I.T purchased a 90% stake in A Bathing Ape for $2.8 Million

Originally Posted by bobbytripledigits

That was a great article by Marx on Neojapanisme. I've had a similar experience with Bape, first learning about it in the late '90s and traveling to Japan to research the brand and write magazine stories about it for both U.S. and Japanese print magazines in 2001.  However, I have to disagree with Marx's commentary on Bape's alleged failures and mistakes. For one, just because Nigo seemingly undersold doesn't mean he didn't accomplish something monumental. This brand changed the landscape of global streetwear to an extent only rivaled by Supreme and Stussy.  Not to mention that - I don't care what anyone says - this brand is worth far more than 2.8 Million USD.  Smalltime garage graphic t-shirt brands are valued at such.  Even with all reported debts considered, the value tallys up to around $50 Million. Nope, there's still something missing here. You also have to remember that it's practically policy that every Bape store has a minimum of a million-dollar buildout.  Clearly, the math doesn't add up, here but that's nobody's business really. (Also consider the relationship between the Harajuku streetwear family and bigger money coming from undisclosed organizations.. you guys really didn't think these mega brands operated off t-shirts alone, did you?  That's all I'll say.)
Point being that although sold, A Bathing Ape is a remarkably successful brand and concept. I think how this underground entity wrangled in the mainstream was beyond genius. That goes for the repeated success in America through popular rap, and China through the Chinese idolizing Japanese culture.  Very smart, very calculated, and very very inspiring.

Exactly, and thats why i've always respected Nigo's vision.

Edit: At the end of the day, I personally feel Nigo just had poor money management regardless how much bread was coming in.

That was a great article by Marx on Neojapanisme. I've had a similar experience with Bape, first learning about it in the late '90s and traveling to Japan to research the brand and write magazine stories about it for both U.S. and Japanese print magazines in 2001.  However, I have to disagree with Marx's commentary on Bape's alleged failures and mistakes. For one, just because Nigo seemingly undersold doesn't mean he didn't accomplish something monumental. This brand changed the landscape of global streetwear to an extent only rivaled by Supreme and Stussy.  Not to mention that - I don't care what anyone says - this brand is worth far more than 2.8 Million USD.  Smalltime garage graphic t-shirt brands are valued at such.  Even with all reported debts considered, the value tallys up to around $50 Million. Nope, there's still something missing here. You also have to remember that it's practically policy that every Bape store has a minimum of a million-dollar buildout.  Clearly, the math doesn't add up, here but that's nobody's business really. (Also consider the relationship between the Harajuku streetwear family and bigger money coming from undisclosed organizations.. you guys really didn't think these mega brands operated off t-shirts alone, did you?  That's all I'll say.)
Point being that although sold, A Bathing Ape is a remarkably successful brand and concept. I think how this underground entity wrangled in the mainstream was beyond genius. That goes for the repeated success in America through popular rap, and China through the Chinese idolizing Japanese culture.  Very smart, very calculated, and very very inspiring.

Edit: At the end of the day, I personally feel Nigo just had poor money management regardless how much bread was coming in.

Originally Posted by solesavage

I don't think anyone doesn't respect his vision, or that he inspired so many others...
but facts are facts. They fell HARD. 

Nigo MIGHT have other investments, but what does it say when your primary hustle goes this route? 
grin.gif

plus is it that hard to imagine them cooking the books?

Originally Posted by solesavage

I don't think anyone doesn't respect his vision, or that he inspired so many others...
but facts are facts. They fell HARD. 

Nigo MIGHT have other investments, but what does it say when your primary hustle goes this route? 
grin.gif

plus is it that hard to imagine them cooking the books?

Originally Posted by Jking0821

The article on like highsnobiety or hypebeast about it said that he sold it at a HUGE discount to them.  And that we should stay tuned to see what NIGO has instore now.

Something is definitely up.  When a company is basically sold at a 95% discount there has to be something in the works.

95%? Lol. That put Bape near a $1 bilion valuation. You serious? Did you see the financials I put up? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Jking0821

The article on like highsnobiety or hypebeast about it said that he sold it at a HUGE discount to them.  And that we should stay tuned to see what NIGO has instore now.

Something is definitely up.  When a company is basically sold at a 95% discount there has to be something in the works.

95%? Lol. That put Bape near a $1 bilion valuation. You serious? Did you see the financials I put up? 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by likethematrix

you guys are poor and silly.

Nigo has been making millions since the 90s.

clothing isnt his only venture. its not even his main. its his most popular.

and for everyone saying "oh its hype" or "oh theyre knock off ______" and (my personal favorite) "it cost too much"

same cats spending 50 dollars less on a pair of foamposites they ill never put on.
and the same cats just broke in general.

just cause you cant afford it doesnt make it not cool.
it just means you need to step your life up.

my red KAWS hoodie has gotten more attention than i could believably tell.

I normally read every post but i stopped there...not wanting to spend $80 on a tee that cost $2(or less) to make is silly? word?

Originally Posted by likethematrix

you guys are poor and silly.

Nigo has been making millions since the 90s.

clothing isnt his only venture. its not even his main. its his most popular.

and for everyone saying "oh its hype" or "oh theyre knock off ______" and (my personal favorite) "it cost too much"

same cats spending 50 dollars less on a pair of foamposites they ill never put on.
and the same cats just broke in general.

just cause you cant afford it doesnt make it not cool.
it just means you need to step your life up.

my red KAWS hoodie has gotten more attention than i could believably tell.

I normally read every post but i stopped there...not wanting to spend $80 on a tee that cost $2(or less) to make is silly? word?

I will try to find the article that mentions it was a steep discount. I'm sure its not 95% was exaggerating.

But their price points played to their whole mission about being exclusive.

If money isn't an option and you put their stuff next to all other brands stuff i would pick Bape more often then not. Their stuff is always creative (in patterns and color placement sense...obv not product design). I have 1 pair of sta's and 2 bape hoodies and i love them and still wear them.

I will try to find the article that mentions it was a steep discount. I'm sure its not 95% was exaggerating.

But their price points played to their whole mission about being exclusive.

If money isn't an option and you put their stuff next to all other brands stuff i would pick Bape more often then not. Their stuff is always creative (in patterns and color placement sense...obv not product design). I have 1 pair of sta's and 2 bape hoodies and i love them and still wear them.

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

This brand changed the landscape of global streetwear

I have to agree with that statement. Bape had Nike... NIKE, changing it's game plan. And I'll take your word, that something from the story is missing. 2.8 mil is a very low number for a brand that accomplished so much. I know they didnt milk the cow THAT dry..

I agree. 
The Hundreds better wise up. I see they started doing a Cut and Sew line too. 
Haha ..uhh.. what?
(Also..psst.. we've been running cut-n-sew for 5 years...)
I'm perplexed as to how The Hundreds can charge $100 for a pair of sunglasses...I mean are they really that big on the West Coast?
I always took them as a novelty type t-shirt line, but they're actually doing numbers. I'm curious as to who the investors are or customers.

I seen Queen Latifah's people rocking the Hundreds tee on Entourage last season...good look

Originally Posted by Dame Theory

Originally Posted by ATLien Seeko

This brand changed the landscape of global streetwear

I have to agree with that statement. Bape had Nike... NIKE, changing it's game plan. And I'll take your word, that something from the story is missing. 2.8 mil is a very low number for a brand that accomplished so much. I know they didnt milk the cow THAT dry..

I agree. 
The Hundreds better wise up. I see they started doing a Cut and Sew line too. 
Haha ..uhh.. what?
(Also..psst.. we've been running cut-n-sew for 5 years...)
I'm perplexed as to how The Hundreds can charge $100 for a pair of sunglasses...I mean are they really that big on the West Coast?
I always took them as a novelty type t-shirt line, but they're actually doing numbers. I'm curious as to who the investors are or customers.

I seen Queen Latifah's people rocking the Hundreds tee on Entourage last season...good look

Originally Posted by 430AM

Is the Bape store in LA on Melrose still open?

That whole Melrose strip is garbage now. I was there in October of 2010 and all I seen was closed down store-fronts. When I was there in '06 though, that strip was live. Crazy how much 4 years can do..

Back
Top Bottom