If JR Smith had a brain.....

gang_smith3.jpg

I'm totally convinced he would be a top-10 player in the NBA.  Here's a guy who I would have compared to Ray Allen, and had the long-term potential to be a better player than Sugar Ray.  However, his b-ball IQ has held him back immensely.  The thing with having a high b-ball IQ, is that it's just something you have in you....it's not something that you can work on over the summer and come back as a totally changed player.  Anyone else with me on this?

Yeah, he put on a show last night. Super talented...maybe as he grows older, he'll grow wiser. Or maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part.

How often does this topic come up though?

BTW, son needs a midrange game.

I totally agree... dude is skilled! Unfortunately, my kids have a better basketball IQ then him.

I mean at this point, who gives a #$**. Dude can light it up on any given night, which is more than alot of players in the NBA can say. He is what he is and it is certainly entertaining to watch either way.

This post comes up every bball season

and why would you compare him to Ray? If smith played to his talent he was more Vince Carter like then Ray

I was hoping it was going to be J.R. Smith highlights with "If I only had a brain" from Wizard of Oz being played.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

and why would you compare him to Ray? If smith played to his talent he was more Vince Carter like then Ray

why wouldn't I compare him to Ray?  Athletically, I can see why you'd mention Carter....but I don't think there is anything off-base w. comparing Smith and Ray Allen. 

Originally Posted by DoubleJs07

why wouldn't I compare him to Ray?  Athletically, I can see why you'd mention Carter....but I don't think there is anything off-base w. comparing Smith and Ray Allen. 
Dudes forget that Ray had the ability to put it on the deck and take it to the rack hard.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Dudes forget that Ray had the ability to put it on the deck and take it to the rack hard.

QFT

--The thread title already had me
roll.gif

--Same thing as if VC and TMac had Mamba's work ethic...

Thank God he doesn't have a brain though. 
laugh.gif
embarassed.gif

Guy is such a God damn ****** though.  That pic J's posted just makes me sad for him.  He has no idea.  None.  He woulda been a perfect fit on those Kings teams that never won and were so anti clutch. 

But his game is smooth as hell, but I wonder if it's not just brain, but work ethic.  Why hasn't he developed any sort of mid range game?  Especially with a guy like Carmelo on his team, he should be trying to copy everything Melo does.  Seems like he either dunks, or shoots from 37 feet, there's no in between.  Why?  He's damn near the guard version of Rasheed Wallace.  Just stand outside and shoot, go to the bucket only if it's wide open to do so. 

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Yeah, all he does is pull 3's now, but he used to drive and $%+#.

Wish JR had a brain though

Yea, this always is brought up & I always agree... If he had a better basketball IQ he would no doubt be a great player with his potential & talent.

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

I mean at this point, who gives a #$**. Dude can light it up on any given night, which is more than alot of players in the NBA can say. He is what he is and it is certainly entertaining to watch either way.

Agreed

Dude gets it done.

Mehh you can play the "if " game all you want, but dude will always be a feast or famine player.

Jamal Crawford will never get the love Earl does on here

Originally Posted by Im Not You

Not sure about top 10.

But certainly a lot of better than what he is.
Yup.

But at the end of the day, I'm at this point w/ dude:
Originally Posted by Scott Frost

I mean atthis point, who gives a #$**. Dude can light it up on any given night,which is more than alot of players in the NBA can say. He is what he isand it is certainly entertaining to watch either way.
The gift and the curse.

If dude had half a brain the only thing im convinced of is that he would have half a brain and thats it. He does what he does, cause he wants to, he's a man, he's not mentally ******ed or anything. He would be a lot better with the midrange though, kills the Lakers every single time.

Originally Posted by The Fresh Sole

The post may come up every b-ball season, but it's for good reason.  Every once in a while Earl does something that leaves you going
eek.gif
.  I can't be the only one who thinks about "what if....."  It's amazing how some players in the NBA can overcompensate for a "lack" of athleticism by having a GREAT b-ball IQ.  JR....well, he's in a class of his own athletically.  I think in the current NBA, he's one of the top 2-3 most athletic players.  However....if he was only a tad bit smarter you'd be talking about a guy who would be one of best at the 2 spot.  He makes things look so easy sometimes....but then he'll do something so boneheaded and you'll be saying..."did this dude just did this???" and shaking your head in disgust. 

Back
Top Bottom