Iguana Owners Please Check In.... I need help.

What's up NT?

I just recently got 2 Iguanas. I have a couple questions to ask:

1. Is having 2 baby Iguanas in 1 Tank a bad idea?
  2. If 1 Iguana is sleeping and the other is playing, eating, jumping around at night, is that bad?
Any helpful tips, ideas, pictures of tanks/cages or iguanas will be GREATLY appreciated.

Here's the thing. Buying the Baby Iguana was only 20 each.

But then you have to buy the following:

Tank
Day light
Night Light
Food Bowl
Water Bowl
Humidity Meter
Thermometer
And a bunch of other accessories.

They can chill together when very young (hatchlings), but not when older. They grow real quick though so you need to prepare for that. They tend to beaggressive toward one another over territory and especially mating time (spring and fall usually).

No problem if one sleeps while the others plays, but later on the playful one may become dominant towards the more relaxed one and it could affect growth

Originally Posted by ninjallamafromhell

Hope your experience goes better than mine. My iguana was possessed by the devil. Thing was pure evil.
How's that?

Originally Posted by JordanHead2

Bearded Dragon > _________________
I KNOW!!! I saw one for $100 and I was about to get it, but I've wanted an Iguana since I moved to the US from Venezuela back in '96.

Originally Posted by SIRIUS LEE HANDSOME

They can chill together when very young (hatchlings), but not when older. They grow real quick though so you need to prepare for that. They tend to be aggressive toward one another over territory and especially mating time (spring and fall usually).

No problem if one sleeps while the others plays, but later on the playful one may become dominant towards the more relaxed one and it could affect growth
Yea, I was told the same thing.

So here is my next question. Should I buy 1 20 gallon tank for them, or buy another 10 gallon and have them both separate?

Originally Posted by BTK

get a dog
My apartment building won't allow me to.
frown.gif

Hope your experience goes better than mine. My iguana was possessed by the devil. Thing was pure evil.

thats pretty metal man
devil.gif
laugh.gif

You might be better off spending less and getting a 10 gallon for the meantime for each, but you'll need to buy bigger housing in less than a year. A tengallon tank is like what, $20 compared to a 120 gallon, which is around like $200 or something I think. You can then move up to a wire cage for each when theyget bigger

Originally Posted by Physicx

thats pretty metal man
devil.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You ain't kidding. The little bastard got up in theblinds, and by the time I got her out of them I looked like I had just stepped out of Nightmare on Elm street. It would climb out of it's cage at nightand claw the hell out of me. It bit me more times than I care to remember. Man I was never so happy to bury a pet when that thing finally died.

Originally Posted by Physicx

ninjallamafromhell wrote:

thats pretty metal man
devil.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
You ain't kidding. The little bastard got up in the blinds, and by the time I got her out of them I looked like I had just stepped out of Nightmare on Elm street. It would climb out of it's cage at night and claw the hell out of me. It bit me more times than I care to remember. Man I was never so happy to bury a pet when that thing finally died.

roll.gif
roll.gif
at your experience.

You might be better off spending less and getting a 10 gallon for the meantime for each, but you'll need to buy bigger housing in less than a year. A ten gallon tank is like what, $20 compared to a 120 gallon, which is around like $200 or something I think. You can then move up to a wire cage for each when they get bigger
Where and how much can I get those Wired Cages for?

And alright. I was gonna buy the 20 gallon for both tomorrow, but I should just get separate tanks.

laugh.gif
You ain't kidding. The little bastard got up in the blinds, and by the time I got her out of them I looked like I had just stepped out of Nightmare on Elm street. It would climb out of it's cage at night and claw the hell out of me. It bit me more times than I care to remember. Man I was never so happy to bury a pet when that thing finally died.

Damn. How old/big was it?

Originally Posted by JoRDaN201

You might be better off spending less and getting a 10 gallon for the meantime for each, but you'll need to buy bigger housing in less than a year. A ten gallon tank is like what, $20 compared to a 120 gallon, which is around like $200 or something I think. You can then move up to a wire cage for each when they get bigger
Where and how much can I get those Wired Cages for?

And alright. I was gonna buy the 20 gallon for both tomorrow, but I should just get separate tanks.

laugh.gif

Damn. How old/big was it?
I don't recall how old off the top of my head, several years for sure. It was probably about 4' from head to the tip of the tail. Cometo think of it I think it once whispered something Aramaic like The Exorcism of Emily Rose.

I just thought of another question:

1) Should I leave the Red Light for them to sleep at night or do I just turn it off and make it completely dark?

they barely sleep. Everytime I see them, they're awake.

Alright guys, anyone have an experience with that Reptarium Cages? I was thinking of buying 1.

Here's the thing. Buying the Baby Iguana was only 20 each.

But then you have to buy the following:

Tank
Day light
Night Light
Food Bowl
Water Bowl
Humidity Meter
Thermometer
And a bunch of other accessories.
i had two when i was younger, we had a 70 gallon tank, and had it split in the middle so each one had their own side

Originally Posted by JordanHead2

Bearded Dragon > _________________

i've had 2, they are the best, the first one i had was so chill, i had a lil leash for him and he would walk around outside, i even would ride my bike withhim on my shoulder

never had luck with iguana's, I had one when I was younger and it got infected with those tiny red mites and died, got another one as a sophomore in highschool and that one also got infected with red mites and died.

I just thought of another question:

1) Should I leave the Red Light for them to sleep at night or do I just turn it off and make it completely dark?

they barely sleep. Everytime I see them, they're awake.

You need to keep them warm, use the red heat lamps. Iguanas are.. well. tough. I hope you did your research before purchasing these animals. They have veryspecific care requirements and aren't typically for the first time reptile owner. Do you have supplements? Iguanas are prone to metabolic bone disease.UVA/UVB bulbs? Don't use heat rocks, they can damage their skin if the temp control fails. Once grown, they're going to need huge cages; much likethe ones you see big %*% parrots in. Iguanas like to climb, so they need height to their cages.

Should have went for the bearded dragon dude, awesome pets. I've owned reptiles for well over 10 years now and never, ever had the desire to own aniguana. they can put you in the hospital. especially the males.

Originally Posted by Nawth21

Don't use heat rocks, they can damage their skin if the temp control fails.
Had to learn that the hard way
tired.gif

I'm lucky, never had it happen to me but I've had a rheostat fail on me, damn thing nearly caught on fire so I do not even trust the so called"safe" hot rocks. There is no reason for them, with so many other safe options out there for heating reptile enclosures. Personally, for largeenclosures I'm a fan of radient heat panels or ceramic bulbs. You pay more up front but they last for so much longer, are easy to temp control anddon't give off lights so they can be used 24/7. But in a pinch, regular light bulbs give off a lot of heat but only at short distances.

Back
Top Bottom