If the money was right, could you work for a BLATANTLY racist person?

We talked about this in the NBA thread over in S&T. Chris Paul is on the verge of signing a 107 million dollar contract w/ the Clippers. Their owner is Donald Sterling. He's long been known to be a racist. Obviously, that's a crazy amount of money and obviously money talks. Could you do it knowing your boss' history?

Same can be said of Paula Deen as well...

I'm obviously not in the same tax bracket as Chris Paul, so it's easy for me to say that on principle, I couldn't do it.....however, that is a lot of cash. What say you?

Some people have sacrificed their dignity for much less. Hell yeah Id take it in Chris Paul's situation. Besides, I'm just going to assume just about everyone is racist anyway.

I guess it depends on how far we talk, is it comments? Actions? Slick remarks?
But more than likely for 107 Millie...

Yeap.

And I don't care you tells you other wise. :lol:

Last edited:
How much contact do I have w/ said racist person on a daily basis? We talking CEO of a company or direct supervisor?

In the case of just the Clippers, yeah. You don't see the owner on a daily basis, so it's not going to affect you much. But let's say it's in an office setting where you can't avoid your boss and they are constantly making off color comments and jokes, idk. You might be able to take it if the money was right, but what kind of money are we talking about here?

Crazy question. Of course folks would. Don't let any freedom fighter come in here and say they wouldn't/couldn't.

Nah man, I don't think so. I'm too scared of where my actions will lead once I get fed up of the racism. And if I was Chris Paul, I don't think I'll play for such an owner. What would he tell his kids down the line? It was all for the money? A dude like CP3 can play for anyone and get a nice lucrative contract. That's just my 2 cents.

Some people have sacrificed their dignity for much less. Hell yeah Id take it in Chris Paul's situation. Besides, I'm just going to assume just about everyone is racist anyway.
repped exactly....its so many ppl who work for fortune 500 companies etc...amongst other businesses for faaaaaaaaaaaar less. Sad thing about it, many ppl almost feel a sense of "arrival" or acceptance working for them especially when its a minority working for a majority.

Would this person be calling me racial slurs and screaming on me like a drill sergeant? Would this person be like "Hey (racial slur) where's those TPS reports?"

Last edited:
How much contact do I have w/ said racist person on a daily basis? We talking CEO of a company or direct supervisor?

this is what matters most. If i have little to no contact with that person then yes, but if its someone i have to interact with on a daily basis then no

What do you mean by blatantly racist? How far is the boss taking it?

Let's say there were off-the-cuff comments and lawsuits against your boss for discrimination. Pretty much, working under Donald Sterling.

Would this person be calling me racial slurs and screaming on me like a drill sergeant?

How about, not saying anything to you per-say...but making racist comments on the regular towards other groups of people in your presence.

It'd have to be a couple hundred million, what kind of racist they were, what kind of job it is, and how closely I worked with/under them.

That would need to be clear to me before I could decide any further. So yeah there is a situation where money > principle.

Last edited:
Working in the entertainment industry I've seen this a few times. You just come to the conclusion that everyone has a different set of morals and views on the world, whether you agree with them or not.

:lol: whoever thinks Chris Paul can get this deal elsewhere. Hello, there is an influx of good young PGs in the league. He will still get a lot elsewhere, but not 20 mill a year. Besides he's 28 and only has a couple more prime years left.

Last edited:
Speaking on Sterling specifically, it irritates me that he even owns a team in the NBA. He's had a history of racism.

no, not if i have to deal with them on the daily

and call it what you want but i already assume most white guys in a position of power are more than likely prejudiced if not out right racist anyway so if it's the CEO of the company and i never even see dude i could careless unless he was actively trying to screw me over or something

and hell no if I'm Chris Paul dude can get paid anywhere

no, not if i have to deal with them on the daily

and call it what you want but i already assume most white guys in a position of power are more than likely prejudiced if not out right racist anyway so if it's the CEO of the company and i never even see dude i could careless unless he was actively trying to screw me over or something

and hell no if I'm Chris Paul dude can get paid anywhere

I think the Clippers could technically offer him the most cash....

also, I think these dudes do deal with Sterling more regularly than what you think...

case in point:

"While ignoring my suggestions and isolating me from decisions customarily reserved for general managers, the Clippers attempted to place the blame for the team's failures on me," Baylor said in the declaration. "During this same period, players Sam Cassell, Elton Brand and Corey Maggette complained to me that DONALD STERLING would bring women into the locker room after games, while the players were showering, and make comments such as, 'Look at those beautiful black bodies.' I brought this to Sterling's attention, but he continued to bring women into the locker room."

Link

If I could ply my trade elsewhere for a comparable amount of money, no. I like to think my dignity is worth a few mil if I'm still plenty comfortable. I'd take a stand and a lower offer from another team. I'll somehow survive on just $10 million a year.

If there was no other option, I don't think I'd be able to pass it up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom