If Jordan was Tiger

Please don't get Jordan the player confused with Jordan the person. Jordan the person is not someone you want to pattern yourself after.

Look @ Kobe...lol...He was accused of raping a woman, but look at him now! Everyone loves him except me! LBJ :smile:

if some type of scandal or problem came out now about jordan, i HIGHLY doubt anyone would stop buying his shoes just for that. MAYBE if it happened while hewas playing in his hey days. but not now.
Air jordans are already established and everyone knows what they are and what they want. if he was caught like tiger woods before the xi FIRST released, thenmaybe there might not be as much hype for them now a days

Originally Posted by Genius44

Originally Posted by UltraPromoman

Jordan isn't much better than Tiger or Kobe. The reason Jordan's divorced is because he cheated on his wife...multiple times, the same as Tiger. When he was playing with the Wizards, a woman filed a $6 million lawsuit against him saying that he reneged on a promise to pay her for her silence and that he was the father of her kid. Jordan wound up winning the case because the DNA test showed that he wasn't the father and that no evidence surfaced that he promised her the $6 million but it was proven over the course of the trial that he was banging her for awhile and that he did give her money. Juanita was going to divorce him then but they were going to try and reconcile. That went to hell when more women surfaced. Michael wound up paying $150 million in the settlement. Nobody wanted to be like Mike because he had to explain that %$# to his sons, who weren't in college yet, but were old enough to understand. Can't forget about his daughter too. There's been rumors of him creeping for years but nobody snitched until recently. He was smarter and covered up his dirt. We've all heard stories of how he'd fight teammates and basically treat them like dogs in hell for no reason other than for kicks most of the time. Let's not forget about the shoes in the first place. Nike/JB still gets hit with human rights violations on the regular. Nearly half my collection is Jordan but this dude isn't clean at all.

This man speaks the truth.
Yes he does. In fact, quite a few posts hit the nail on the head. I'd agree with several others that the reason this didn't have an evenBIGGER impact on MJ's image is because this came pre-MySpace/FaceBook/Twitter/Texting/etc era. Bored people looking to gossip didn't have the type ofoutlets that are available to us today.

I think when we look back on the past, we sometimes have a tendency to only remember the positive of "the good ol' days", and ignore or block outthe bad. While it wasn't blown up like the Tiger incidences, I DO clearly remember accusations from women claiming to have slept with MJ on the news. This was late in his career, but I do remember them, and the reports of the "near divorce" that ensued. There were also the whole "gamblingproblem" issues that started in '91, when it was discovered MJ had lost large chunks of money to convicted criminals (drug dealing & weaponspossession) gambling on golf games. His gambling problem reared its ugly head again in '93, when the book Michael &Me: Our Gambling Addition, My Cry for Help! was released, and described how back in '91, in a matter of 10 days, MJ had managed to loose $1.25million to the book's author (again, gambling on golf). This came about in June, just as the Bulls were heading into the Finals, and it consumed the newsfor a while. I still remember Horace Grant stating in an interview in the locker room how he thought it was "reh-dic-uhlis" that these things werecoming out right as the Bulls were in the Finals. MJ was also being scrutinized for how late he was up till gambling on play-offs game nights, at which pointMJ took a "vow of silence" against the media. No interviews, no press conferences, etc. He finally broke the silence with an interview with AhmadRashad before "this history (they) were about to make" (the verge of a 3-peat, though I believe they lost that game), dawning some dark sunglasses,and "setting the record straight" about how he does NOT have a gambling problem (using some really piss-poor points as evidence), and how the authorof the book had exaggerated/inflated the numbers because to state someone who makes millions a year lost anything less than that would not make it seem likethat person has a gambling problem.
indifferent.gif

For those that don't know about this, or don't remember how big of an impact that 2-3 year span had, there are many that believed this led to the NBAasking MJ to retire after the 3-peat (the hight of the gambling fiasco), as opposed to MJ's claims that he was retiring on his own accord because he had"nothing left to accomplish". They wanted to put some distance between MJ, his legal issues due to his gambling problems, and the NBA's rep. There were also those that believed his father's murder was not some random robbery, but rather a calculated act by (or ordered by) some of the less thanwholesome people MJ had owed money to, which only added fuel to the fire of the "NBA booted MJ" conspiracy theorists.

