I have a job interview for K-Mart tomorrow...

I have never worked retail, what should I wear and what questions should I expect? Oh and what should I bring as far as papers etc?
and smh at me, the interview is at noon tomorrow which is bam right in the middle of my classschedule.

oh and I'll hook you guys up on Al Harringtons if I get the job.
pimp.gif

good luck, and be confident, be positive. Don't talk about the negative. It like a first date, you want to show you're good quality's only.

you should find a Kmart uniform and nametag on eBay or something, and wear it to the interview.

that'll show them that you're prepared for the position, and that you won't take no for an answer.

for extra points, get to the interview early and start ringing people up. they'll be impressed with your work ethic.

Originally Posted by stoneyjax

refer to the 2 or 3 other threads about interviews
dang didn't even notice. Well NT is doing big things now.
pimp.gif

anyway, I've been getting mixed answers on this: tie or no tie?

K-Mart still in business? Dudes going to hire you tomorrow and call you the next day and say "the stores are shutting down". Word to Circuit City.

I wouldn't bring anything. I'm assuming you're still in high school, unless you have something impressive like 4.0 GPA, community service, etc. Iwouldn't bring a resume.

What to wear? A dress shirt, slacks, tie, shoes that fit accordingly so no sneakers.

Thanks for the offer on the Harringtons, but I still got my Starbury's.

I used to do interviews for my manager all the time...just have a plan of what to say so you don't look like an idiot humming "umm". Typicalquestions are..."what makes you a good candidate for us?", "tell me a bit about yourself", and they may give you several scenarios and seehow you would react, ie "customer tries to return something over 30 days, what would you do?".

Originally Posted by ChiHigh91

Originally Posted by stoneyjax

refer to the 2 or 3 other threads about interviews
dang didn't even notice. Well NT is doing big things now.
pimp.gif

anyway, I've been getting mixed answers on this: tie or no tie?
Refer to my post. I would definitely do a tie, but if you don't have access to one, that's OK too. I remember my friend back in HS wasgoing for an interview at Best Buy, but dude didn't know how to work a tie so he had the basketball coach coached him.
laugh.gif
First impression iseverything, even for a job at K-Mart. We used to laugh at all the kids who came in wearing polo that matches the J's like they're posing for the WDYWTthread.

Thanks for the info wj4! I'm actually a college freshman, but agewise I'msupposed to be a high school senior. Reason I haven't had a real job until now is because dad wouldn't let me do school and work, but I just turned 18a couple weeks ago so I told him I'm going to go get a job. Also, just wondering for questions such as "how do you deal with an irate customer?"do they like answers where I displayed myself taking control, or answers where I let the supervisors take control because they're always right? ughdon't know what questions to expect.

Thanks for the info wj4! I'm actually a college freshman, but agewise I'm supposed to be a high school senior. Reason I haven't had a real job until now is because dad wouldn't let me do school and work, but I just turned 18 a couple weeks ago so I told him I'm going to go get a job. Also, just wondering for questions such as "how do you deal with an irate customer?" do they like answers where I displayed myself taking control, or answers where I let the supervisors take control because they're always right? ugh don't know what questions to expect.
See if you can handle the customers problem first without overstepping your boundries, if they need information give them the right number, ifthey ask for a manager, just call a manager.

Originally Posted by OGMIKEY

Thanks for the info wj4! I'm actually a college freshman, but agewise I'm supposed to be a high school senior. Reason I haven't had a real job until now is because dad wouldn't let me do school and work, but I just turned 18 a couple weeks ago so I told him I'm going to go get a job. Also, just wondering for questions such as "how do you deal with an irate customer?" do they like answers where I displayed myself taking control, or answers where I let the supervisors take control because they're always right? ugh don't know what questions to expect.
See if you can handle the customers problem first without overstepping your boundries, if they need information give them the right number, if they ask for a manager, just call a manager.
That's pretty much the answer they're looking for. Calmly talk to the customer even if he/she gets loud. If you can not solve thesituation by yourself or if the customer request, get a manager involved. Sometimes things are not in your power. I remember once a K.K.K. member asked to bering up by a different cashier because my boy's black. My dude was HEATED, but the manager gave the dude the rest of the week off with paid.

Also remember to speak clearly and if you don't know what to say, just be quiet and take a second to think about it. Like how Barack does it, he speaksslow and clearly with confident. Good luck.

Originally Posted by SpringfieldXD

you should find a Kmart uniform and nametag on eBay or something, and wear it to the interview.

that'll show them that you're prepared for the position, and that you won't take no for an answer.

for extra points, get to the interview early and start ringing people up. they'll be impressed with your work ethic.
There are some people ballsy enough to try this somewhere

roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif
roll.gif

K-mart? lmao, its 2009, well i gues Martha still needs a place to hustle her misc. house hold goods.

all jokes aside, good luck
pimp.gif
hope you get it.

smh, interview got rescheduled to next Thursday. and wj24 thanks for the advice, could use moreNTers like you.

'Make sure to bring your own pen, have your driver's license on you, and a check or deposit slip. It's a little thing but looks better than havingto ask for a pen to sign papers if you do get the job, and having to run to the car to get your license and a check if they need that type of info, whichemployers usually do.

I say it's up to you on the tie, you don't have to have one, but it can't count against you either. Just make sure you wear some nicedress shoes, or at the least black unassuming shoes if you don't have dress shoes. Don't try to be cute and hit with the red AF1s or something.

HAve a question prepared for questions like,

= recall for me a time when you were in a position of leadership and a decision you made

= how would you be an asset to this company

- how would you handle a difficult customer

- what is a weakness of yours? <-- obviously a trick question. Don't answer like, "yea i be late all the time," but say something like,"whenever i start a project i get so focused on finishing it and doing it to the best of my ability, it precedes all other thoughts" or somethinglike that where you're really saying a strength

google "behavioral interview answers" as most companies are going to those moreso than the questions like tell me about youself, where do you wannabe in 5 yrs, why should I hire you, and what are some of your weaknesses

I currently work for Kmart and it really isnt that bad of a place to work for. As far what to wear, dress casual and you will be fine so a dress shirt anddress pants. I remember I was asked when Ive had to lead on my own with supervision and if ive ever dealt with a difficult customers and how I handled it. Whatdepartment you think you want to work in and I would bring a copy of my resume. And to the haters on kmart, Ive gotten a wireless hp printer for $24, 26"sony bravia lcd for 280, $30 digital camera, 26" RCA lcd for 190, and a $12 iHome. Great perks to working there when stuff goes clearance and your thefirst to know about it.

Back
Top Bottom