i got rims for my car, now it squeeks... Help?

I have no idea why its going on. I be been dealing with this issue for a while, whenever I hit even a small indentation in the road, the front rims squeak. any ideas on why this is going on? Maybe the rims are too big? I originally had stock 16" now they are 20s with 225/30/20 size tires.

You went from 16s to 20s? They're probably too big - it's hard to keep the rolling radius similar with such an extreme change - even if you're running rubber band tyres.

If you let go of the wheel while going straight, does the car want to move to the left or right?

Originally Posted by RECOGNIZE GAME

shocks
breaks
or bearings

you can't turn if your wheels are hitting the fender.
word
i'd say go have your car checked out by a trusted mechanic

Are people really saying your car can't turn if your tire grazes the plastic piece inside the fender when you go over a bump?

Originally Posted by Xplicit213

shocks?
this is what is more than likely because your shocks arent made to carry that weight mines do it whenever i go over a speed bump...........

It's you suspension....you are only hearing this now because your stock wheels may have not had such an open area. Now that rims are bigger, you have more open area allowing the sound to be transmitted easier thru the wheels. 

/wrap this up

Please do not listen to people saying its your shocks. Never buy rims with out using a diameter calculator to make sure they wont rub. You cant put any size rims on any car. You can try running thinner tires but you probably just need smaller rims.Changing your shocks might make it rub less. I've done this with my own car but it's only a band aid

Originally Posted by theone2401

Please do not listen to people saying its your shocks. Never buy rims with out using a diameter calculator to make sure they wont rub. You cant put any size rims on any car. You can try running thinner tires but you probably just need smaller rims.
Bro...squeaking and rubbing are two different sounds....only thing that will squeak coming from the wheel well is the suspension parts (shocks, arms, swaybar end links etc)....I know of what I speak

If it is a metallic squealing and not a rubbing its probably his bearings. I dont think he means that maybe he can clearify.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the go-to response for threads like this...

Anyway, it's probably the bearings. If changing rims (especially with a drastic variation in wheel size, often with a big difference in weight) you gotta have them balanced and aligned correctly. Rims that size also bit extra stress on the suspension components too

Could be bearings, shocks/struts or anything suspension related. Could even be your rubber spring isolators wearing out and the spring is squeaking due to the metal to metal contact. Take it in to a mechanic you trust and have them take a look at it. Before i put lowering springs on my car i had a constant squeaking sound when i went over a bump, when i swapped to lowering springs the spring isolators needed to be changed, as soon as the install was done and i drove the car no more squeak. Could also of been a worn strut or shock as i replaced those as well but once those spring isolators wear out theirs gonna be metal to metal contact. 

Back
Top Bottom