It sucks that not a single god damn celebrity can be a decent person once the money, fame and "power" kick in, but I have grown used to it. MJ hurtthe worst, though, because I idolized the guy growing up as a kid. He inspired me to attempt to play basketball, which I ended up becoming obsessed with. Itbecame my safe haven. If it wasn't for bball becoming a great outlet for me, I honestly don't know if I would have survived the insanity of myhousehold. Unfortunately, as I got older, I started learning about how MJ was away from the cameras, and that was a major disappointment. I, like manyothers, tried to deny or justify his actions at first, but we knew the truth. The guy was an assh*le. At least MJ carried himself with some dignity when inthe limelight (dressed nice coming to/going from games, tried to speak eloquently, even though every time he tried to use "big words", he'dmisuse them, at least tried to APPEAR like a good guy, etc). This is in stark contrast to today's players who just don't give a damn, and dress likethey're running late to the big game after a drive-by shooting, or find making gangster rap albums in the off season more important than improving theirgame, or don't think twice before they start a fist fight with the fans, or coaches, or teammates, etc.

I live by one simple rule now when it comes to celebrities in any field. Presume they are worthless assh*les, and just be pleasantly surprised if they canprove otherwise.

Originally Posted by jc619er

They would no doubt sell because kids these days who buy shoes barely know who MJ is and what he did. I know there are going to be plenty of people on here who will say otherwise but believe me when I waited in line for the Space Jams last week most of the kids there were just in it for the hype and the popularity of it, all wearing their SB dunks and whatever the popular shoe of right now is. They just know that it's a shoe that everybody wants and that it will turn heads. They don't know what it was like to actually watch Mike play and want the shoe because of seeing him do amazing things in it. It's the reason why there ae so many fusions and spizzikes and all of that. It's because all these shoes look so close to the originals that kids just want it to look fly or floss or whatever. And of course there's always the Kanye and Jay-Z factor. Because if Kanye or Jay-Z wear it then kids HAVE to have it. But for me personally I would still buy Jordans if the man himself did what tiger did. Who cares if he had like 30 affairs, that's not my life he's leading. Unless he did something personal to me, that's his fault. And last I checked Kobe got convicted of sexually assaulting someone not all that long ago and it hasn't slowed down his money train when it comes to his product endorsements and selling out shoes. Hell, people praise him and have pretty much forgotten it. So don't worry Tiger, you'll be back in the game soon enough and free to break all the records you want.

i 100% agree.
when we was in the line for the space jams a lot of us true jordan heads were talking bout how disrespectfuL it is for us to do this for most jordan releasesand there this kids wearing skinny jeans were here with us just because of the hype and knowning that some true jordan head weren going to get theirs made alot of us mad.
90% of the jb buyer never seen him play, dont know anything about him there just following the trend, the moment, THE HYPE.

Originally Posted by Anomaly

Jordan isn't much better than Tiger or Kobe. The reason Jordan's divorced is because he cheated on his wife...multiple times, the same as Tiger. When he was playing with the Wizards, a woman filed a $6 million lawsuit against him saying that he reneged on a promise to pay her for her silence and that he was the father of her kid. Jordan wound up winning the case because the DNA test showed that he wasn't the father and that no evidence surfaced that he promised her the $6 million but it was proven over the course of the trial that he was banging her for awhile and that he did give her money. Juanita was going to divorce him then but they were going to try and reconcile. That went to hell when more women surfaced. Michael wound up paying $150 million in the settlement. Nobody wanted to be like Mike because he had to explain that %$# to his sons, who weren't in college yet, but were old enough to understand. Can't forget about his daughter too. There's been rumors of him creeping for years but nobody snitched until recently. He was smarter and covered up his dirt. We've all heard stories of how he'd fight teammates and basically treat them like dogs in hell for no reason other than for kicks most of the time. Let's not forget about the shoes in the first place. Nike/JB still gets hit with human rights violations on the regular. Nearly half my collection is Jordan but this dude isn't clean at all.

