I'd Like to Present a Discussion Vol. Illegal Immigration

wait what?

21 years for a green card thru a blood sibling and 3 years thru marriage?

so how do normal people get green cards besides marriage?

Yeah, this was info I learned a few years ago, so maybe the waitlist has now gotten longer, considering Immigration was a policy we didn't put much effort into.

The below is the current backlog processing prioritization dates:

1633703226655.png

As for other Green Card sponsorship via spouse, there really isn't a priority date, it's really on a case-by-case basis, which makes the process even more ambiguous IMO. I've heard some people having to wait ~6 months, while some others had to wait 3-5 years.

Ways someone can get a Green Card (Permanent Residence) in the US are listed below:

Obviously the most common method is usually through family. But I know some folks who have gotten their green cards through the employment, Lottery and Investment (Yes, you can BUY your way to a Green Card) Channels. But they are not very common.

A. Family Based Immigration

1. Relatives of U.S. Citizen
a. Spouse
b. Unmarried child (under the age of 21)
c. Unmarried stepchild (under the age of 21)
d. Adopted child (under the age of 18) or
e. Parent or stepparent
f. Unmarried son or daughter (over the age of 21)
g. Married son or daughter (any age)
h. Brother or Sister

2. Relatives of Green Card Holders
a. Spouse
b. Unmarried child (under the age of 21)
c. Unmarried stepchild (under the age of 21)
d. Adopted child (under the age of 18) or
e. Unmarried son or daughter (over the age of 21)

B. Employment Based Immigration

1. Employment First Preference
a.
Persons with extraordinary ability
b. Outstanding professors and researchers
c. Managers and executives in multinational companies

2. Employment Second Preference
a.
Professionals with advanced degrees
b. Persons with exceptional ability
c. Exceptional professors and researchers

3. Employment Second Preference with National Interest Waiver (NIW)
a.
Persons with exceptional ability involved in activities that will substantially benefit the U.S. national interest
b. Advanced degree professionals involved in activities that will substantially benefit the U.S. national interest

4. Employment Third Preference
a.
Professionals with a U.S. bachelor’s or foreign equivalent degree
b. Skilled workers
c. Unskilled workers

C. Green Card Lottery

1. Winners of the Green Card Lottery conducted by the U.S. Department of State.

D. Investors

1. Foreign entrepreneurs who invest $500,000 in a commercial enterprise in a targeted employment area that will benefit the U.S. economy and create at least 5 full-time U.S. jobs.
2. Foreign entrepreneurs who invest $1,000,000 in a commercial enterprise that will benefit the U.S. economy and create at least 10 full-time U.S. jobs.

E. Special Immigrants

1. Religious Workers
2. Foreign medical graduates
3. Permanent Residents who departed the U.S. for more than 12 months

Last edited:
Word.

Majority of NT swears they care for all/love all opinions and beliefs, except for those that go against their own.

This is a sad truth with this place. A lot of these "anti-racist" folks are pretty racist themselves toward people from other races, not their own. But NT isn't ready to admit/talk about that.

Last edited:
Yeah, that worksheet makes it seem real nice and simple to immigrate here, but it ain't. I've been doing the process:
My wife and I got married in December 2020, and I worked on getting her permanent residence/green card here the day after. I was born and raised in the U.S., should be a slam dunk, easy transition to get wifey status right? NOPE.

I submitted OVER 300 pages of documentation of my finances/residency/utility bills/everything (more than a mortgage). Cost >3500$ just to APPLY.

Fast forward to today, nearly a year later. They're still processing it. Wifey had biometric screening, got her authorization to work. Still no SSN, still can't get drivers license, process to have her become a resident here STILL AINT FINISHED

I couldn't imagine trying to apply becoming naturalized in U.S through other means. Way of becoming a resident through marriage is supposed to be EASIEST

+1 on this. I’m a US citizen and had to go through this nightmare to bring wifey over. And she’s from one of “safe countries” so the level of scrutiny we faced was minimal. Submitted years and years of tax returns, a book report essay of how we met with pics, all sorts of forms, so many different applications etc. Took about 1.5 year end to end. I really can’t imagine how this process even works for people that aren’t familiar with the US, English, face extra scrutiny etc. Really such a terrible system.

+1 on this. I’m a US citizen and had to go through this nightmare to bring wifey over. And she’s from one of “safe countries” so the level of scrutiny we faced was minimal. Submitted years and years of tax returns, a book report essay of how we met with pics, all sorts of forms, so many different applications etc. Took about 1.5 year end to end. I really can’t imagine how this process even works for people that aren’t familiar with the US, English, face extra scrutiny etc. Really such a terrible system.

Where's your wife from?

I had a woman from Serbia once offer me $25k to marry her to get a Green Card

Whenever he posted from inside his crib I just thought it was a dorm room. Thought dude was a student or something.......until he posted his yard :sick:

Yeah, this was info I learned a few years ago, so maybe the waitlist has now gotten longer, considering Immigration was a policy we didn't put much effort into.

The below is the current backlog processing prioritization dates:

1633703226655.png

c. Unskilled workers
:sick::smh: @ flipinos/mexicans wait times

"unskilled workers"? so why not have your job get your a GC?

i'm guessing there's a major catch here or ppl wouldn't be waiting decades

Kind of. You can look at the Dep't of State's visa bulletin's "Final Action Dates" section under the Family-sponsored preferences section to see which green card applications are ready for approval. See https://travel.state.gov/content/tr...in/2021/visa-bulletin-for-september-2021.html. The wait/backlog varies by country.

If you're talking about marriage, it depends if you're married to a US citizen or a green card holder; if the latter, it might also depend on if you're already in the US, or if you're outside of the US. Regardless the wait for spouses of USCs is generally much shorter than that of other family-based preference categories though.

Not sure what "normal" means here but there's quite a few paths for people to get green cards other than marriage to a USC/LPR. Examples might include -- you're here in the US through your employer, or you're a victim of trafficking (labor or sex, whatever), you're an asylee or refugee, you've been the victim of certain felonies, you won the diversity visa lottery, etc. You might be able to do what's called "adjust status" to apply for your green card w/ USCIS if you meet certain requirements.
normal as in that ur not a NBA/NFL/singer/actor/professor/ceo/uber rich guy that are fast tracked

seems like marriage is the only real path the average joes has

i thought u get a GC based on the time spent in the country

:sick::smh: @ flipinos/mexicans wait times

"unskilled workers"? so why not have your job get your a GC?

i'm guessing there's a major catch here or ppl wouldn't be waiting decades

What do you mean catch? The reason why the backlog is so long, is because of the applications they have outstanding, along with the complexity of cases from applicants in those countries.

Lots of Mexican applicants either enter the country illegally, or fall within "grey" areas of candidacy.

Filipinos as well, considering most of the people who apply are from cruise/cargo ship entrance.

There's a process of deliberation which is required when reviewing these applications, and I also believe when applicants are "approved", it also has to go through review before it's finalized.

So, you can now get a sense of why the process takes as long as it does. And truth be told, we just cannot let everyone into the country. Sure, we have a lot of vacant land, but most people will not live or start lives in those vacant parts of the country. It will only further compromise the capacity we have in major metropolis' across the country.

So which country has the best or most ideal system? One that the US could maybe model after.

So which country has the best or most ideal system? One that the US could maybe model after.

There are some countries with far "better" immigration policies/systems, but they really dont quiet compare to the USA. Maybe Canada would be a nice comparison, but they aren't identical nor have the same applicants as we do. I still believe we have the most immigration applications in the globe.

1633712561080.png

Now let's compare countries with the "most" immigration applications

1633712522173.png

As you see, the countries with the "best" policies, also have the least amount of applications outstanding. Which totally makes sense. They have capacity to handle these applications. Now, give them the number of applications we have, and I don't think they run their immigration process the same.

What do you mean catch? The reason why the backlog is so long, is because of the applications they have outstanding, along with the complexity of cases from applicants in those countries.
i understand if u have above exceptional level of education or talent in something

but a average HS graduate can't just get a GC from a regular job
it can't be that simple or ppl wouldn't be shelling out big bucks for marriage

japan is #2? i heard JP GC/citizenship is one the hardest to get

Last edited:
People simply refuse to think of the world based on how it is, instead of this Utopia that it "should" be. Not very productive but it's good for morale i guess

Damn. Japan is the second most popular nation in the world….because anime.

Damn. Japan is the second most popular nation in the world….because anime.

LOL na, that's not the reason. A lot of people who live in Asia look to live in a country like Japan, due to the opportunities present in the country. Japan also has an ageing population. So, a lot of employment opportunities will be present.

People never really discuss the topic of immigration head on. It's always comes down to the "humans should be able to live where they want or not" argument.

the letter of the law is nothing more than codified human beliefs...the root of every social construct is how people feel about stuff.

perhaps that IS discussing the issue head-on and the rest is just making that realistic.

Back
Top Bottom