Illinois marijuana bill signed into law

Didnt see anything posted regarding this, thoughts?

By Monique Garcia and Ray Long
Tribune reporters
3:28 p.m. CDT, August 1, 2013

Gov. Pat Quinn today signed a bill legalizing the use of marijuana for medical purposes in Illinois that supporters say is the strictest in the nation.

Jim Champion, a military veteran from Somonauk who suffers from multiple sclerosis, joined the governor at a bill signing ceremony at the University of Chicago. He told of the relief he gets from marijuana, which his wife indicated allows him to more than cut in half the number of pills he takes. Champion said he is glad he'll soon no longer be violating the law to get pain relief.

The law takes effect Jan. 1, but state regulators are likely to need months to come up with the rules. That means it could be until next summer before those suffering from 42 illnesses including cancer, AIDS and multiple sclerosis can legally seek relief through marijuana.
Under the new law, a person could be prescribed no more than 2.5 ounces of marijuana over two weeks. That's enough to fill two small sandwich bags. In addition, the prescribing doctor must have a prior and ongoing medical relationship with the patient. And a doctor must find that the patient has one of a few dozen serious or chronic conditions for the marijuana to be prescribed.
Patients would have to buy the marijuana from one of 60 dispensing centers throughout the state and would not be allowed to legally grow their own. Workers at dispensing centers would undergo criminal background checks, the stores would be under round-the-clock camera surveillance and users would carry cards that indicate how much they had bought to prevent stockpiling.

Marijuana would be grown inside 22 cultivation centers registered with the state.

The state agriculture, professional regulation and public health agencies need to figure out a way to determine who gets permits to open marijuana growing centers and dispensaries and to determine rules for physicians giving out cards allowing patients to obtain the marijuana.

For years, the measure had failed to gain traction at the Capitol, particularly in the House. But this spring sponsoring Rep. Lou Lang, D-Skokie, was able to cobble together the votes needed to send the bill to the Senate, where a similar but less restrictive bill had passed in previous years.

Quinn had said he'd keep an open mind on the issue and indicated that military veterans who suffered pain might get relief.
Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC

I'm glad it passed. But state controlled growing and distribution? I can't even trust this corrupted #$% state.

I'm glad it passed. But state controlled growing and distribution? I can't even trust this corrupted #$% state.
This might be the gov't's way of ruining weed. Only saving grace is independent growers selling it illegally (without a license I guess) to get that good stuff out there. I can expect them to do to weed what they did to cigarettes. Adding cyanide and cat piss to the ganja :smh:

I can expect them to do to weed what they did to cigarettes. Adding cyanide and cat piss to the ganja
mean.gif
i dont know about all that but i can def see them trying to create a similar type of social stigma towards bud similar to cigs. i can see those truth.com commercials adding bud and other groups are probably going to come out the woodwork with flagrantly redic ****.

:pimp: :smokin :nthat:

My homeboy from Illinois was telling me about this yesterday.
This is a great victory for advocates of medicinal marijuana.
20 states down 30 more states to go.

The momentum seems to be snowballing these last couple of years.
And all these broke states realize how much money there is to be made.
It wont be illegal nationwide for much longer

Last edited:
why is everyone excited,so its only  for medical purposes. 

Bruh, every small step counts.

Eventually like gay marriage, it'll be wildly accepted across the states. I give it 10 yrs until its officially being sold next to cigarettes.

Bruh, every small step counts.

Eventually like gay marriage, it'll be wildly accepted across the states. I give it 10 yrs until its officially being sold next to cigarettes.
I doubt it too much money is being made from the court systems the prison systems etc....for small petty possession crimes in certain target demographics for it to be widely accepted.

I don't ever want the govt to control the bud market would be horrible I need that fire

The only real thing holding it back is older Congressmen and women.
As more states go broke, their need for money will overpower the wants of certain lobbyists

I don't ever want the govt to control the bud market would be horrible I need that fire
as long as u can grow ur own, it doesn't matter who controls the market. Even if its illegal to grow and the govt wants to set up a monopoly...id still vote in favor of legalization with the possibility of later amendment

I mean its gonna be a long process. Medical to municipal took a min and its not even nation wide. Only a few states even have medical. The days of it goes into the constitution that weed will be all around legal to grow smoke is decades away. And you'll never ever ever be able to grow and sell without a heavy taxation.

If and when it does become legalized, I don't want them messing with the herb, adding unnecessary stuff like they do with cigs.

I doubt it too much money is being made from the court systems the prison systems etc....for small petty possession crimes in certain target demographics for it to be widely accepted.

Heavy taxes and even heavier prison time and fines for those who grow without a license will equal that out IMO.

What are the "42 illnesses" that the Illinois government declared debilitating enough for the patient to be prescribed medicinal buds?
Doctors around the globe have stated that marijuana helps some patients who suffer from anxiety, migraines, etc.
Will Illinois Doctors be able to prescribe medicinal buds for those conditions?
:nerd:

I can expect them to do to weed what they did to cigarettes. Adding cyanide and cat piss to the ganja :smh:

i dont know about all that but i can def see them trying to create a similar type of social stigma towards bud similar to cigs. i can see those truth.com commercials adding bud and other groups are probably going to come out the woodwork with flagrantly redic ****.
The only reason truth can do it is cuz of what the cig companies have done to their product.

What you're suggesting would simply be propaganda against bud.

I can expect them to do to weed what they did to cigarettes. Adding cyanide and cat piss to the ganja :smh:

lol they've been stigmatizing bud since the 1920's...wat u tombout?

Back
Top Bottom