If you are RELIGIOUS, you should be a FUNDAMENTALIST. <---meaning you should FOLLOW EVERY RULE

Otherwise, it makes no sense to be in said religion.

You can't just be choosing what rules to follow and what rules not to follow.

If you can't follow all of the rules, or choose not to follow all of the rules: Find another religion, or start your own, or just believe in your god withno religion.

Agree?

I'm an atheist if that matters.

Originally Posted by Its That Dude

just believe in your god with no religion.
I think I fall under this category because I don't go to church but still believe in god

OP,
You make a very good point, BUT plenty of fundamentalists make-up the rules to benefit themselves as well

Originally Posted by rawjs

OP,
You make a very good point, BUT plenty of fundamentalists make-up the rules to benefit themselves as well

Which is the main reason why theres so many damn extremist who do horrid things

Originally Posted by milestailsprowe

Originally Posted by rawjs

OP,

Which is the main reason why theres so many damn extremist who do horrid things
People do terrible things every day without considering religion.It's all about perspective.

Also, "extremist" people are on the fringe of all movements. If there was an extremist group who used the protection of the environment as theirjustification for killing millions, does that mean that protecting the envoronment drives people to do bad things ? The answer is no.

Also, I'm not a religious person, but human people have faults. Because someone may have a hard time with certain aspects of a religion, it doesn'tmean they don't respect and understand why the values are there in the first place.

We are not perfect, thats why theres words in the english language called forgiveness and repentance.

Originally Posted by drock2010

just believe in your god with no religion.
I think I fall under this category because I don't go to church but still believe in god
yea me too im more spiritual then religious

Originally Posted by NomadicSole21

We are not perfect, thats why theres words in the english language called forgiveness and repentance.

I'm talking about people who CHOOSE to not follow the rules.

That just makes them human. What difference does it make to you ?

And on that note, whats the deal with self proclaimed 'athiests' always trying to make some kind of point about people who have faith ? You people are10X more obnoxious and arrogant than any person who has knocked on my door and tried to sell me some kind of religion.

Sit down.

But what is choice?

If you think about it, people who are in a religion were born into it. So it's not really a choice to begin with.

Also, many religions call for a maturation and transformation of the self into the ideal person. It would be quite difficult to do that if you don'tencounter bumps along the road.

Someone can be a fundamentalist and still not be up to par.

Why are you aethiest. And do you believe in the tenents of aethiesm? I think if you thought rationally about it than you would just come to my side of agnostici.e there is some supreme something that started this all, but religions are foolish yet give hope to the hopeless. But please do explain why you don'tagree with my beliefs.

Originally Posted by northparkblind

Theres no religion without God.
Buddhism.

edit: to reply to the OP, logic tells me to agree with you, but my conscience asks me why should i judge another persons faith, even when they are"breaking the rules" of the religion they identify with...if it works for them in their life its okay with me when it comes to spiritual practice.

Although I think I understand why you're saying this, I think you're completely wrong.

Most people are the religion their parents are, ie they were born into it. They didn't sign any contract at birth. A lot of people join religions withwho's doctrines they don't entirely agree on, because its not like there is a "create-your-own-religion" option on the menu, where you justpick and choose what you like and dislike. Look at it as there only being 4(random number) types of cars sold, and although you might not like the options ortrim, its better than not having a car in some cases.

ALSO, and most importantly, why should anyone follow rules that were created by people, not by God? The bible was written by people, the commandments werewritten by people, and the most important and influential religion (Catholicism) is run by humans, who made rules up themselves. I don't believe any peoplespoke to God since I don't think "it" is a person or whatever, and I don't think "it" sits up "there" directing things,and if "it" did, the earth is like .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent of the universe, so it wouldn'teven care about us.

