I was doing some deep thinking... Vol. Letting go

I was up all night last night cause of the hurricane and the rain so I was laying in my bed doing some thinking and self-reflection, which I always do before I sleep or in the shower.

What I have come up with is that I really don't care for materials, wealth, fame, recognition, none of that. Pretty much my whole life I wanted to be rich and I knew I could be, and I still do want to be rich. But I don't want to keep any of that money... just buy a car or two. That's all I want, I don't care for the big house, nice clothes, fancy dinners, just the man-made machines.

I've found that I'm much happier when I see other people happy, not on some brown-nosing business but just making a difference in peoples' lives and showing that just cause we don't know each other doesn't mean that I can't treat you like my brother. I'm trying to get rid of most of my shoes right now, sell my electronics, my bike, all I need is my ipod and I can have a great day. I don't know, but if I had real money I'd want to give it away, I see a ton of good people in the world that want things they can't afford, I just want to be able to show them that you can have what you dream about... and give them what they want that I don't care for.

I don't really know what to think of this. I'm afraid to let myself go and just enjoy life because I know I can do that without any money. I could work a minimum wage job and still be as happy as I would, maybe even more happy than if I had a bunch of the latest stuff. But at the same time, I don't dare let myself do that because I want/need a challenge and I'm afraid of not living up to my potential. It's not that I'm dumb and can't get a good job, I think I'm pretty smart and I do well in school.

But the money won't do anything for me. To me, it's all about the people I meet and I can change and show love to. I want to show others that while people might seem selfish and cold it's not like that and we're all together in this.

I really don't know what to think. I was very relaxed when I thought of all this and it's been on my mind a lot the past few days, I just thought I'd share.

There are no cliffs either, if you don't want to read it then don't add your opinion.

You my Nike Talk friend had an EPIPHANY. More power to you... You can still strive & work for those things but don't let them define you. When & if you get to that plateua, you can help make the world a better place cause lord knows we need it. If you don't reach that level, you can still effect a positve change. Best wishes on your journey kid...

I've found that I'm much happier when I see other people happy, not on some brown-nosing business but just making a difference in peoples' lives and showing that just cause we don't know each other doesn't mean that I can't treat you like my brother.
I hear you on this part. It sounds like you are a genuine person. My advice to you would be to challenge yourself doing something you are passionate about.

I do need money though. I've had some money in my life and blew it. I like the temporary high of retail therapy - better than drugs IMO. I want to live in Monaco and I want to go to FC Barcelona matches.  

Agreed with both of you... I will never work for money, I will never be a slave to money. I will work to obtain it but I'll never give up my life to chase it.

But I've found that money goes a much longer way when you spend it on someone else. The joy of owning a new pair of shoes wears away, same with eating food and buying other stuff. But when you take your friends out for ice cream or you buy a homeless dude a meal it's something you remember much longer and the memory stays vivid.

I'm going to strive to be the nicest person I can be when I get that money... if anything I'll be 10x nicer to everyone than I am now. When there's good people out there and times are tough for them, I feel like it feels great when I can help them out, maybe buy some random NTer some limited edition Nikes or something if his fiancee broke up with him or something... just things that show love.

Me? I'll be happy as long as I got a quick, agile car and an empty highway next to the city at night
pimp.gif

Good for you OP!
Life is about a lot more than just money and fame.
Wish you, & your family the best during Irene.

My god brother is a recovering alchoholic & addict. Been clean for a long time. He got married, had kids, & built a company perty much by himself & became a millionare. He has all the material things, big house in a gated community, BMW 7 series, million dollar watch collection, etc.

My little brother was a heroine addict for 10+ years & the last several years started smoking crack in an effort to quit snorting smack. This of course didn't work so he was hooked on both. Smoking crack by day & snort H at night.

He was ready to quit but didn't know where to turn. Hadn't spoke to our god brother in a looong time & called him to figure out what he should do. He ended up sending my brother to a 30 day detox & a rehab facility. He paid for it all. This had to be major money.

My bro has been clean for 6-7 years and ended up working for our god brother making 100k+. My brother reaches back by volunteering to help teenage addicts at a variety of places like teen prisons. He also married now & very happy. I'm very proud of my brother & thankful for the help our god brother provided.

Recently, he helped someone again like this. The point is, when you become successful, you have a duty to reach back & help. You can want to achieve in life, just remember how you got there & reach back.

Exactly man, with great power comes great responsibility and while you don't HAVE to help others, I'd feel "incomplete" if I wasn't keeping an eye out for those less fortunate.

I hope I never forget where I came from and who I met along the way. There are so many people I just wish I had enough money and opportunities to make a change in their life and tell them I got their back, but it's just in my hands right now. That will all change in a few years when I start to make money and become established.

The love is tenfold for those who were with me along the way. No one was with me coming up and if it wasn't for NT, I'd still be a lone wolf right now. It's crazy how something as overlooked as words and interaction on a message board can have an effect on you and honestly I appreciate some of the people on here more than those around me.

Originally Posted by JJ Jumpman 23

aren't you the kid who said you wanted to cop a fighter plane for like 300 million?

Yeah I was... and don't get me wrong fighter jets are one of the most amazing things in the world to me, but I could do a HUGE amount of good with $300 million.

It's easy to say now, but to be honest, given the choice between a fighter jet which I'd probably never get to fly more than 4 times a year or ending the famine in Somalia or something, I'd choose the latter.

That's not to say that fighter planes don't excite me and I want one, but honestly I could get similar thrill in a car or I could pay for a ride in a jet.

dude, you're younger than I am and you just opened my eyes to the good in the world.

I'm pretty pessimistic by default and I have to try sooo hard to combat that, but you made it a little easier.

e-daps

Yo I really like this @@#%++$ kid, O.P. aren't you only like 17? You are going to be a beast little dude, I will see you at the top young King!

not enough people in the world like you.

in the words on Nas, "to receives great, but i lust giving." the main reasons for me trying so hard in what i do is to be able to take care of the people around me.

good luck to you on your future endeavors.

i love having money ... but i had an epiphany i guess as well ... it doesn't drive me like it used to ... as long as i can pay bills and buy some things here and there i couldn't care less what i made ...

don't know when that happened but it did ... health and happiness are more important to me

bravo man bravo, ive had that feeling too even with all the rough problems im dealing with, im just happy with wat i got, gotta make the best of wat you got and be positive, helping others really makes this even better

Originally Posted by scshift

I was up all night last night cause of the hurricane and the rain so I was laying in my bed doing some thinking and self-reflection, which I always do before I sleep or in the shower.

What I have come up with is that I really don't care for materials, wealth, fame, recognition, none of that. Pretty much my whole life I wanted to be rich and I knew I could be, and I still do want to be rich. But I don't want to keep any of that money... just buy a car or two. That's all I want, I don't care for the big house, nice clothes, fancy dinners, just the man-made machines.

I've found that I'm much happier when I see other people happy, not on some brown-nosing business but just making a difference in peoples' lives and showing that just cause we don't know each other doesn't mean that I can't treat you like my brother. I'm trying to get rid of most of my shoes right now, sell my electronics, my bike, all I need is my ipod and I can have a great day. I don't know, but if I had real money I'd want to give it away, I see a ton of good people in the world that want things they can't afford, I just want to be able to show them that you can have what you dream about... and give them what they want that I don't care for.

I don't really know what to think of this. I'm afraid to let myself go and just enjoy life because I know I can do that without any money. I could work a minimum wage job and still be as happy as I would, maybe even more happy than if I had a bunch of the latest stuff. But at the same time, I don't dare let myself do that because I want/need a challenge and I'm afraid of not living up to my potential. It's not that I'm dumb and can't get a good job, I think I'm pretty smart and I do well in school.

But the money won't do anything for me. To me, it's all about the people I meet and I can change and show love to. I want to show others that while people might seem selfish and cold it's not like that and we're all together in this.

I really don't know what to think. I was very relaxed when I thought of all this and it's been on my mind a lot the past few days, I just thought I'd share.

There are no cliffs either, if you don't want to read it then don't add your opinion.
I admire the fact that you want to look out and respect what you wanna accomplish but if you wanna make enough $$ to do these things then you should abandon that thought process and focus on getting where YOU wanna be first.  

Back
Top Bottom