I SKYDOVE TODAY-MY EXPERIENCE

antonlavey

Banned
Got up this morning late,.....my appointment was for 11 and this place is like an hour 30 away. I'm pissed that I have to drive for miles through hick country for this.

I get there, people are nice, friendly, welcoming....they give me a waiver to sign that's like 5 pages. I attempt to read it, and dude tells me don't bother.....just sign your life away.

I watch my boy who got there first land, he said it wasn't that bad which calmed my nerves a little bit.

My instructor is that dude, but he's a little loopy and i suspect he might have been drinking or hungover but with 2000+ jumps under his belt I decide to trust him.

Some dude kept making jokes about death, and his instructor was like "F that, I'm not jumping with this dude"
laugh.gif

I put the gear on, it was a bit tight around my nuts and it was constricting my femoral artery. He gives me instructions on jumping out of the plane, my body position during the free fall and how to navigate the shoot.

THE PLANE RIDE
This is when the reality of what I was about to do hit me
laugh.gif
.....the pilot went up to 15000 feet (about 2+ miles up) and I start having second thoughts. My instructor asked me if I was nervous, and I said nah (obviously a lie). It's cold, i start getting high altitude ear pains and my heart is racing......the death metal music they started blasting on the plane surprisingly calmed me down and gave me the courage I needed. He goes over instructions again, everyone on the plane daps each other up (talkin' bout this may be the last time you ever see these guys again-like who says that
frown.gif
eyes.gif
) and started heading for the door.

THE POINT OF NO RETURN
I get to the plane door....and this was my exact reaction
alien.gif
indifferent.gif
sick.gif
eek.gif
. I get on my knees, he taps me on the back and counts to three and I just went for it. Mid jump I start thinking to myself (wth am I doing...this is stupid as hell
laugh.gif
)

FREE FALL AND LANDING
The most exhilarating experience of my life...the emotion running through my mind was a perfect blend of fear and ecstacy. Once the parachute deployed, a moment of expression of relief was shared by both my instructor and I. I was surprised at his reaction, cause he does this like 20 times a day.

He teaches me how the steer the chute, and makes me do a few 360 twirls (I almost vomited in mid-air, I was so nauseous). As we proceed he tells me i have to tuck in my leg for landing or I may break both of them.....The way he kept stressing this on the way down got me a little worried, I was apprehending the landing but breaking my legs is still a lot better than the chute not deploying.

Landed safely and like getting off a rollercoaster...I was ready to do it again.
pimp.gif

I would recommend everyone do this at least once in their lifetime....I think I'm pushing it but I'm already planning for a solo dive.
laugh.gif
sick.gif

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

How much was it?

$169....it's not bad. They had 90 bucks extra to have a camera man up there with you and I said chill...maybe next time.

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

How many tandem runs do you gotta do before you can go solo?

He said theoretically, I could have gone on my own today. I guess the place I went has no limits...he recommended 1 jump tho. I don't know who would be stupid enough to do it on their own the first time.

Originally Posted by AntonLaVey

Originally Posted by Toy Collector123

How much was it?

$169....it's not bad. They had 90 bucks extra to have a camera man up there with you and I said chill...maybe next time.

what??  it costs $275 in VA and i gotta drive 3hrs 
mad.gif

I am going to see if I can do it again but over water. The pics would be so dope.

Honestly I don't understand how it was $90 extra for pics cause mine was only like half that but I would have paid for it. Forget the video.

Originally Posted by DajonDondo

damn, hwo often do people die from this????

Statistically speaking, I was more likely to die driving there. I was reading a magazine they had and I stumbled on a page about "incidents". Name, Age, Cause of death.
laugh.gif
alien.gif
sick.gif

It's rare tho, they have days when they have like 200 jumps and no incidents.

Originally Posted by HybridSoldier23

How many tandem runs do you gotta do before you can go solo?

He said theoretically, I could have gone on my own today. I guess the place I went has no limits...he recommended 1 jump tho. I don't know who would be stupid enough to do it on their own the first time.
i would want to do it on my first time haha

Is skydiving safe?

Skydiving is a high-speed aerial sport that exposes its participants to the real risk of injury and death. Each year in the U.S. about 35 people die while making approximately 2 million parachute jumps. Other skydivers are sometimes killed while riding aboard jump aircraft.

Analysis of skydiving accidents show that most are caused by jumpers who make mistakes of procedure or judgment. Contrary to popular belief, very few skydiving accidents or injuries are caused by random or unexpected equipment failure.

Those skydivers who are trained well, who stay current and who take a conservative approach to the sport are involved in very few accidents and suffer few -- if any -- injuries.

Some people prefer not to expose themselves to significant risks, while others accept the risk in exchange for the enjoyment the activity offers.

Most parachute centers require that each customer sign a legally binding assumption-of-risk agreement. The document makes it clear that the sport has its risks and that the jumper is electing to jump in spite of those risks.

The Wifey been tryin' to make me do this for the last year? but Idk if I'm ready for it? I think I would pass out in mid-air, I need to man up!
laugh.gif
Just reading this gets me all nervous!
eyes.gif

i did it 2x. super fun. the only thing was the second time, the dude pulls the chute and moments later he's saying "fuuuuuuuu" so i look up and see the chute kinda flapping for a sec and then it opens. i happened so fast i didn't have time to actually be scared. 

Originally Posted by HigherGround

I thought you had to be less than 200 pounds.

nah...Im about 6ft4 215, my instructor was a lot smaller than me
laugh.gif
but he says he's better with bigger guys than the other larger instructors and he's taken a 300 pound woman.

The limit on most parachutes is 500 or so pounds

Originally Posted by HigherGround

I thought you had to be less than 200 pounds.

nah...Im about 6ft4 215, my instructor was a lot smaller than me
laugh.gif
but he says he's better with bigger guys than the other larger instructors and he's taken a 300 pound woman.

The limit on most parachutes is 500 or so pounds

yeah I have seen you mention your height before that was why I assumed you would be 200. Also the reason I assumed there was a limit was because there is a place around my way that says they don't take anyone over 200 and anyone above a certain height.

Back
Top Bottom