Like I just believe there is a God, whatever it is (search for the common good? science? the source code of the universe?), and that there are people likeJesus who were just good people who tried to inspire people to lead good lives. I just try to be a good person and help others, thats my religion. I'vebeen to all sorts of churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, etc., and I never feel out of place because at the end of the day I have more in common with thesepeople than I don't.

i heard someone say this, "the bible doesn't necessarily say you can't do that, and if it does, show me where."

trying to find loopholes in the bible ftw.
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

By your standards you have to follow every law, no matter how trivial, to be an American. Is that correct?

Originally Posted by duerr

That just makes them human. What difference does it make to you ?

And on that note, whats the deal with self proclaimed 'athiests' always trying to make some kind of point about people who have faith ? You people are 10X more obnoxious and arrogant than any person who has knocked on my door and tried to sell me some kind of religion.

Sit down.

Self-proclaimed? Would you rather have someone else besides myself to proclaim that I am atheist? How am I being obnoxious and arrogant?

Originally Posted by bboy1827

Why are you aethiest. And do you believe in the tenents of aethiesm? I think if you thought rationally about it than you would just come to my side of agnostic i.e there is some supreme something that started this all, but religions are foolish yet give hope to the hopeless. But please do explain why you don't agree with my beliefs.
There's no proof for or against either way of thinking, but at this moment, I'm just leaning towards atheism because of the lack of proofthat there is a higher being.

Originally Posted by MARTIN AND CO

Although I think I understand why you're saying this, I think you're completely wrong.

Most people are the religion their parents are, ie they were born into it. They didn't sign any contract at birth. A lot of people join religions with who's doctrines they don't entirely agree on, because its not like there is a "create-your-own-religion" option on the menu, where you just pick and choose what you like and dislike. Look at it as there only being 4(random number) types of cars sold, and although you might not like the options or trim, its better than not having a car in some cases.

ALSO, and most importantly, why should anyone follow rules that were created by people, not by God? The bible was written by people, the commandments were written by people, and the most important and influential religion (Catholicism) is run by humans, who made rules up themselves. I don't believe any people spoke to God since I don't think "it" is a person or whatever, and I don't think "it" sits up "there" directing things, and if "it" did, the earth is like .00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 percent of the universe, so it wouldn't even care about us.

Like I just believe there is a God, whatever it is (search for the common good? science? the source code of the universe?), and that there are people like Jesus who were just good people who tried to inspire people to lead good lives. I just try to be a good person and help others, thats my religion. I've been to all sorts of churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, etc., and I never feel out of place because at the end of the day I have more in common with these people than I don't.

I realize that most people are born into their respective religions, but as they grow older, they have the choice to stay in that religion or not.

I agree with you about the Bible thing. Man wrote it, yet today, many religions are teaching from it. If someone doesn't agree with how their religionworks, why not do one of the three things I listed in the OP?

No one needs religion. We all know what's right and wrong. One can believe in a god without religion.

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

By your standards you have to follow every law, no matter how trivial, to be an American. Is that correct?
I think your question would be better phrased as..If I want to live in America, I would have to follow every US law right?

That would make more sense.

And yes, if I disagree with the Bill of Rights or the Constitution, I should leave the US. Individual state laws(what you're getting at?)...No.

Originally Posted by Alchemist IQ

Another "Its That Dude" Thread?.........walks out.
tired.gif
Is there something wrong with this topic?

I guess I am officially "that dude" now.
laugh.gif

I belive there's a God, but there's no REAL proof he/she/whatever exist.

I say what OP said all the time. I've met so many sinful ppl based off of what comes out their mouths when reciting their holy text that claim to beChristian, Muslim, Jewish, etc. and I came to the conclusion that I'd rather have no religion rather than have one and break/ignore the rules anyway.

They always bring up what I call cop outs like I'll just repent/atone or if I'm really sorry GOD will understand and forgive. Poppycock! Hogwash!!Balderdash I say!!! Makes no sense to be in a group of anything when you'll break the rules or ignore them anyway.

I disagree. Religions and religious texts have been interpreted by other men. Why couldn't you interpret it your way? Look, I'm not saying being atotal hypocrite but what exactly does it mean to follow something to the tee when a lot of it is arbitrary anyways?

Back
Top Bottom