Im 19 and about to have my own apartment.. FML

Tea parties?
devil.gif

Originally Posted by SalviBoy7

$800 gets you a studio in ghetto the richest black county, PG County, MD.
low housing availability and the high cost of living in the dc metro area ftl

Originally Posted by J Burner

How is this an L? Your 19 and your parents are willing to pay for you to live in your own apartment....
b/c she's smart enough to realize that living on your own isn't the best thing in the world all the time...especially at the young age of19.
OP. you're lucky to have parents who care about your needs and your own life

Do you have any family around you?
Do your parents have any close friends who could be a sort of surrogate family for you?

Tell your parents your concern...while they may immediately react by pulling the deal off...tell them that this should indeed show that you're being matureand thoughtful about the situation.

i see no L here...have a good friend move in pay your parents half the rent...that will save them some money...

your about to be 20, no reason you should fear living alone. not refrencing your family issue, that is a great situation to be in and cant your bf just movein?

You're being a wee-bit selfish here.

You want to stay in NYC because you've lived there your whole life. You want to stay in NYC because you want to go to FIT. You want to stay in NYC becauseyour BF of three years is there.

What about your family and your uncle? He's suffering from a terminal illness and all you can think about is you?

Your parents are under enough stress as it is. Don't make this any harder for them.

I can't make the decision for you but I would probably stay since you are planning on going to school soon. Do you have any friends that want to move outbecause they could move in with you for cheap rent?

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

How is this an L? Your 19 and your parents are willing to pay for you to live in your own apartment....
b/c she's smart enough to realize that living on your own isn't the best thing in the world all the time...especially at the young age of 19.

Do your parents have any close friends who could be a sort of surrogate family for you?

Tell your parents your concern...while they may immediately react by pulling the deal off...tell them that this should indeed show that you're being mature and thoughtful about the situation.

What you're saying is right to a point Dirty however....her parents obviously are going to keep taking care of her regardless, she has grown up in the areaso she has no shortage of friends around, and if being alone is a problem she can have a friend move in which gives her steady income/security. I don't seethe L here. It's a pretty awesome situation to be in actually IMO.

Originally Posted by eye see soles

You want to stay in NYC because you've lived there your whole life. You want to stay in NYC because you want to go to FIT. You want to stay in NYC because your BF of three years is there.

What about your family and your uncle? He's suffering from a terminal illness and all you can think about is you?

Your parents are under enough stress as it is. Don't make this any harder for them.

I do feel like I may be acting a little selfish. It is a tough situation to be in. I dont know if it is realistic at all for mepersonally to uproot my entire life & the plans I had for the future. I would not really be much help over there. Im not saying im not going to go overthere once a month or how ever many times I can and visit but living there I dont think is an option for me.

Originally Posted by Dirtylicious

b/c she's smart enough to realize that living on your own isn't the best thing in the world all the time...especially at the young age of 19.

Tell your parents your concern...while they may immediately react by pulling the deal off...tell them that this should indeed show that you're being mature and thoughtful about the situation.

I am planning to tell them how I feel about it. I just dont want to put them in a position where they feel they need to choose between meor my uncle. My parents do have a few close friends that I think I would be able to go to if anything, im not too close to them but my parents are.

this is a pretty tough situation. if the op has never lived alone then there will for sure be some uncomfortable situations especially given the fact that thesituation just abruptly came up as it seems. on the same token, you are an adult and have been given an opportunity (albeit one under not the best ofcircumstances) to start your own life. uprooting your life at this point imo would be a bigger shock to the system then doing the natural process of living onyour own. sure its gonna be uncomfortable and weird for the first couple months as you have plenty of doubts, but as time passes you will be able to come intoyour own and see who you are.

i say take the opportunity to try it out, if you cant make it, then you'll get the opportunity to go back to your fam. but a chance no taken is a chancewasted and this seems like a good time to see if you can step into your own world.

best of luck with your choice and your fam.

Originally Posted by Whateversclever

I'm sure you have a friend who is looking to move out.

get them as a roommate. you get money and you aren't living alone. Problem solved.

I wouldn't live with room mates...It's cool for a while but then you'll want your privacy and you'll want to do things your way as far as theapartment thing goes. ..Don't do the room mate thing...just get a dog or a pet. Believe me, It's tough sometimes. Good luck...

Get a friend to move in with you or your man if you dont wanna live alone. Trust you dont wanna give up a rent stabilize apartment in NY. Especially 800 amonth for a two bedroom. But like its been said you do seem like you just wanna live with your parents forever. I mean If my parents was about to pay for anapartment then I would be there in a second. Just always have someone at the crib wit you to chill if you dont want a roommate. But if being alone is your mainproblem I dont see why you couldnt have one of your friends move in with you. Hell charge em 2 or 300 a month im sure anyone would jump at that in NY. Andthats pocket money for you.

I live alone and its great. If you are home and alone and dont want to be you can invite people over or leave. Dont you have friends?

Get one of you friends, I know you have those. Have em move in and pay like 300 a month. Your almost 20, I'm 18 planning to be out by 19.

Originally Posted by AllenIversonFan01

Get a friend to move in with you or your man if you dont wanna live alone. Trust you dont wanna give up a rent stabilize apartment in NY. Especially 800 a month for a two bedroom. But like its been said you do seem like you just wanna live with your parents forever. I mean If my parents was about to pay for an apartment then I would be there in a second. Just always have someone at the crib wit you to chill if you dont want a roommate. But if being alone is your main problem I dont see why you couldnt have one of your friends move in with you. Hell charge em 2 or 300 a month im sure anyone would jump at that in NY. And thats pocket money for you.
Well I asked my boyfriend to move in - but the only problem is he lives in NJ now and goes to school there. He thinks thatit will be too far of a commute to go to and from school.

Originally Posted by gORJESS

Originally Posted by eye see soles

You want to stay in NYC because you've lived there your whole life. You want to stay in NYC because you want to go to FIT. You want to stay in NYC because your BF of three years is there.

I do feel like I may be acting a little selfish. It is a tough situation to be in. I dont know if it is realistic at all for me personally to uproot my entire life & the plans I had for the future. I would not really be much help over there. Im not saying im not going to go over there once a month or how ever many times I can and visit but living there I dont think is an option for me.
Then what exactly are you asking?

Originally Posted by gORJESS

I think I would hate living alone.
If that's your biggest problem than you really don't have one. Don't act like your boyfroend wont be staying over most of the time too
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom