I know Im late, Just saw the Movie "Kids"

Originally Posted by kicksfiend

Originally Posted by Thank Me Later

Originally Posted by Dank Roofus

You don't know %!#@ about NYC so shut your trap. If you live in the city you're exposed to %!#@ like this everyday. I started skating in 01 right when I moved here from Jamaica. The day 9/11 hit I was cutting school at the Banks, about 7 blocks from where the towers hit. I saw bodies in the street, people jumping out the windows the whole nine. So you must be very %@!!+*% ignorant to think that kids don't smoke weed, drink liqour and #$+% V-poon. 
#$+% outta here

grin.gif

I saw ants getting squashed. What does this have to do with anything?

It doesn't. Just like you seeing dead bodies from 9/11.

Btw, you also forgot to brag about beating a man to near death at skate parks. *$*+!%* lames. Do you really think you were

"doing it?" by doing all these stuff? You sound like some kid whos parents failed to teach them anything in life.

I can tell you from first hand experience that most of the stuff you saw in Kids is not so crazy. I went to Stuyvesant High School. NYC heads should know about it, it's the top high school in NYC. You have to pass an entrance exam to get in (top 700 scores out of around 25,000 are accepted). Freshman year, during my second week of school, I was smoking a blunt with some friends in a building a few blocks away from school that a kid from school lived in. While smoking, one of the kid's friends came and sat down near us so she could shoot up. That's what I remember about my second week of high school, watching someone shoot up. When I was at Stuy, the NY Post wrote an article about the "wall". It was basically the main spot where kids used to meet up and what not during and after school. Two female reporter sat out there for a day or two and reported about all the drug use they saw. They wrote about the drug paraphernalia they found (including whippit canisters like what they were inhaling in Kids), drugs they saw being used, various drug transactions, etc. I'm sure you could find the article if you really wanted. Every couple of weeks, someone would rent out a lofts or some type of space and throw parties. Usually they'd be busted by the cops for underage drinking, most of the time someone would drink too much and someone would have to call an ambulance. I seen kids overdose on drugs you'd never think someone would overdose on (for example, cough syrup and antidepressants). There used to be a pier where you could do anything you wanted to do. If cops came, they'd have to travel down the long pier which made it easy to spot them and even easier to get rid of anything they'd arrest you for before they got to you. Fights happened every couple weeks or so. Alcohol and cigarettes were super easy to get. If they didn't just sell it to you, you could always find a way to get. There were numerous spots in school to smash girls whether they had v-cards or not (couch on the catwalk, basement, 12th floor etc.). You were allowed out for lunch so people took advantage of that, even if they didn't have lunch. I remember periods of time where I would go to school for only 3rd period (when they took attendance for the day). Being in the middle of Manhattan, there were a million things to do that seemed better than going to class. I got a million stories from those days. Every day was an adventure. The worst thing about it was that teachers and faculty gave you the benefit of the doubt because we were supposedly the "smartest" kids in NYC. I never got in trouble when I should have. Cops gave me multiple passes when they'd check my ID and see it was a Stuyvesant ID.

Now I don't say that to make it seem like my high school was the wildest. Some didn't partake in that stuff (like the 30-odd kids from my graduating class to went to Harvard). Most, however did. Even the quiet, nerdy kids would show up for the SING! (this student performance thing put on every year) afterparty if nothing else all year. By my senior year, I couldn't name one kid in my graduating class I never saw smoking or drinking at some point. If it was like that for me at the "TOP" high school (I honestly believe Bronx Science is a better school), just imagine what it was like for the kids at the zone high schools in the outer boroughs. I'm glad I got all of that out of my system while still in my teens.

If you grew up in NYC and you don't see similarities between your teen years and Kids, then you grew up in a bubble. I think the whole point of the movie was for kids living that type of life to relate to it and then realize that there are great repercussions to it.

Edit: Sorry for the block of text. I made the cliff notes larger if you want to skip it...
/thread

Ah dammit, I miss the 90's! This movie came out when I was about 14/15 and I remember that as soon as it released on VHS my school brought a copy and made it a mandatory watch in sex-ed class (I think they still do!).

And I can vouch that even here in Amsterdam, which is in no way as wild as NYC, we were up to pretty much the same things. Minus the fighting though, I know this also went down, but I generally chilled with peacefull dudes so I was never really exposed to the violence.
But as for drugs, alchohol and girls...that was pretty much what it was all about.

Of course at that age having sex is the biggest achievement you could reach, and my homies used to have craaazy stories about @&*#-ing girls. But you have to take into account that these were stories from teens, so just cause a 15 year old said he had sex, doen't make it so.
smh.gif

Drugs and alchohol were extremely easy to come by; the supermarket would sell you beers no problem, and our school was about 10 mins walk from, like, 4 coffeeshops. The owners didn't really care who they sold to (as long as you didn't look too young and the cops were'nt around) so we would go through half of the schoolday blazed. Summertime was just crazy, we even had dudes mix vodka/bacardi with Coke in a Coke bottle and they would be sippin in the back of the class room...I kid you not!

But what I really remember that when it came to doing drug etc. every body came together. I mean there was never really as much clique forming as in the US I guess, but especially when it came to blazing/drinking we would unite
laugh.gif
. Skaters, HipHop heads, Punks, Grunge dudes, Gabbers....we all chilled together
pimp.gif
. Oh and on a personal note...I also remember racking cans and getting up
devil.gif

I still speak to my old Art teacher from that period (really cool dude, I remember he used to give me Roots, Nas and Pete Rock & CL Smooth tapes) who still teaches at my old school. He was telling me that they don't serve alchohol at the school dances anymore. I was like
eek.gif
really. In my time, weed wasn't even banned from the schol dances, let alone alchohol. He was like: Kids nowadays can't hold they're alcohol
smh.gif

Wow, ok sorry for that rant I went off on.....jus reminiscing on simpler times
glasses.gif
Damn, I need to watch Kids again...

Kicksfiend is 100% right about everything he/she said. I can personally agree living in NYC and growing up here. I knew a LOT of people during my teenage years who lived the same lives as the ones shown in the movies Kids. Obviously they didn't sleep with virgins everyday
laugh.gif

The kids at the skate park down the way from me talk and act just like this, and i live in NYC

Man when I was goin to middle school in NYC, I was already seeing some crazy stuff.

I remember we had a sub teacher that day and kids in the back were playing in the back and two girls were given hand jobs to this kid's. I was amazed with a teacher in the classroom.

Im glad I moved from the city, cuz I deff kno I would have been doin some crazy !$$# myself.

Back
Top Bottom