I Sho' am Hungry..How about some Obama Fingers (Chicken) Vol. This Is getting out of hand..

0316_chix_460x276.jpg

A German frozen food company seeking to capitalize on President Obama's popularity recently began marketing a new fried chicken product called "Obama Fingers," sparking outrage from African-Americans on this side of the Atlantic.

"It's racist and inappropriate," declared Councilman Charles Barron (D-Brooklyn), calling for a boycott of the company's products. "We should do all that we can to see to it that no [company] disrespects the first black President."

Judith Witting, a sales manager for the company, Sprehe, said the connection between Obama and fried chicken - a stereotype long associated with African-Americans - never occurred to her.

"It was supposed to be a homage to the American lifestyle and the new U.S. President," Witting told Spiegel Online, a German media outlet.

"We noticed that American products and the American way of eating are trendy at the moment," Witting said. "Americans are more relaxed. Not like us stiff Germans, like [Chancellor Angela] Merkel."

While the company alleges it didn't intend to offend, African-American leaders here in the states called on the company to rename the product and apologize.

"Without a doubt it does raise concerns that are rooted in the history of racism and stereotypical types of characterizations of AfricanAmericans," said state Sen. Bill Perkins (D-Harlem). "It reminds us that [Obama's] victory does not automatically end that which we've been struggling against."

Todd Shaw, assistant professor of political science and African-American studies at the University of South Carolina, said the stereotype is blatant and "broadly offensive" to African-Americans.

"This sends a shiver down the spines of Germans and Americans, given our interesting histories of race and racism," he noted.

According to the product packaging, the fingers are "tender, juicy pieces of chicken breast, coated and fried." It comes with a tasty curry sauce.

LINK

I have to admit..its a bit funny..but then I thought about it..has any other president received this much "acclaim"

I really wish us humans could figure out this whole race and religion mess. this stuff if getting old. especially when there are far more pressing matters.
let me guess, Mr. Barron and Mr. Perkins are both running for re-election this year.
and is it just me or is that the Golden Gate bridge in the background? what does that have to do with Obama?

It's only racist when you find it offensive. So you saying Black ppl and chicken can never be in the same sentence without being racist?

Yeah, it's a bit racist.

roll.gif

[color= rgb(102, 0, 153)]some people just need to relax...if you're offended by blk people+chicken then stop eatingit[/color]

almost every black person i know won't hesitate to let it be known that they love fried chicken...and now this pops up and they're mad?
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by minah86

almost every black person i know won't hesitate to let it be known that they love fried chicken...and now this pops up and they're mad?
laugh.gif

Shut up...
laugh.gif

You said ALMOST every black person YOU know... that doesn't go for every black person in America... numskull

i think its kinda funny...
and why is it racist if black ppl and chicken are in the same sentence??
i understand i might be code language in some instances..but..
everybody likes a good yard bird...

Originally Posted by Spot Rusherz

laugh.gif

Shut up...
laugh.gif

You said ALMOST every black person YOU know... that doesn't go for every black person in America... numskull
im glad you interpreted it properly...but things are usually done by majority vote. this is only offensive if you want it to be offensive.

I'm white and I love chicken...

That doesn't look all that great though
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by Spot Rusherz

laugh.gif

Shut up...
laugh.gif

im glad you interpreted it properly...but things are usually done by majority vote. this is only offensive if you want it to be offensive.
the majority of ALL people like chicken, it's a staple food everywhere in the world. it's a joke that things like this are consideredracist at all. funny as hell though
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom