If a book came out tomorrow completely debunking religion, what would you do?

I used to think about this when Homer became a genius, wrote up some scientific equation debunking religion, then gave it to Flanders. And Flanderssaid..."Oh. He's right! Welp...can't let this get out anywhere." {discards paper}

And no...you can't be like, "The article is bogus." I mean...if somehow, someway...they proved it wrong...no questions asked.

What would you do? Personally, I would be devastated about never seeing people I knew that have died. I probably wouldn't care about a lot of thingsbecause nothing would have a purpose.
tired.gif

Those who believe would just deny it - there are already plenty of books out that logically try to dispel religion, but the problem with religion is that itexists outside of logic and reasoning.

We live in a strange time, where we as humans are mostly evolving past religion - but the hanger-on's will hold on firmly, and many turn into radicals inthe face of all this "blasphemy" they see taking place.

I wouldn't change any of my actions. I would just think differently about purpose and motivation, I would have to find it within myself that's all.

And I don't mean to cause a stir or threadjack but I hear people all the time talking about seeing their lost love ones in heaven but I have never readanywhere in the bible that this is going to happen. Shoot it hasn't even hinted that we will be with our family. Someone prove me wrong because Id like toknow where this popular thought came from.

i cling to religion, because of my fear of death. i also would like to see past family members after death. ive been struggling with the "death"issue lately.

I'm sure there are already tons of books and videos debunking religion. ZeitGeist is one that blew my mind. I was left
indifferent.gif
{ afterwards. What you choose to believe in is obviously up to you. Ifyou truly believe in something, nothing will change your mind.

Nothing. I don't need one book to tell me that another book of fiction that had a societal and lifestyle structure built around it isn't real. Thenagain I don't even think the whole concept of religion can be debunked anyway. I think ppl choose to believe in made up stuff and acting as if it is factto protect their morals and weak minds(self esteem, their misunderstandings of life, etc.)

Theres plenty of books out debunking religion see Richard Dawkins, Christoopher Hitchens and countless movies. Their written by the same species who wrote theBible. Religion has nothin to do with faith. People will hold on to faith because you cant prove that wrong.

Your theoretical situation is a little flawed.

The reason the majority of pious people choose to believe is faith. You write an article proving their wrong, they are still going to have faith in theirbeliefs.

As long as their is human emotion, there will be those that choose to believe in a higher power.

I'd prolly miss church on Sunday... just like I always do. The thing is, I mean... I AM a Christian, but the bible is basicallythe exact opposite of this hypothetical question. I realize not everything] in a man made book can be accurate, regardless of who that man claimsinspired him. So I look at this thread the same way I look at my own Christianity-- with a grain of salt. I wouldn't sweat your hypothetical book because Ihave blind faith in Jesus. I have so much completely blind faith that if I don't want to believesomething, I won't. And if I do, I will. I willfully choose to believe in God blindly, even though I'm a very intelligent and scientific man. Idon't care... it's easier that way.

Living by faith> Living by evidence.

Originally Posted by cartune

Theres plenty of books out debunking religion see Richard Dawkins, Christoopher Hitchens and countless movies. Their written by the same species who wrote the Bible. Religion has nothin to do with faith. People will hold on to faith because you cant prove that wrong.
can't be proven true, so we should all just say it could be wrong, it could be right.

But really is the bible possible in terms of logic? No

DearWinter219 wrote:
I'd prolly miss church on Sunday... just like I always do. The thing is, I mean... I AM a Christian, but the bible is basically the exact opposite of this hypothetical question. I realize not everything] in a man made book can be accurate, regardless of who that man claims inspired him. So I look at this thread the same way I look at my own Christianity-- with a grain of salt. I wouldn't sweat your hypothetical book because I have blind faith in Jesus. I have so much completely blind faith that if I don't want to believe something, I won't. And if I do, I will. I willfully choose to believe in God blindly, even though I'm a very intelligent and scientific man. I don't care... it's easier that way.

Feeling naivete, and living what you know is a lie < living life by what you know is true even if you are scared of the truth

Religion is not logical/rational.

It can neither be proven wrong or right.

Like everyone above said. It is a faith. You either believe in it or not.

Originally Posted by theprocessofbelief

Your theoretical situation is a little flawed.

The reason the majority of pious people choose to believe is faith. You write an article proving their wrong, they are still going to have faith in their beliefs.

As long as their is human emotion, there will be those that choose to believe in a higher power.

Originally Posted by Essential1

DearWinter219 wrote:
I'd prolly miss church on Sunday... just like I always do. The thing is, I mean... I AM a Christian, but the bible is basically the exact opposite of this hypothetical question. I realize not everything] in a man made book can be accurate, regardless of who that man claims inspired him. So I look at this thread the same way I look at my own Christianity-- with a grain of salt. I wouldn't sweat your hypothetical book because I have blind faith in Jesus. I have so much completely blind faith that if I don't want to believe something, I won't. And if I do, I will. I willfully choose to believe in God blindly, even though I'm a very intelligent and scientific man. I don't care... it's easier that way.

Feeling naivete, and living what you know is a lie < living life by what you know is true even if you are scared of the truth
Whatever.. Truth is overrated.... and I'm not afraid of the truth, I just don't feel the need to be one of those people. You can spend your whole lifethinking up stuff you can't prove or use if you could prove it. I'll just be living in the meantime. If I'm wrong about Jesus...meh... it was onlya .0472 at picking the right religion anyway... it's like Deal or No Deal... and I'ma stick with the case I have.

Its like in Angels & Demons when they said they could reenact the beginning of the universe and discover the "god particle" the Catholic churchflipped it and said they could use it to their advantage and prove that their is a divine power.

Back
Top Bottom