Yes he does. In fact, quite a few posts hit the nail on the head. I'd agree with several others that the reason this didn't have an even BIGGER impact on MJ's image is because this came pre-MySpace/FaceBook/Twitter/Texting/etc era. Bored people looking to gossip didn't have the type of outlets that are available to us today.

I think when we look back on the past, we sometimes have a tendency to only remember the positive of "the good ol' days", and ignore or block out the bad. While it wasn't blown up like the Tiger incidences, I DO clearly remember accusations from women claiming to have slept with MJ on the news. This was late in his career, but I do remember them, and the reports of the "near divorce" that ensued. There were also the whole "gambling problem" issues that started in '91, when it was discovered MJ had lost large chunks of money to convicted criminals (drug dealing & weapons possession) gambling on golf games. His gambling problem reared its ugly head again in '93, when the book Michael & Me: Our Gambling Addition, My Cry for Help! was released, and described how back in '91, in a matter of 10 days, MJ had managed to loose $1.25 million to the book's author (again, gambling on golf). This came about in June, just as the Bulls were heading into the Finals, and it consumed the news for a while. I still remember Horace Grant stating in an interview in the locker room how he thought it was "reh-dic-uhlis" that these things were coming out right as the Bulls were in the Finals. MJ was also being scrutinized for how late he was up till gambling on play-offs game nights, at which point MJ took a "vow of silence" against the media. No interviews, no press conferences, etc. He finally broke the silence with an interview with Ahmad Rashad before "this history (they) were about to make" (the verge of a 3-peat, though I believe they lost that game), dawning some dark sunglasses, and "setting the record straight" about how he does NOT have a gambling problem (using some really piss-poor points as evidence), and how the author of the book had exaggerated/inflated the numbers because to state someone who makes millions a year lost anything less than that would not make it seem like that person has a gambling problem.
indifferent.gif

For those that don't know about this, or don't remember how big of an impact that 2-3 year span had, there are many that believed this led to the NBA asking MJ to retire after the 3-peat (the hight of the gambling fiasco), as opposed to MJ's claims that he was retiring on his own accord because he had "nothing left to accomplish". They wanted to put some distance between MJ, his legal issues due to his gambling problems, and the NBA's rep. There were also those that believed his father's murder was not some random robbery, but rather a calculated act by (or ordered by) some of the less than wholesome people MJ had owed money to, which only added fuel to the fire of the "NBA booted MJ" conspiracy theorists.

It sucks that not a single god damn celebrity can be a decent person once the money, fame and "power" kick in, but I have grown used to it. MJ hurt the worst, though, because I idolized the guy growing up as a kid. He inspired me to attempt to play basketball, which I ended up becoming obsessed with. It became my safe haven. If it wasn't for bball becoming a great outlet for me, I honestly don't know if I would have survived the insanity of my household. Unfortunately, as I got older, I started learning about how MJ was away from the cameras, and that was a major disappointment. I, like many others, tried to deny or justify his actions at first, but we knew the truth. The guy was an assh*le. At least MJ carried himself with some dignity when in the limelight (dressed nice coming to/going from games, tried to speak eloquently, even though every time he tried to use "big words", he'd misuse them, at least tried to APPEAR like a good guy, etc). This is in stark contrast to today's players who just don't give a damn, and dress like they're running late to the big game after a drive-by shooting, or find making gangster rap albums in the off season more important than improving their game, or don't think twice before they start a fist fight with the fans, or coaches, or teammates, etc.

I live by one simple rule now when it comes to celebrities in any field. Presume they are worthless assh*les, and just be pleasantly surprised if they can prove otherwise.

I really hope people read this. One of the best posts I have ever read on NT.

Originally Posted by Anomaly

Yes he does. In fact, quite a few posts hit the nail on the head. I'd agree with several others that the reason this didn't have an even BIGGER impact on MJ's image is because this came pre-MySpace/FaceBook/Twitter/Texting/etc era. Bored people looking to gossip didn't have the type of outlets that are available to us today.

