a professional manner in the office and being laid back when you back in the hood...you gotta learn to adopt....I'm happy for you bro, but appearances matter, the way you are perceived specially in corporate america matter ALOT and doesn't nessesarily have to do with race, piercings, tattoos, even facial hair can put you at a disadvantage when hooting for some of these jobs bro...at the end of the day people just wanna survive and make a $ don't be so harsh as to call out "cornball brother" when you see a black man switch up a role in his work environment.

Last edited:
congrats OP i'm grinding right now just to get out the position I'm in and trying to stay positive and motivated. Stuff like this gives me hope.

Just Based on your previous posts about this, I already knew you were gonna get the job.

Like, there was no doubt that this was gonna happen.

Keep swaggin, foo'. :pimp:

Congrats, man. It's nice to get what you want without sacrificing who you are...great to know it's possible even though we're on two totally different grinds. Thanks for sharing, seriously.

Back
Top Bottom