I think when we look back on the past, we sometimes have a tendency to only remember the positive of "the good ol' days", and ignore or block out the bad. While it wasn't blown up like the Tiger incidences, I DO clearly remember accusations from women claiming to have slept with MJ on the news. This was late in his career, but I do remember them, and the reports of the "near divorce" that ensued. There were also the whole "gambling problem" issues that started in '91, when it was discovered MJ had lost large chunks of money to convicted criminals (drug dealing & weapons possession) gambling on golf games. His gambling problem reared its ugly head again in '93, when the book Michael & Me: Our Gambling Addition, My Cry for Help! was released, and described how back in '91, in a matter of 10 days, MJ had managed to loose $1.25 million to the book's author (again, gambling on golf). This came about in June, just as the Bulls were heading into the Finals, and it consumed the news for a while. I still remember Horace Grant stating in an interview in the locker room how he thought it was "reh-dic-uhlis" that these things were coming out right as the Bulls were in the Finals. MJ was also being scrutinized for how late he was up till gambling on play-offs game nights, at which point MJ took a "vow of silence" against the media. No interviews, no press conferences, etc. He finally broke the silence with an interview with Ahmad Rashad before "this history (they) were about to make" (the verge of a 3-peat, though I believe they lost that game), dawning some dark sunglasses, and "setting the record straight" about how he does NOT have a gambling problem (using some really piss-poor points as evidence), and how the author of the book had exaggerated/inflated the numbers because to state someone who makes millions a year lost anything less than that would not make it seem like that person has a gambling problem.
indifferent.gif

For those that don't know about this, or don't remember how big of an impact that 2-3 year span had, there are many that believed this led to the NBA asking MJ to retire after the 3-peat (the hight of the gambling fiasco), as opposed to MJ's claims that he was retiring on his own accord because he had "nothing left to accomplish". They wanted to put some distance between MJ, his legal issues due to his gambling problems, and the NBA's rep. There were also those that believed his father's murder was not some random robbery, but rather a calculated act by (or ordered by) some of the less than wholesome people MJ had owed money to, which only added fuel to the fire of the "NBA booted MJ" conspiracy theorists.

It sucks that not a single god damn celebrity can be a decent person once the money, fame and "power" kick in, but I have grown used to it. MJ hurt the worst, though, because I idolized the guy growing up as a kid. He inspired me to attempt to play basketball, which I ended up becoming obsessed with. It became my safe haven. If it wasn't for bball becoming a great outlet for me, I honestly don't know if I would have survived the insanity of my household. Unfortunately, as I got older, I started learning about how MJ was away from the cameras, and that was a major disappointment. I, like many others, tried to deny or justify his actions at first, but we knew the truth. The guy was an assh*le. At least MJ carried himself with some dignity when in the limelight (dressed nice coming to/going from games, tried to speak eloquently, even though every time he tried to use "big words", he'd misuse them, at least tried to APPEAR like a good guy, etc). This is in stark contrast to today's players who just don't give a damn, and dress like they're running late to the big game after a drive-by shooting, or find making gangster rap albums in the off season more important than improving their game, or don't think twice before they start a fist fight with the fans, or coaches, or teammates, etc.

I live by one simple rule now when it comes to celebrities in any field. Presume they are worthless assh*les, and just be pleasantly surprised if they can prove otherwise.

I really hope people read this. One of the best posts I have ever read on NT.
Co-sign.

laugh.gif
@ "if Michael's name became tainted".

1. Michael slept with A LOT of women while playing ball. MOST BALL PLAYERS DO. Even your favorites. Actually, ESPECIALLY your favorites.

2. Michael had a gambling problem

3. He's an A-hole to the umpt degree

This information has been in the news but most of you are probably too young or weren't alive to remember.

It would've sold out regardless. A bunch of adults still have image of MJ the athlete that dominated the league. I'm pretty sure most of those adultslater realized the type of person Jordan is, but that doesn't take away from how good of a basketball player Jordan was. Ty Cobb was a !#@@*!! but he stillmade it to the Hall.

They're pretty much the same. Both cheated on their wives with multiple women. At the end of the day, I dont care about what athletes do in their personallives. I only care about what your doing on the court and on the golf course.

maybe off the court MJ wasn't a saint at times.. but on the court hes still the greatest player to ever play the game. Tiger woods's situationisn't amazing, his image is tarnished.. but on the golf course hes the best of the best.

roll.gif
at the pic of MJ with the cigar and the 2 white girls

Back
Top Bottom